In spaced out there aren`t that many uses for radbolts. Some of us also struggle with providing food for space missions. So here is a suggestion to fix both.

A new cooking station - the Radiation Cooker.
It looks like a microwave machine with a radbolt port on top and uses a lot of power (960-1200W).

It produces food that`s pretty trash but doesn`t spoil so can be used in space missions. It`s cheap to make but has downsides. Examples:

Gamma mush - created from a fried mushbar. Never spoils and glows in the dark. The quality is just one above terrible and eating it gives the dupe +20 rads so get some radpills if you plan to eat those in the rocket.

Bog bucket bombs - made out of a bog bucket and some sucrose these treats are beloved by dupes. While it has a high food quality it causes the dupe to get a debuff making the next meal give less morale than usual.

Salty meal lice chips - a bit of meal lice and salt and we got a crunchy snack. It doesn`t spoil and has good quality but makes the dupe dehydrated what causes him to get more hungry (basically a bottomless stomach trait for a cycle). This can be mitigated via a watercooler though.

You get the idea. A few powerful (maybe overpowered) recipies to use in space or in base but with downsides could make stuff more interesting.

Thanks for reading.

Spoilage is such a big game challenge factor though. That said, a radbolt cookstation/ microwave sounds interesting. Maybe food that needs cooking after preparation?

Packaged or canned food gives salt another use as well. 

You can always print alot of food that never spoils.

I would rather just give the player a few more options for salt. the spice grinder already solves the food-spoilage-in-rockets issue, it's just a matter of getting there

I would be happy to see the radbolt microwave concept in the game though. make the stuff it makes take a really long time to spoil and i would already use it purely on that principal

Archived