Random little mod idea

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who might wanna do it :)

If a dupe has a low Cuisine skill, they have a chance to burn the food, creating (char)coal instead, so there's more of a point to levelling.

Alternatively the cooking station could drop a lesser amount of the intended food plus burned charcoal.

If something gets burned the dupe plays an angry emote and has to then scrape the burned parts off (extending the cook time and restarting the cooking animation before any food/coal is dispensed)

As compensation for potentially wasting precious foods, a higher the Cuisine skill could create slightly more calories per meal cooked like +% per level up to like 200% max perhaps.

That way when you are considering a dupe, one who can cook is actually quite beneficial :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, outseeker said:

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who might wanna do it :)

If a dupe has a low Cuisine skill, they have a chance to burn the food, creating (char)coal instead, so there's more of a point to levelling.

Alternatively the cooking station could drop a lesser amount of the intended food plus burned charcoal.

If something gets burned the dupe plays an angry emote and has to then scrape the burned parts off (extending the cook time and restarting the cooking animation before any food/coal is dispensed)

As compensation for potentially wasting precious foods, a higher the Cuisine skill could create slightly more calories per meal cooked like +% per level up to like 200% max perhaps.

That way when you are considering a dupe, one who can cook is actually quite beneficial :)

I'd bump the burnt food concept. Even if it only dropped the food quality or risked wasting it. Should make a suggestion thread.

That would be a reason to use the micro musher till your dupe has a few levels or risk the biscuit. 

Edited by cyberwarlord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Primalflower said:

I think this introduces a random element that doesn't really fit how ONI is built. but i think the idea is fun. it kind of makes me think about the surfing station and how the animation changes based on athletic of duplicants.

Similar randomness already exist when a duplicant harvests plants - it has random chance to spawn a seed based on dupe's agriculture

5 minutes ago, pether said:

Similar randomness already exist when a duplicant harvests plants - it has random chance to spawn a seed based on dupe's agriculture

i'm not immediately sure what to say, how to articulate how i feel about this point. I never feed my pacu seeds for a meaningful amount of time for this exact reason, i don't like the significant built-in chance of failure, and i think it would feel bad if a similar mechanic applied to something as integral as cooking, much of how the game is designed feels like it is meant to go without player input after some time, and I think cooking having a chance of failure is weird about that.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:07 AM, Primalflower said:

i'm not immediately sure what to say, how to articulate how i feel about this point. I never feed my pacu seeds for a meaningful amount of time for this exact reason, i don't like the significant built-in chance of failure, and i think it would feel bad if a similar mechanic applied to something as integral as cooking, much of how the game is designed feels like it is meant to go without player input after some time, and I think cooking having a chance of failure is weird about that.

I think I understand what u mean, you don't want a dead loss for the time taken to craft something. Really I still like the idea that if something gets burned they have to spend longer to clean it up, and in exchange you get a lil free charcoal plus your foods, and there's a reason to have Cuisine skill aside from being a tiny bit quicker :)

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:00 AM, cyberwarlord said:

Make it part of the negative traits that can spawn. 

Instead of no cooking. Make them a risky cook.

lol u could have the negative trait burn almost everything- they just produce coal for generators if u force them to cook XD

On 11/20/2023 at 3:04 AM, outseeker said:

I think I understand what u mean, you don't want a dead loss for the time taken to craft something. Really I still like the idea that if something gets burned they have to spend longer to clean it up, and in exchange you get a lil free charcoal plus your foods, and there's a reason to have Cuisine skill aside from being a tiny bit quicker :)

In Rimworld you don't burn the food, but make people get diarrhea... getting explosive, uncontrollable diarrhea from a bad cook in the game would be funnier, but it doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SGT_Imalas said:

food poisoning 2

Botulism.

I'm still pushing the idea of disease and sickness progression tiers. Some guaranteed to get worse while others are random chance. And some based on temp/damage. No more walk it off every time atleast. Something where a weak immunity may make them more susceptible to disease and higher chances of progression. Also generic poison, acid, parasites, rabies, frostbite, burns, shock, concussion(falling blocks). maybe toggle fall damage(broken bone).

Low oxygen:Hypoxia-Find a use for bottled O2.

1 disease for plants and critters. Wild ones are more susceptible to diseases. 

Side note: more medical items to boosted stats. This gives a reason to have a full time pharmacy. 

+2 for -3 skills.

Edited by cyberwarlord
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 5:19 PM, SGT_Imalas said:

idk if fall damage would be that fun to play

but: good thing we can test it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1880389930

That mod is pretty nice, and as far as i remember, you can set it to outright killing dupes from high enough fall damage or just severely cripple them. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated and last time i used it, it crashed my game.

You have to be careful when deconstructing stuff while using that mod.

lol I subscribed to this but didn't notice these replies somehow

I love seeing the other stuff that comes up :D fall damage though uh idk I don't hate my dupes XD

Still I'm picturing someone hitting terminal velocity and the animation changing to the classic face flapping in the wind, accompanied by the lil dupe "reeeee!" lol I don't wanna imagine the landing.

*edit: ahh u made me do it. Puddle of genetic ooze >.<

Edited by outseeker
finished a thought I didn't wanna XD
  • Haha 1