Only one type negative trait base

So a friend of mine started a base in witch he wants flatulence to be the only negative trait. After generating the first 3 dupes with flatulence, he not even once got flatulence as a choice in printig pod, and he is already at 48 cycle in that base. Is there a limit on how many dupes can have the same trait?

I've done the flatuence only challenge. But it is annoying. The DGSM or Duplicant Stat Selector mod can be used to selectively replace traits. Note that if surgically modifying duplicants, to be completely fair the "attribute bonus" of the replaced trait should be taken into account because not all negative traits are equal, like Anemic awards +5 attribute points, while Pacifist awards nothing.

This discussion reminds me of a post I opened back in April.

You may read it again here:

Hello everyone, 

I think the current skills, traits, and attribute system for the dupes is too simplistic and even boring.

One problem are the randomized skills and traits. If you don't like a certain combination of skills and traits, you simply reroll again and again until you find a combination that somehow suits your needs. This is rather annoying and boring. There are certain negative traits that no advanced player would accept, such as anemic, mouth breather, bottomless stomach, traits that prevent a dupe from exerting certain tasks, etc. The list is long. 

It would be better if the player could choose the needed skills and traits instead of just rerolling endlessly again. Also, the negative traits that no reasonable player would choose should be removed from the game since they are not accepted anyway. If you want to keep some negative traits, it would be better if a player is forced to choose certain negative traits. But for each chosen negative trait the dupe should also have a specific bonus in other areas to offset or counterbalance the negative effects. 

However, I would suggest a completely different approach, similar to character developments in RPGs. 

First, each dupe should have certain points to spend at the start and each time at level up. Those points can be spent on innate capacities that affect all other actions to a certain extent, like intelligence, dexterity, etc. Those capacities could affect how quickly and efficiently the dupe can perform certain activities and with what effects. The capacities cannot be increased by simply being active with the dupe (like letting the dupe do certain things). Instead, the capacities can strictly be increased only at level up, so the player must choose wisely where to spend the limited points. So, some features/capacities should be increasable only with limited points at level up, and other features/skills should increase by letting dupes do tasks.

Second, the face type and gender should be determinable. It looks like as if Klei is about to implement such a feature. This seems to be related to the developing blueprint system. Regardless, this should be expanded and include hair color and style and other details. This would make the game more customizable and refreshing. 

Third, the value of each individual dupe should be much more significant, so a death hurts and frustrates more. Currently, if a dupe dies, it is of course unfortunate, but the dupe can be replaced soon again and will level up quickly enough. If a player puts much effort into developing one single dupe by determining capacities, skills, traits, etc., then a possible death is particularly harsh. 

Fourth, the leveling should include many levels and the high levels (maybe up to 100) should take a significant amount of time, so the value of each dupe increases further and the player will get a sense and feeling of true accomplishment. 

These are only some of the ideas I had. I hope Klei will look into this. I would hope for a deep and sophisticated character development system. 

I think we could use a way to improve the printing pod later in the game. Similar to how we upgrade the portal in DST. Just a structure that lets you have more control over what you get. Lets say you can build 4 strucutres around the pod connecting to it (maybe make it look like an old computer with magnetic tape rolling around). Each one would affect one of the options you get. You could set all 4 to "care package" and you will get no dupes next selection. You could select to "hold a trait" on one of the dupes and you will roll a different dupe with that trait next time. You could also disallow a trait. Finally you would be able to select one of the dupe`s interests similarly to how you can select a type of dupe when rerolling at the start of the game.

The structures would use a lot of power and maybe require data banks to give those a use after research is done.

17 hours ago, blakemw said:

the "attribute bonus" of the replaced trait should be taken into account because not all negative traits are equal, like Anemic awards +5 attribute points, while Pacifist awards nothing.

Duplicant Stat Selector adjusts the attribute bonus according to this dynamically

you can also configure the mod to disable the trait changing for the printing pod and wheter to allow rerolling of the printing pod

23 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I think we could use a way to improve the printing pod later in the game. Similar to how we upgrade the portal in DST. Just a structure that lets you have more control over what you get. Lets say you can build 4 strucutres around the pod connecting to it (maybe make it look like an old computer with magnetic tape rolling around). Each one would affect one of the options you get. You could set all 4 to "care package" and you will get no dupes next selection. You could select to "hold a trait" on one of the dupes and you will roll a different dupe with that trait next time. You could also disallow a trait. Finally you would be able to select one of the dupe`s interests similarly to how you can select a type of dupe when rerolling at the start of the game.

The structures would use a lot of power and maybe require data banks to give those a use after research is done.

This is actually a really solid idea right here. Best one ive read that could include all the new features as well. Ads alot of new "science stations" that could handle data banks. Rad bolts. fossils. Genetic mutated seeds. Critter eggs. Vicilitator recharges. Dream journals. A new machine for completing each story trait. Even add the neural brain scanner so you could scan traits.

Each machine has a small cost or requirements for setting the printers. Gives you alot of control end game and reason to progress through each story. 

And gives you a great reason to keep a research rocket around.

The machines could give "science" experience as well for improving all dupes. 

Edit: Ribbon cables connections for the printing pod and new science machines. 

Mad science update?

Archived