Opinions on Skill trees

Opinion on skill trees?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. what is your opinion on skill trees?

• They are good
    • They are okay
    • They are bad
    • I don't have a preference

2 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

I'm honestly just ignoring them mainly because they feel like they don't entirely belong in the game. I'm still conflicted on whether they feel like cheating to me or not. Willow being able to just magically remove fires seems pretty overkill, what is the importance of fire management with flingos, waterbombs and lureplants, if I can just poof it?

I mean... what is the point of the farming tab if wormwood can simply plant on regular turf...

7 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

I'm honestly just ignoring them mainly because they feel like they don't entirely belong in the game. I'm still conflicted on whether they feel like cheating to me or not. Willow being able to just magically remove fires seems pretty overkill, what is the importance of fire management with flingos, waterbombs and lureplants, if I can just poof it?

Even if they didn't give skill trees, but gave a few re-refreshes and touch ups to the cast members that need them I think Willow would have received all of this.  She was too vanilla for too long.  Its great Klei finally let her be more then Wilson with a lighter (sometimes.  For a lot of fights she's still just Wilson with a lighter.)

6 hours ago, Yuuko said:

Even if they didn't give skill trees, but gave a few re-refreshes and touch ups to the cast members that need them I think Willow would have received all of this.  She was too vanilla for too long.  Its great Klei finally let her be more then Wilson with a lighter (sometimes.  For a lot of fights she's still just Wilson with a lighter.)

Tbh, I never really understood people's gripe with Willow. She is THE character of choice in Lights Out, she is awesome to support new players, who are learning the game and I just find her really enjoyable to play due to her well-written personality. She isn't just Wilson with a lighter, she always had unique traits and personally I still prefer those traits that come naturally with your character as interactions with the world and don't require spending experience points in an extra UI to upgrade your skills. I would probably like it more if new skills were implemented in another way than through the skilltrees. Skill trees have now created the demand for every single character to get one, which works out for some characters, but will lead to having to make up an additional bunch of skills for characters, who already have a variety of traits, causing a lot of bloated, unneeded extras around certain characters; at leadt thats what I fear.

2 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Tbh, I never really understood people's gripe with Willow. She is THE character of choice in Lights Out, she is awesome to support new players, who are learning the game and I just find her really enjoyable to play due to her well-written personality. She isn't just Wilson with a lighter, she always had unique traits and personally I still prefer those traits that come naturally with your character as interactions with the world and don't require spending experience points in an extra UI to upgrade your skills. I would probably like it more if new skills were implemented in another way than through the skilltrees. Skill trees have now created the demand for every single character to get one, which works out for some characters, but will lead to having to make up an additional bunch of skills for characters, who already have a variety of traits, causing a lot of bloated, unneeded extras around certain characters; at leadt thats what I fear.

I don't care about lights out.  Willow's perks become useless after only a few days into the game.  She is far too vanilla.

Her personality is great - but this isn't a game about having a quirky personality.  We're fighting bosses, farming crops, and building bases.  She needs a bit more than "OMG TREE BURN" and a free torch.

9 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

I don't care about lights out.  Willow's perks become useless after only a few days into the game.  She is far too vanilla.

Her personality is great - but this isn't a game about having a quirky personality.  We're fighting bosses, farming crops, and building bases.  She needs a bit more than "OMG TREE BURN" and a free torch.

I see where you're coming from, I just personally want the characters to be a bit "vanilla" - because, wouldn't they otherwise feel "modded" then?

9 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

but this isn't a game about having a quirky personality. 

That honestly hurt a bit, because in a way, it once was and that's part of what I love about this game.

4 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

I see where you're coming from, I just personally want the characters to be a bit "vanilla" - because, wouldn't they otherwise feel "modded" then?

That honestly hurt a bit, because in a way, it once was and that's part of what I love about this game.

I do agree about the vanilla statement. Sometimes it's okay to have some characters be more simple compared to others. 

7 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

Don't get me wrong - the personality is still there and still a big part of the game - but at about Wendy in the refreshes they started ramping things up.  When everyone was pretty tame with mostly mild talents it was okay to be Wilson with a lighter.  But looking at where much of the cast is now Willow could not rightly be left as Wilson with a lighter anymore.  It was unfair for her especially since most of her DST life has be plagued with purposefully bad kits b/c Klei was so paranoid about the grief potential of spawning in with a lighter...

Willow deserved to finally get a kit that was actually good - and it kinda almost is.  Its not so great like Wolfgang, Wanda, or Maxwell but against a decent amount of enemies you can at least light them up and use Burning Frenzy, and of course lunar flame is great for clearing hounds or monkeys.  She's a solid B tier now.

My opinion on skill trees in general is...OOF, I'm behind ENOUGH on learning all the new stuff that got added since the last time I played, just...go away and let me have some quiet, concentrating gameplay, for a bit! I feel now as if I've downloaded way too many DLCs, and now I regret some of those purchases and want to just turn some of them off sometimes. It's too...cluttered. Even when I ignore all the new optional fights, I still have pop-ups and arrows and waypoints and "You discovered: Rocks! Good job!" and now I have another thing in the corner of the screen to tell me when I earned a skillpoint.

FOR PETE'S SAKE JUST LET ME EXPLORE AND FARM AND DO THINGS AT MY OWN PACE GOD DAMMIT.

DST as it is now is overcomplicated and feels very ADHD, and some of the later additions don't even feel like Don't Starve to me. Not even an _easier_ version of Don't Starve. It's starting to feel like some damn phone game with lootcrates. Well  maybe not that bad (yet) but it's...it's just...it's not itself anymore.

And what it IS, nowadays, won't stop freaking popping up and bugging me like an annoying little puppy. I might like the skilltrees if they happened BEFORE the notebook/waypoints thingie, the stage thingie in the wilderness and the Terraria crossover chest that glows temptingly. I like skills. I love learning all the techs in, say, Civilization. But now, the addition of the skilltrees feels like just another fiddly little annoying thing to keep track of! There's too many....things! Don't Starve was never REALLY relaxing in Survival Mode (what I typically play) because hounds, weather problems, etc. but at least you got a few days between those. During those days, you could relaxingly play "H.P. Lovecraft's 'Stardew Valley'" to your content.

I just wanna play my old playstyle (or close to it) in a version of Don't Starve that has pets, holidays, clothes, and sailable oceans. Sigh.

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

My opinion on skill trees in general is...OOF, I'm behind ENOUGH on learning all the new stuff that got added since the last time I played, just...go away and let me have some quiet, concentrating gameplay, for a bit! I feel now as if I've downloaded way too many DLCs, and now I regret some of those purchases and want to just turn some of them off sometimes. It's too...cluttered. Even when I ignore all the new optional fights, I still have pop-ups and arrows and waypoints and "You discovered: Rocks! Good job!" and now I have another thing in the corner of the screen to tell me when I earned a skillpoint.

FOR PETE'S SAKE JUST LET ME EXPLORE AND FARM AND DO THINGS AT MY OWN PACE GOD DAMMIT.

DST as it is now is overcomplicated and feels very ADHD, and some of the later additions don't even feel like Don't Starve to me. Not even an _easier_ version of Don't Starve. It's starting to feel like some damn phone game with lootcrates. Well  maybe not that bad (yet) but it's...it's just...it's not itself anymore.

And what it IS, nowadays, won't stop freaking popping up and bugging me like an annoying little puppy. I might like the skilltrees if they happened BEFORE the notebook/waypoints thingie, the stage thingie in the wilderness and the Terraria crossover chest that glows temptingly. I like skills. I love learning all the techs in, say, Civilization. But now, the addition of the skilltrees feels like just another fiddly little annoying thing to keep track of! There's too many....things! Don't Starve was never REALLY relaxing in Survival Mode (what I typically play) because hounds, weather problems, etc. but at least you got a few days between those. During those days, you could relaxingly play "H.P. Lovecraft's 'Stardew Valley'" to your content.

I just wanna play my old playstyle (or close to it) in a version of Don't Starve that has pets, holidays, clothes, and sailable oceans. Sigh.

...Notorious

Gee, calm down. Just leave the scrapbook pop up in the corner the next time it says you discovered something and don't click it. The next time you discover something new it won't make a sound and will just stay hanging there. As to landmarks with question mark arrows, clicking on each one once will remove those question marks forever. There are is only about a dozen of them in the game anyway, once you discover (and learn) them all the game will stop bugging you with those way points. 

As to skill trees, if you are too annoyed by constant insight pop-ups, you can just make a fresh world and do c_skip(150) to unlock all skill points for a character, then you won't get bothered with each new one again. You can just leave them hanging in the corner if you don't want to use skill trees. I also felt overwhelmed when skill trees came out, it's too much information dumped at you at once and it's hard to figure out what they do and how it all works. I just took it slowly and ignored skill trees as they came out and instead played the game how I liked it. Later when I felt like I was ready to try, I picked a character that had a skill tree and started a new world with it and slowly earned insight points, pausing after each one and carefully reading what options are there in the skill tree and where I can invest it. Getting an insight point became an excitement, not an annoyance. But nobody is forcing you to play and learn skill trees. If you don't like it, just continue with your game and ignore the insight in the corner. I still haven't touched some of them and it's fine - I just don't play those characters so I'm not very interested in learning their new perks. 

Archived