How can i start drawing in Don't starve style?

So i sometimes share my lazy stupid ideas for the game for fun. And i want it to be less lazy and more fun so i wanna start drawing my concepts (im not good but everybody has to start somewhere). There are some really talented people in the forums so i figured i should ask here. What tools should i use and what program should i start on? Im just trying to make rookie sketches if anyone can help it would be highly appreciated.

• Health 1

If you want to do digital art, you should get some kind of digital art tablet. The screenless ones work fine, but they're a bit counter-intuitive since it's so different from drawing on paper (since you have to look at the screen while drawing on the tablet you're not looking at), and the ones with screens are good, but they're much more expensive. Huion and Wacom are a couple companies I know of that make entry-level ones.

Krita's a free program that works with drawing tablets and supports pen pressure sensitivity (you want a pressure-sensitive tablet). In any digital art program, you're probably gonna have some issues with controlling the pen at first, but using a stabilizer (Krita has that feature built in) or a weighted pen setting can help you get more used to it without having to worry as much about your lines being wobbly because of your hand not being steady enough.

Edited by DegenerateFurry
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DegenerateFurry said:

If you want to do digital art, you should get some kind of digital art tablet. The screenless ones work fine, but they're a bit counter-intuitive since it's so different from drawing on paper (since you have to look at the screen while drawing on the tablet you're not looking at), and the ones with screens are good, but they're much more expensive. Huion and Wacom are a couple companies I know of that make entry-level ones.

Krita's a free program that works with drawing tablets and supports pen pressure sensitivity (you want a pressure-sensitive tablet). In any digital art program, you're probably gonna have some issues with controlling the pen at first, but using a stabilizer (Krita has that feature built in) or a weighted pen setting can help you get more used to it without having to worry as much about your lines being wobbly because of your hand not being steady enough.

I tested Fire alpaca and i like the program. I'll have to get the pen but can't i just use my touch screen laptop to draw?

I don't think it matters that much what program/tools you use as long as they work well, especially if you're new to art in general. If you use the same program as an artist you like you might be able to find out what brushes or brush settings they use and copy that, but you should also think about and try to replicate broader elements of the DS art style, like line weight and body proportions.

• Thanks 1