Ocean Trip Prep Tips, Please

36 minutes ago, The Starver said:

So, my friend and I have made a ton of complete nightmares of boat trips, often ending our run. 

How and what do you prepare to make a trip to Pearl's Island, Lunar Island, or Moon Quay, for example?

A grass Raft, and a single driftwood oar, once out at sea.. get more driftwood to craft more oars.

Trust me, I killed CrabKing (in the most boring way possible..) using grass rafts, so I’m very aware of their usefulness.

Theyre smaller, they’re faster, they’re temporary, and they can’t get leaks so you never need to deal with the pain that is boat leak patches.

For this reason alone, they are the most effective way to deal with farming near cookie cutters. 

You don’t need anything more than that, and if your playing as Wilson or Willow- your skills to make torches/lighters as bright as a lantern, also means you don’t even need to bring a lantern.

You can even use a pinching winch on a grass raft to fish up ocean debris- but doing this will cost you the winch obviously…

(you don’t truly need any long term permanent boat) at least from my experience with them anyway.

And adding sails to them just has you smash into seastack formations- which isn’t fun.

Speaking of smashing into SeaStacks on purpose.. a grass raft fully equipped with a shell bumper, and as little as a driftwood oar will clear all those problems for you.

(be mindful to bring extra grass/twigs for repairs)

Don't build anything on the boat - its a trap.  Just put down an empty boat, and get some drift wood for ores.  Grass boat is fine.  When you find a bottle you'll see Pearl's island on the map.  If its close to you, start paddling over.  If its not, get back on land, run to the shore by her island and launch from there.  Bring some drift wood with you to make the second trip easier.

14 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

Don't build anything on the boat - its a trap.

What about floating minibases? I've seen lots of those. When can you do those?

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I killed CrabKing (in the most boring way possible..) using grass rafts

How do you do that? We're trying to get to the new rift content as fast as we can, and it's really hard, considering we're new players.

By the way, how do you make BS gear if you turn rifts always on? Is it still tied to killing CC or the Celestial Altars? Or can I just go out and craft a Brightsmithy right away (somehow)?

If you're making a pretty boat to search Moon Quay or map out the ocean... BRING A PANFLUTE. I read they nerfed monkeys so much it was almost impossible to have an encounter. Surprise monkeys do spawn and destroy your boat and your life and your will to try again..

37 minutes ago, The Starver said:

How do you do that? We're trying to get to the new rift content as fast as we can, and it's really hard, considering we're new players.

By the way, how do you make BS gear if you turn rifts always on? Is it still tied to killing CC or the Celestial Altars? Or can I just go out and craft a Brightsmithy right away (somehow)?

Rift content is tied directly to rift content, so if you enable this early you have access to the content rifts are intended to interact with.

To build the Brightsmithy you’ll need to go vist Pearl or lunar island, or maybe even the cave grotto (idk not sure on this one..) but you can craft the smithy without fighting CC.

Im unsure about the Caves rift stuff though- I’ve barely touched it..

As far as how to kill CK in a easy boring way, one grass raft, a line of bee mines on the edge of said raft, a rudder to rotate the raft so all the bee mines hit him and activate, and then a second additional grass raft to paddle around in circles away from his pinchers, should you happen to get caught by the pinchers- Build a new grass raft it’s not worth fighting it off, your main focus in this fight is to endlessly, and boringly paddle around and around in a circle avoiding the geysers, and pinchers, while the bees do all the work for you.

59 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

As far as how to kill CK in a easy boring way, one grass raft, a line of bee mines on the edge of said raft, a rudder to rotate the raft so all the bee mines hit him and activate, and then a second additional grass raft to paddle around in circles away from his pinchers, should you happen to get caught by the pinchers- Build a new grass raft it’s not worth fighting it off, your main focus in this fight is to endlessly, and boringly paddle around and around in a circle avoiding the geysers, and pinchers, while the bees do all the work for you.

Oh, yeah! I think I saw that one! Probably the worst parts are the setup and the waiting.

Just curious, how long does it take on average, and what gems do you use?

4 minutes ago, The Starver said:

Oh, yeah! I think I saw that one! Probably the worst parts are the setup and the waiting.

Just curious, how long does it take on average, and what gems do you use?

I honestly have no idea, and I used whatever gems I could find laying around on the ground (so red or blue) be aware that once you socket pearls Pearl in CK that this is going to massively beef him up, you can fight CK without the Pearl, but rather unfortunately.. you need to fight Pearl Socketed CK so I really don’t understand why players even have an option to fight a weaker version of him- when socketing the Pearl is going to make him stronger anyway.

Just: Use bee Mines, 20-40 should do, bring a lantern or torch for night time, and paddle around and around in circles.

CK has an AoE attack that lowers nearby temperatures so you’ll probably want to bring a thermal stone and place a campfire on the boat to stay warm (I recommend the new and smaller cult of the lamb firepit which is upgradable.)

With any luck- it shouldn’t take you too long. This method isn’t 100% guaranteed to work though due to DSTs RNG 

I actually had to restart the fight a few times thanks to random things happening like a RockJaw shark spawning and pulling the bees aggro off CK dragging them away.

(ugh so frustrating)

Also do note that once you use bees, and they kill CK, that you’ll now have random bees just flying/floating around in your ocean.

they don’t despawn or have a home to return to so they’ll just be out there till something kills them.

6 hours ago, The Starver said:

As fun as they are in theory, they are kinda a trap.  Its a lot of work to base on the ocean, much more than its worth.  Structures block pathing which can be a real drag if a shark decides to jump on your ship, you have to deal with wavey, or monkey pirates come up.  Worst of it is that even if you get a good base up, all you're going to do is park it next to wherever on the main land you want to go anyway b/c there isn't much on the ocean to stay there for.  I used to love doing boat bases, but its just not worth it.

2 hours ago, Yuuko said:

As fun as they are in theory, they are kinda a trap.  Its a lot of work to base on the ocean, much more than its worth.  Structures block pathing which can be a real drag if a shark decides to jump on your ship, you have to deal with wavey, or monkey pirates come up.  Worst of it is that even if you get a good base up, all you're going to do is park it next to wherever on the main land you want to go anyway b/c there isn't much on the ocean to stay there for.  I used to love doing boat bases, but its just not worth it.

i have one friend that always do boat base. going around the sea trading sea stuff/lunar/monkey island stuff or loots. 
he even make his boat have what he called "crittical speed" that when u smash the sea stacks the boat will take damage but didnt get any leak. so what he does is just smash every sea stack in the ocean lol. 
maybe later when he online i can ask if i can give u his "ship" (he refuse to call it boat) build

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

CK has an AoE attack that lowers nearby temperatures so you’ll probably want to bring a thermal stone and place a campfire on the boat to stay warm (I recommend the new and smaller cult of the lamb firepit which is upgradable)

you'll go back to normal temperature in a few seconds unless it's winter atm and in that case you should have a thermal stone anyway, you're not supposed to trigger the freeze when using bees, don't use bee mines, get killer bees instead

you don't need anything except a log oar until you get a driftwood oar and a wood boat to not make multiple winches and fire pits if lunar, crabby hermit and CK aren't separated by mainland

Don't build anything on boats! - that's what only those who can't sail 4 sails say.

As a rule, I build several rafts. In the current world, I have 3 rafts. 

The first one was made to explore the ocean, but was later converted into a raft for fishing, to collect the fruits of tall trees and hermit quests. It's parked closer to Hermit Island.

While sailing on the first raft, I found all the necessary objects. But all the necessary islands were located at different ends of the map. Therefore, the second raft was intended for sailing to the lunar landing, and the third raft for sailing to the lunar island.

If all the necessary facilities were located close to each other, then one raft would be enough.

All rafts are different from each other, as they serve different purposes. But the most basic thing that I put on the raft is: an eye (to open the sea map to other players), at least 3 sails (in order to swim fast and not waste time), maybe a refrigerator. As well as objects according to the situation: a winch, a fish refrigerator, a tackle station, etc.

The sea is certainly not as interesting as it could be. But still, sailing is an important aspect and I try to make it comfortable for me.

And yes, I have no problem not crashing into rocks in the sea. But 10 patches in stock will not be superfluous.

Build what you want when you can afford it, as sinking a boat is costly so you should only invest what you're okay with losing. Eventually you can use sails, and when you're comfortable with it enough you might find it worth going for sooner.

Learning how to bump into stuff with Driftwood Oars without causing leaks also helps, as it can help with predicting when you might get one while also being a convenient way to mine.

Archived