Gheysar keeps blowing my tiles- need halp!

On 1/3/2024 at 2:44 PM, squanter187 said:

earlier i mentioned that the 'its not a bug but a feature' is getting old as I would not be surprised if devs would straight up say that instead of dealing with this, and yeh if devs say liquid airlocks are a feature i disagree as its a cheese to the max for me. its not like its a first time the aforementioned phrase was used and made fun of

also this thread reminds me of PoE forums after path notes, which is hilarious

oh n the other guy needs to lighten up

Wuh? ONI is a simulation, things work in the simulation and are part of the game. Devs use liquid locks in trailer as they're a use of the game's physics and a way to play the game.

We've got people superheating the inside of their spaceships to melt the steel so the inside of their spaceship is bigger. Is it something I'd do? No, but I don't declare it an invalid way of playing.

You're grumpily making lego structures using only the rectangular blocks, while grumbling that using the electric motors and Technic pieces are cheating. Maybe you ARE getting old!

6 hours ago, Fleetfeet said:

Wuh? ONI is a simulation, things work in the simulation and are part of the game. Devs use liquid locks in trailer as they're a use of the game's physics and a way to play the game.

We've got people superheating the inside of their spaceships to melt the steel so the inside of their spaceship is bigger. Is it something I'd do? No, but I don't declare it an invalid way of playing.

You're grumpily making lego structures using only the rectangular blocks, while grumbling that using the electric motors and Technic pieces are cheating. Maybe you ARE getting old!

Let's not bring rocket melting into this....

I'll call it invalid. No achievements for you. 

Personally advocate for rockets exploding if lauched with damage core tiles.

I'd also like to see more modular...modules. an maybe the ability to build over core tiles. Make a big window green room. Grow gmo foods.

Edited by cyberwarlord

Personally, I don't like the Escher waterfall effect, but the idea of substituting buildings that do stuff with more optimal solutions engineered from more basic elements is one of the core aspects that of the game that add an extra depth to it, in my opinion.

For instance, I'm somewhat proud of my personal design of infinite water storage that is made with Mechanized Airlocks. I reverse-engineered the concept from the information about liquid pressure mechanics from forums and game wiki. I use it instead of the waterfalls, both avoiding the "mechanics" I don't like, and benefiting from an infinite storage.
It also can be rewired into liquid deleter without dupe interaction, which makes colonies salvageable from the memory errors mentioned in this thread (although I had to do this only once, it successfully saved my colony from the "black hole" ending).

As a cherry on top, you can add a sense of achievement that comes from compiling all the information I collected into my own version of what I was trying to build. Hundreeds of hours of gameplay passed since the moment I figured out how to build my liquid compressor, dosens of copies of that structure were built across multiple colonies, but it still warms my heart when dupes finish builng one, I finally connect the Timer Sensor, and the whole thing comes to live. Things like that make the game enjoyable for me - a sense of invention and going on the road that wasn't paved for me by the devs, but left as a hidden path in a blend of the game framework and my imagination.

I think that liquid pressure and compression mechanics are more of unexplored territory for the game, rather than collection of questionable and buggy rules.
Just look at this at the different angle - what if the infinite or really high-density compression was the reward for obtaining some kind of rare/high-tech resource? Like extreme pressure-resistant tiles or background buildings that affect liquid/gas density - whatever seems fitting in the role of high-tech/future tech components that were made specificly to "tame" that "realistic" aspect the game physics.

Revising those mechanics and removing "cheesy" stuff, such as making airflow tiles and airlocks breakable may make game more complex and challenging, but it wouldn't make player base happier as-is, because the frustration of players that are not happy with "exploits" would be replaced by the frustration of those that were happy with the "feature".
If it such changes were be branded as a rework/expansion, preserve the core idea of the subject - compression of liquids and gases in order to optimize the storage - and present an interesting and fair challenge to achieve it - that could be both beneficial for the game and add more value to the process of "making the thing", without making as much people less happy about their expirience.

After all, this is the game about future where

Spoiler

group of scientist create superhuman clones that can lift and carry more than 2000 kg of cargo for an extended period of time, then invent a source of infinite energy (causing universe to respond with creation of indestructible material as an "immune system reaction"), then a printer that can print anything from simple inorganic matter to fully living creature and composite materials, such as steel. Then they also create teleporting technology, techincally surpassing the speed of light.

And finally they end up blowing third of the Earth into into pieces in the catastrophic space-time incident, additionally opening a portal to the multiverse as a result.

So I think that surpasing the limits of the "real world" physics in the name of creativity and fun (or long-term survival and profit) is thematically fitting, given such a premise for the game.

• Like 1

Infinitive storage may or may not be bug itself. But it tightly connected with two definitely bugs: it cause liquid duplication. Right know there is no way to avoid it, it always happens when mass in cell become too big.