Beefalo problem. And the idea behind the skill tree.

Just now, NoodlemanNed said:

i think you overestimate how fast beefalo actually are in the earlygame. yes are a big improvement over base walking but all the characters you mentioned will be moving faster than a default beefalo with a default saddle.

Maybe I actually do overestimate the beefalo movespeed early game; either way I think both of us could agree that it could be a little bit slower for the first 20% domestication process and only then be faster. It would make a bit more sense. 

On another note, the beefalo movespeed early game is no joke and shouldn't be underestimated also.

1 minute ago, Swiyss said:

either way I think both of us could agree that it could be a little bit slower for the first 20% domestication process and only then be faster

i dont agree with this because thats how the current system already works. early on you get bucked off a lot which significantly reduces how fast you can travel overall, its only after several days where it starts to feel very reliable, but even then its still far from the power you get at full domestication. Picking a few twigs to feed your beefalo every day is also another cost, which albeit small, is still a shift in gameplay compared to what you would need to do otherwise.

Just now, NoodlemanNed said:

i dont agree with this because thats how the current system already works. early on you get bucked off a lot which significantly reduces how fast you can travel overall, its only after several days where it starts to feel very reliable, but even then its still far from the power you get at full domestication. Picking a few twigs to feed your beefalo every day is also another cost, which albeit small, is still a shift in gameplay compared to what you would need to do otherwise.

Well I guess I'm fine with how things are since beefalos aren't gonna be meta forever thanks to the new additions in the game. I hope Klei either forgets about them completely and keep the system how it is as you say or just rework it to make it better and actually focus on late-game domesticated fur cows. And in the future we won't have 3 Maxwells per server riding on a beefalo and spamming shadow magic all over the place, right?

Now if you think is fine by now, don't you also think Wigfrid's skill tree is also fine? Even if she gets more benefits from the perks, what's the ceilling? How high can we go?

Can beefalos do 100 damage a hit?

Attacking on foot is better and will forever be. Fur cows should not counter character's downsides. Beefalo speed shouldn't be that high early game.

25 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Well I guess I'm fine with how things are since beefalos aren't gonna be meta forever thanks to the new additions in the game. I hope Klei either forgets about them completely and keep the system how it is as you say or just rework it to make it better and actually focus on late-game domesticated fur cows. And in the future we won't have 3 Maxwells per server riding on a beefalo and spamming shadow magic all over the place, right?

Now if you think is fine by now, don't you also think Wigfrid's skill tree is also fine? Even if she gets more benefits from the perks, what's the ceilling? How high can we go?

Can beefalos do 100 damage a hit?

Attacking on foot is better and will forever be. Fur cows should not counter character's downsides. Beefalo speed shouldn't be that high early game.

They added Beefalos to the single player version of Dont starve, and mobs in that game has like 4x less health than they do in DST. So I’m sorry to tell you this- But Powerful fur cow mounts are here to stay.

Not just in DST, But now also in DS too!

And all I have to say about that, is I laugh at the thought of how much easier of a time I would’ve had in beating Solo DS if I had a Fur Cow.

At least with DST, if you play Alone without a large group of players: The Fur Cow balances out the higher hp & damage of enemy mobs scaled for otherwise: Multiple Players.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

And all I have to say about that, is I laugh at the thought of how much easier of a time I would’ve had in beating Solo DS if I had a Fur Cow.

So you like things being easier. So that means that you would love a saddle that gives 50% movespeed and 68 damage at all times. Would you? Do you also want boats to be cheaper? I bet you hate on oceans because of the sea stacks in the way, right? I guess you would love to play with too many items enable? I bet you also reroll your worlds once you die right?

Don't you think there should be a limit to things? Do you think a beefalo giving you that much speed early game and tanking for you with infinite durability attacks while holding a lantern all at the cost of twigs and time should be in the game? Everyone here told me domesticating it isn't hard even.

I can't wait for Wendy's skill tree. Then we'll see hell on earth. Folks can't take a single downside.

3 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

So you like things being easier. So that means that you would love a saddle that gives 50% movespeed and 68 damage at all times. Would you? Do you also want boats to be cheaper? I bet you hate on oceans because of the sea stacks in the way, right? I guess you would love to play with too many items enable? I bet you also reroll your worlds once you die right?

Don't you think there should be a limit to things? Do you think a beefalo giving you that much speed early game and tanking for you with infinite durability attacks while holding a lantern all at the cost of twigs and time should be in the game? Everyone here told me domesticating it isn't hard even.

I can't wait for Wendy's skill tree. Then we'll see hell on earth. Folks can't take a single downside.

To be fair that's a lot of twigs to domesticate. Also beefalos aren't even op, they are only good for wendy, wes for damage and good for frail characters mostly. Also the cost isn't just that, if you wanna achieve max beef damage you need the war saddle which requires time to make. Also ornery beefalo are the hardest to make and even when you do domesticate them they still buck you off from time to time.

2 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Wait.. have you never domesticated a Beefalo before? Taming one- as in like fully taming one will take you about 20 days in game, but prior to that: A Beefalos taming process involves feeding it, and riding it, a Beefalo will throw you off it’s back when you attempt to ride it, and each time it does you can hop back on to attempt to ride for a little longer, you have no control over when it’s gonna buck you off besides counting in your head how many seconds you have left before it angrily flings you off it’s back in a field full of killer bees.

If your Beefalo is not fed or ridden often enough- it will even shake the saddle you put on its back off, each Time it does this the saddle loses 20% Durability.

Once your Beefalo is fully tamed (15-20 game days) it will no longer attempt to buck you off its back and its fur will look less rugged and more groomed and cute looking.

In addition to this- HOW You spent your time with your Beefalo during taming him determines what type of fur cow traits it will have-

Example if you want a Fur Cow that’s good at fighting stuff then you need to have fought stuff while taming him, if you want a Pudgy fat slower fur cow that gives you sanity while riding him: You had to constantly over feed it.

Its significantly more effort required than just wondering up on a Walking Cane or being Wes or Woodie who can craft them.

OH I forgot to mention! Beefalo also serve a pretty significant purpose further into the game- Such as for moving Chess Pieces, Or Celestial Tribute Parts, or even just moving marble statues around in your base.

Surely you don’t very slowly walk with these heavy objects right?? Or maybe you just switch to Wolfgang for all the Heavy Lifting?

Either Way: As someone who used to Secondary Main Wigfrid- I strongly feel like she should have some kind of Dismounted Combat Synergy with them, idk something like: After dismount she gains extra damage, protection, inspiration, motivation.. something for few moments.

This would in my opinion at least, fix everything wrong with Wigfrid having a Beefalo skill tree.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

OH I forgot to mention! Beefalo also serve a pretty significant purpose further into the game- Such as for moving Chess Pieces, Or Celestial Tribute Parts, or even just moving marble statues around in your base.

Surely you don’t very slowly walk with these heavy objects right?? Or maybe you just switch to Wolfgang for all the Heavy Lifting?

Either Way: As someone who used to Secondary Main Wigfrid- I strongly feel like she should have some kind of Dismounted Combat Synergy with them, idk something like: After dismount she gains extra damage, protection, inspiration, motivation.. something for few moments.

This would in my opinion at least, fix everything wrong with Wigfrid having a Beefalo skill tree.

I don't remember the whole tree so this might be incorrect but i think someone said riding beef gives inspiration? Thats really good because before the battle you can just use the song to oil up.

15 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

To be fair that's a lot of twigs to domesticate. Also beefalos aren't even op, they are only good for wendy, wes for damage and good for frail characters mostly. Also the cost isn't just that, if you wanna achieve max beef damage you need the war saddle which requires time to make. Also ornery beefalo are the hardest to make and even when you do domesticate them they still buck you off from time to time.

Dude that's not a lot of twigs c'mon. Are you serious? How easy it is to farm them nowadays?

6 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Dude that's not a lot of twigs c'mon. Are you serious? How easy it is to farm them nowadays?

It's a lot in the early game. Imagine feeding a beefalo 2 twigs every 2 minutes (more at the start of taming but this is close to the average) for 20 days and you have to constantly be on the beef. The reason is beefalo only tame automatically if they aren't hungry, 2 twigs is just to mount them cause when you mount them the decrease of domestication from hunger is negated. So basically you have to babysit or do tasks with the beef until it's tamed.

1 hour ago, NoodlemanNed said:

i think you overestimate how fast beefalo actually are in the earlygame. yes are a big improvement over base walking but all the characters you mentioned will be moving faster than a default beefalo with a default saddle.

beefalo only start to compete with speed characters once you get a rider beefalo and/or a glossamer saddle, both of which are way more expensive than any other combination of speed boosts in the game (except warbis).

1 hour ago, Swiyss said:

Maybe I actually do overestimate the beefalo movespeed early game; either way I think both of us could agree that it could be a little bit slower for the first 20% domestication process and only then be faster. It would make a bit more sense. 

On another note, the beefalo movespeed early game is no joke and shouldn't be underestimated also.

Here's a table comparing speeds from Beefalo, Wormwood, WX-78, and Woodie:
image.png.3400313dd20be85e4bc2d61382662706.png

9 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

Here's a table comparing speeds from Beefalo, Wormwood, WX-78, and Woodie:
image.png.3400313dd20be85e4bc2d61382662706.png

Soo... bloom 3 and 3x supper accel both take a long time to get, but a saddle and a beefalo outshines them very quickly by minimum day 2 or 3, which shouldn't be the case.

21 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

I don't remember the whole tree so this might be incorrect but i think someone said riding beef gives inspiration? Thats really good because before the battle you can just use the song to oil up.

I can’t play in Betas cause I’m on Xbox, but if there is a skill that gives Wigfrid Inspiration while riding a Beefalo then that would fix just about every single problem I’ve had with her since her Rework.

Wigfrids Song Scrolls really only see useage if she’s almost constantly in combat, and the only way to reliably do that, is in fighting bosses or spider queens, which left the downtime between finding a new mob to kill to allow her inspiration to drain, as a result: Only song scrolls that were actually useful in a Combat Scenario saw any usage..

While other Scrolls such as Fireproof Falesto as the most common example: Saw very few uses.

If Inspiration could be gained just from riding a skill tree spec’d Beefalo then the song scrolls would in turn, see more uses outside of just combat scenarios, such as cooling down in summer or whatever.

This would also make all Wigfrid mains WANT to actually tame a Beefalo instead of killing it for Meaty Stew. ;) 

1 minute ago, Swiyss said:

Soo... bloom 3 and 3x supper accel both take a long time to get, but a saddle and a beefalo outshines them very quickly by minimum day 2 or 3, which shouldn't be the case.

Super accel takes me exactly 3 days to get . Beefalo not being annoying and being a rider takes 20 days plus and maintenance.

Anyways how much time it takes depends on how you use your time and how fast you find ruins. If you rush opto electronic then go straight into the caves when you find ruins you just scan a rook and make it run over knights for the gear. 3 days is possible, if you set up base however, it takes longer. 

11 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Delusional.

If you’ve never tamed a beefalo, then I kindly ask that you please don’t speak about its taming process- it is such a significant pain in the rear end that it was literally the LAST Achievement I unlocked in the entire game-

54444C58-E439-4053-9EC7-CD860E2C2586.thumb.jpeg.4b891af9d9ab4939c8e745136cc5820b.jpeg

Now days, it’s significantly easier to tame Beefalo thanks to the introduction of the Beefalo Bell, but still the process is time consuming.

I feel like you still think the only way to get walking canes is to kill MacTusks for their teeth in Winter, but this false…

You can now reliably obtain Walking Canes as early as Sunken Treasure chests out at sea. No need to wait for Winter Day 20 anymore.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you’ve never tamed a beefalo, then I kindly ask that you please don’t speak about its taming process- it is such a significant pain in the rear end that it was literally the LAST Achievement I unlocked in the entire game-

54444C58-E439-4053-9EC7-CD860E2C2586.thumb.jpeg.4b891af9d9ab4939c8e745136cc5820b.jpeg

Now days, it’s significantly easier to tame Beefalo thanks to the introduction of the Beefalo Bell, but still the process is time consuming.

I feel like you still think the only way to get walking canes is to kill MacTusks for their teeth in Winter, but this false…

You can now reliably obtain Walking Canes as early as Sunken Treasure chests out at sea. No need to wait for Winter Day 20 anymore.

Yeah you assume I never tamed a beefalo huh. So then you got out of your way to copy and paste the wiki here, very productive. Matter fact I know exactly how taming a beefalo works and have tamed them before. They're a bad design since you can get too much movespeed too early in the game. Compared to regular methods or regular characters perk.

6 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Yeah you assume I never tamed a beefalo huh. So then you got out of your way to copy and paste the wiki here, very productive. Matter fact I know exactly how taming a beefalo works and have tamed them before. They're a bad design since you can get too much movespeed too early in the game. Compared to regular methods or regular characters perk.

I mean no offense when I say this but, what game have you been playing the past year or so?

Wormwood can now Force bloom for movement speed, which is as simple as a few spoiled fish morsels.

Wolfgang can get his movement speed buffs both while carrying heavy stuff and piggybacks, and additionally from skill tree.

WX can get movespeed buffs from scanning the first rabbit he comes in contact with.. 

Wes has funny move speed balloon.

Woodie has both Goose Form & Wooden Walking Cane.

I mean like it or not- The games changing.

and if you want a walking cane before day 20 just build a grass raft paddle out to sea, and fish one up out the ocean depths.

Archived