Water density oscillations

There is a mechanic in the game where if the mass of a water tile is too high, the water sort of explodes upward.  This causes compressed water's mass to strongly tend towards the top.

I believe this mechanic is the cause of a major mass duplication bug, detailed in the post below.

• Like 2

@Zarquan thanks. I read it, but I still didn't understand anything. Except that the mechanics probably don't work right. I have low water pressure (1500 kg per cell). It does not need to spread out, since it initially has the same density everywhere. And it is the oscillations that look strange.

I came across this mechanics on a water asteroid when, during excavation, the water first sank down, then after a while there were very powerful upward impacts with incredible density.You say that at the same time the amount of water also increases?

There is a gravity too. You can't have two water tiles 1500kg on top of each other because the bottom one will get a little bit of compression. When You stack up several tiles the bottom one can be compressed to the point where 'eruption' occurs leading to significant redistribution of mass.
If you ever visit water world asteroid in Spaced Out You will see it is happening constantly. And it is working as intended.

Actually the same You can see in oil biome where there are some cavities filled with significant amount of crude oil and the mass distribution is also varying.

If You want to avoid this behaviour use a little bit less water. I think 1200 on top one would do the trick.

22 hours ago, Alexander Block said:

You say that at the same time the amount of water also increases?

I don't think the mass increase happens at those pressures, it is more of an issue where it compresses down until it experiences a chain reaction of liquid expansion, but I should probably run an experiment on a water planet and see if the mass increases.

@Zarquan I built a narrow well (1x200 cells), and filled it with water (1000 kg per cell). The water is compressed below to a pressure of 1500 kg per cell, after which the mass is teleported somewhere. Since the compression is uneven, I have not yet been able to get oscillations. Also, in the previous scheme, there are no oscillations until the compression of 1.5 of the max mass is reached.