My thoughts on the Wigfrid and Willow beta

Heyo after a couple days of play I feel like I have a good grasp on how the skill trees are meant to work. First off I just want to give props to Klei for the skill tree's this time I am very much enjoying the new mechanics and tools available at our disposal. Here are my takes on it:

Wigfrid:
- I'm personally a big fan of how the new Wigfrid stuff can get durability back. Though I gotta say, using the new spear's attack doesn't really do much besides that even though it's cool. My opinion? Give it a tinsi bit more invisibility frames so you can use it as a makeshift dodge.

On the topic of the dash ability I do think personally as it is a "spell" it should be given only when it's charged with static. I mean maybe balance wise i'm not sure if it would fit but I just think that logically it makes sense. Not sure about this one so I would like to see your guy's opinion.

- It's kind of weird on how you can't ride a beefalo with these new weapons in hand. Or how the option pops up but you can't use your charge to get off.

- The beefalo skills definitely need a buff on the other hand. Like why on earth is the new Wigfrid exclusive saddle SLOWER then not only the basic one, but slower then EVERY other saddle in the game, even the War saddle! Like why go through all of this trouble to make a battle saddle only for it to be worst then every other saddle in the game? Why have armour on if you can just be fast enough to dodge it? Why does it do less then 3 times the damage of the war saddle? You gotta buff this Klei please i'm beggin ya

image.png.b15ecf3c2b2aa315738359921c2d4109.png

Willow:
- I feel like the shadow fire should definitely go through other mobs instead of stopping at them. I mean after all the lunar counterpart can shred hoards of small enemies and I feel like by comparison this one feels underpowered.

- The rest of the new fire powers are cool but I don't really see the point to one of them in particular. Spells like fireball and probably combustion (as of right now it does not work so it's hard to tell) are good as is but other spells like flame cast I hardly see the point of. I get it's a really cheap spell but why set something on fire when you can just use my lighter? Am I missing something i'm not sure?

I get the intent behind controlled burning, fires not spreadings sounds okay on paper, But in practice it sucks. As Willow you WANT to set massive fires for easy sanity. I think this is meant so that Willow doesn't get instant banned? Seems rather counterintuitive if you ask me. On the other hand I do really like the burnable loot just smolders and the 100% ignition abilities those are nice

- Why is burning bernie locked behind EIGHT other Bernie skills? Like what is the point of that? It's not that strong of an ability and needing to pick up so many is just unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

image.jpeg.d59f1753b3fb8ab7db9f66383763a3ff.jpeg

image.jpeg.c114c5f17fe08c3e1d65a97818c4d1be.jpeg
Overall I do like these skill tree's they are fun but it's just little things like that that tend to bother me. I would love to hear what any of you have to say on these a second opinion would be nice. Anyways thanks for reading whoever you are, cheers.

10 minutes ago, HalfBigBang said:

- The rest of the new fire powers are cool but I don't really see the point to one of them in particular. Spells like fireball and probably combustion (as of right now it does not work so it's hard to tell) are good as is but other spells like flame cast I hardly see the point of. I get it's a really cheap spell but why set something on fire when you can just use my lighter? Am I missing something i'm not sure?

Flame cast does double the burn damage of normally lighting something on fire but I do agree it should probably be higher to be more worthwhile since I imagine combustion does double damage as well.

12 minutes ago, HalfBigBang said:

I get the intent behind controlled burning, fires not spreadings sounds okay on paper, But in practice it sucks. As Willow you WANT to set massive fires for easy sanity. I think this is meant so that Willow doesn't get instant banned? Seems rather counterintuitive if you ask me. On the other hand I do really like the burnable loot just smolders and the 100% ignition abilities those are nice

There's a thread about making torches be excluded from the perk and I agree that it'd be a good idea.

14 minutes ago, HalfBigBang said:

- I feel like the shadow fire should definitely go through other mobs instead of stopping at them. I mean after all the lunar counterpart can shred hoards of small enemies and I feel like by comparison this one feels underpowered.

Yea I've yet to see anyone really even try the shadow side since the lunar side is just flat out superior short of needing to aim and hurting Bernie and friends.

16 minutes ago, HalfBigBang said:

- Why is burning bernie locked behind EIGHT other Bernie skills? Like what is the point of that? It's not that strong of an ability and needing to pick up so many is just unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

I feel the main thing that hurts with this is that the affinity doesn't count as a Bernie skill and that most of the Bernie skills range from bad to okay I guess.despite being required.

New Willow seems a lot more menu heavy, switching from lighter to real weapon to damage, then back to absorb the ember, and the embers themselves. Will take more practice before I’m comfortable.

I will probably drop the pseudo star for a brighter lighter and the damage buff is a potential drop too if the menuing annoys me.

The Bernie side is ok for making a tank even tankier, nothing excites me, but I love the look of lunar Bernie.

8 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

New Willow seems a lot more menu heavy, switching from lighter to real weapon to damage, then back to absorb the ember, and the embers themselves. Will take more practice before I’m comfortable.

I will probably drop the pseudo star for a brighter lighter and the damage buff is a potential drop too if the menuing annoys me.

The Bernie side is ok for making a tank even tankier, nothing excites me, but I love the look of lunar Bernie.

I do like how there isn't really one (main) way to do the skill tree's at least not yet, which I think is a step up from Woodie's skill tree or even WX's circuits with the speed/moggles. Although yeah the Bernie stuff isn't particularly exciting when compared to friggen fire magic

Archived