CSV tamer with drip pump and teleport

I built this CSV tamer based around some of Fradow's saltuner designs and some other things I've seen around.  I used the drip pumps for a clean infectious polluted oxygen tamer before (I had a wheezewort next to the vent, no slimelung) and reused those here along with the upward teleport storage Fradow uses in his saltuner.

image.png

image.png

I have the liquid valves set at 30g/s.  Water pools at the bottom and crude spills off the airflow tile if you leave the vents open; closing them along with the liquid shutoff valve solves both these problems.  That worked with the coolant loop at 35° and the incoming water at about 60°, just barely; perhaps keep the coolant loop at 85° and treat it like a water geyser's 90° output.

Those two drip pumps keep up with the CSV's full output.  If you need more, you can build horizontally to the same pattern with the airflow tiles.  There's water at the top for reasons…mostly involving me building without the airflow tile and having water condense between the two vents and somehow teleport up.

The coolant loop is just an AT/ST, you can use any cooling source you want.  It may be useful to run the return loop through the steam turbine to cool it and use a temperature sensor to run at high temperature, turning the turbine on only at 200°.  A double liquid lock with vacuum between will allow heavywatt to come out onto the power grid.  I've used this setup with a power control station to run the turbine at 1.28kW; not sure how much power you can reclaim, can't imagine it being power-positive without super coolant.

Notably, since this can't overpressure, you can use any cooling solution that won't boil in the pipes.  Infinite steam pressure at 110° on the left won't boil polluted water, and if you can catch up while the CSV is dormant and condense all the steam then you're good.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:29 PM, johninbaltimore said:

Notably, since this can't overpressure

Are you sure this can't overpressurize?  I've tried mechanisms like this before to get the steam out and have never gotten the full mass the vent emits (EDIT with approaches like this).  Cool steam vents emit a ton of gas and the vent doesn't say when it's overpressurized.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:29 PM, johninbaltimore said:

There's water at the top for reasons…mostly involving me building without the airflow tile and having water condense between the two vents and somehow teleport up.

That's a nice way to get the water in to the infinite storage.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Indeed. It sort of reminds me of a build I made on Discord a while ago

So this is a teleporting condenser build. What's really special is that it uses the condensed output to buffer the ST during eruptions via the temp shift plate in the top left corner grapping into the airlock foundation tile. That's because a 3 open port ST would not be self-cooled if it wasn't assisted by the output condensed water as well during eruption. The only thing that need to be primed is the AT loop. The water in the vent room settles itself. (edited)

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

On 9/18/2023 at 2:44 PM, Zarquan said:

Are you sure this can't overpressurize?  I've tried mechanisms like this before to get the steam out and have never gotten the full mass the vent emits (EDIT with approaches like this).  Cool steam vents emit a ton of gas and the vent doesn't say when it's overpressurized.

I managed to get no overpressurization with two drip vents on an unreasonable CSV that seems to never shut off (more than a full cycle on and like half a cycle off or something stupid).  I got overpressurization when using just one drip.  You can increase the number of drip pumps further if desired, doesn't seem necessary for me.  I was surprised it worked too, thought I'd need 4.  It could stand to be smaller.

The instant teleport mechanism is what I'm using, I just accidentally teleported some water where I didn't want it while I was messing with the build.

I have one of these running on a bunch of wheezeworts (not enough to cool it, but enough to keep the pipes from bursting until it goes dormant, and then get the cooling loop down to 18C before it becomes active again).

19 minutes ago, johninbaltimore said:

I managed to get no overpressurization with two drip vents on an unreasonable CSV that seems to never shut off (more than a full cycle on and like half a cycle off or something stupid).  I got overpressurization when using just one drip.  You can increase the number of drip pumps further if desired, doesn't seem necessary for me.  I was surprised it worked too, thought I'd need 4.  It could stand to be smaller.

I would measure the water you get out of it in debug from a full single eruption just to be sure you are getting the full amount just to be sure.  I thought I had a design that looked like it wasn't overpressurizing, but it was and I was only getting about 2/3rds (maybe even less) of the ticks out of it, only discovered after I realized my steam turbine wasn't active as mush as it should.

19 minutes ago, johninbaltimore said:

The instant teleport mechanism is what I'm using, I just accidentally teleported some water where I didn't want it while I was messing with the build.

Independent discovery of new-to-you game mechanics is itself an accomplishment, even if other people know about it.  Well done!

8 hours ago, johninbaltimore said:

If you'd experimented and tested it a a little more you'd find that the swap pump is entire unnecessarry. The build I posted above can handle CSVs with outputs up to 23kg/s if you set the temp of the vent buffer lower than the 80c illustrated. 80c buffer handles 11.5kg/s eruptios just fine without a single drop missing on the output.

How does this instant teleport mechanic function? I'd have expected condensed steam to drip down to the bottom not to blink through a corner. Seams similar to hydra spom designs... Does the game check for nearby water tiles to spawn condensed steam into before having it drip?

Archived