DST Optimisation.

Will it ever have a dedicated update? I know there was some back-end changes a few months back but that is really not enough for a game with this many optimisation problems. At the very least I'd want to see me not lagging on my own world, that shouldn't be happening in my opinion and it should be a pretty high priority, given how DST shouldn't be this much of a demanding game, like, it just shouldn't, looking at the modern market of course.

I really hope we can get some improvements in the not-distant future, have a good one.

From what I have heard so far, the main cause of lagging is because the hardware(And maybe the online server too) have to run multiple "Shards" simultaneously, that being the surface world and the caves.

This may be necessary for multiplayer game modes, where some people are up and some are below, but I don't see the reason not to make single player worlds to run on only one shard at a time. This should theoretically solve the lagging problem, at least for some people. 

I don't know why this has not been implemented though. Is it because everybody is playing with friends?

58 minutes ago, Pomato said:

I don't know why this has not been implemented though. Is it because everybody is playing with friends?

pausing the other shard when in solo play would be more of a bandaid fix, I think the fundamental problem is that the shards are poorly implemented, there is no reason why each map should run on a different server

22 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

pausing the other shard when in solo play would be more of a bandaid fix, I think the fundamental problem is that the shards are poorly implemented, there is no reason why each map should run on a different server

Is there precedent for what you say, perhaps in a mod? Something we can work with.

1 minute ago, Guille6785 said:

no need to, hamlet exists

I'll have to see it to believe it. In concept anyway. I have optimization issues at times, but I've found that dst runs better than hamlet in the late game for me than it does hamlet. I am on board with somehow making this game run smoother, but it needs to be a tangible thing. 

Archived