The Goose Skill tree Problem

2 out of 4 of the Goose perks realistically are pretty useless, being the dodge skill, and waterproof skill. For the were mastery to be worth considering on the skill tree, the goose needs more useful skills.

Dodge Skill

You are not going to be running into mobs as the goose for a gamble of not being hit which makes this realistically useless, you normally use the goose for exploration and not to escape or run through mobs, which can already easily be done without the goose.

Waterproof Skill

Were forms already give alot of wetness protection, this just is not useful and only applies specifically during Spring, or ocasional random Aurumn rain, and even during those scenarios it is still not that helpful for the goose form specifically.

Ideas for Improvments:

Dodge Skill: Now in addition, it makes you jump and hover over structures and mobs automatically, essentially giving you zero collision. This can be useful in bases or setups with alot of walls, or being able to jump over hordes of mobs to escape being body blocked, which combos with the already existing dodging part, or hover over the shadow pillars of the atrium.

Waterproof Skill: This needs to be a different skill since it doesn't really work well. It could make you go faster on water, but at the same time i am not sure about that even though it would be useful. I would rather direct speed buffs.

Unrelated to the skills mentioned, but the flying skill can use 2x less were meter, and the speed buff could be larger. Thank you

I’ve found the dodge skill to work for bold exploration like running through the clockworks of the ruins and dodging a bishop snipe, or inadvertently running through a hound fortress and escaping unharmed. It’s niche but if you don’t get attacked a lot it works, it seems almost like a free FW bone suit perk of avoiding one damage every X time but I’m not sure of that’s how it works.

The waterproofing makes sense lore wise and it’s probably meant to allow you to run for longer in spring or winter in caves

That said it’s true that they are somewhat underwhelming. I’d change them but not in an overpowered way:

- The waterproofing added to the goose should also affect the other 2 forms, and add a bit more thermal insulation to all 3 forms as well. This would give a bit more uncompromise to the choices made.

- The dodge skill should also add a bit more speed to the goose so it goes from current speed (10) to 11, making it an above average transport for the late game.

- The goose ultimate could also give you one free transformation into the goose with no idol used, once a day. This could work to use the goose as a free long range transport even in the late game, although whatever we add it always will be hard to compete with T4 moose.

10 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The waterproofing makes sense lore wise and it’s probably meant to allow you to run for longer in spring or winter in caves

I have an assumption that it also saves from acid rain. But I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to use a goose by this point.

14 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I’ve found the dodge skill to work for bold exploration like running through the clockworks of the ruins and dodging a bishop snipe, or inadvertently running through a hound fortress and escaping unharmed. It’s niche but if you don’t get attacked a lot it works, it seems almost like a free FW bone suit perk of avoiding one damage every X time but I’m not sure of that’s how it works.

That said it’s true that they are somewhat underwhelming. I’d change them but not in an overpowered way:

- The waterproofing added to the goose should also affect the other 2 forms, and add a bit more thermal insulation to all 3 forms as well. This would give a bit more uncompromise to the choices made.

- The dodge skill should also add a bit more speed to the goose so it goes from current speed (10) to 11, making it an above average transport for the late game.

- The goose ultimate could also give you one free transformation into the goose with no idol used, once a day. This could work to use the goose as a free long range transport even in the late game, although whatever we add it always will be hard to compete with T4 moose.

Making it make all forms water proof turns away the focus of the goose, and being able to transform into the goose once a day is ocerpowered.

30 minutes ago, Waitdire said:

I have an assumption that it also saves from acid rain. But I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to use a goose by this point.

Sadly it doesn’t.

27 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

being able to transform into the goose once a day is ocerpowered.

In what way? The goose can only run. Once you’ve explored all the land what else is there to use the goose for more than going from A to B.

51 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Sadly it doesn’t.

Wait it doesn't? That means food rots, you take damage, etc.? That seems like a bug!

EDIT: It seems to be working in my testing, taking no damage from acid rain in goose form so I assume the other effects follow suit.

I don't think anyone will use goose mastery. To be honest though, as much as I disagree with skill trees being tuned the way it is tuned for early game, I'll actually be quite glad to delegate skills into max goose. I'm wearing in the moose so much in my personal world, I would much enjoy revealing as much map as possible on a pub. Looking forward to it.

For personal use, nothing beats moose. But I still do believe with an open mind and as a part of the team, there is certainly place for the other 2 masteries. 

I forget sometimes that this is a team game. The problem with the beta is it's challenging to test certain aspects of play in a team setting, as a lot fewer people play beta. 
Especially when it's a player base that is a bit shallow in population.

Woodie, Wormwood and Wolfgang are all pretty obscure when it comes to co-current players. 

Unrelated to wereforms, I think the beta might be HYPER populated if Wigfrid and Wendy are in the same skill tree beta lol. I think they should have those 2 in the same beta just for fun haha

13 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I don't think anyone will use goose mastery

Goose mastery is really only for the first year. No sailing discovering the two islands that are FULL of crazy useful loot. The moon island alone guarantees glass cutters (tied for best weapon, while being cheap) the moon quay meanwhile has monkeytails and the banana bushes which are amazing for sanity management.

its arguably better than dealing 30-40% more damage as the moose, because most things you’d use the moose for in the first year can still be beaten with the lowered dps.

15 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

No sailing discovering the two islands that are FULL of crazy useful loot.

I'm skeptical the random teleportation is any good for overworld exploration. The Goose is already the best ocean exploration option with the speed boost, and it's way more likely you get something on the main continent.

The mastery seems to have infinitely more use in the caves since the number of useful biomes there is larger and exploration there is made more difficult because of the impassable void. It has some cool ruins rushing implications but otherwise i'd rather use the faster Goose speed to find it rather than waste a fifth of my Weremeter for a slim chance at finding something useful.

55 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I don't think anyone will use goose mastery. To be honest though, as much as I disagree with skill trees being tuned the way it is tuned for early game, I'll actually be quite glad to delegate skills into max goose. I'm wearing in the moose so much in my personal world, I would much enjoy revealing as much map as possible on a pub. Looking forward to it.

For personal use, nothing beats moose. But I still do believe with an open mind and as a part of the team, there is certainly place for the other 2 masteries. 

I forget sometimes that this is a team game. The problem with the beta is it's challenging to test certain aspects of play in a team setting, as a lot fewer people play beta. 
Especially when it's a player base that is a bit shallow in population.

Woodie, Wormwood and Wolfgang are all pretty obscure when it comes to co-current players. 

Unrelated to wereforms, I think the beta might be HYPER populated if Wigfrid and Wendy are in the same skill tree beta lol. I think they should have those 2 in the same beta just for fun haha

The moose skills don't help you explore besides speed boost and mastery.

21 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

I'm skeptical the random teleportation is any good for overworld exploration. The Goose is already the best ocean exploration option with the speed boost, and it's way more likely you get something on the main continent.

The mastery seems to have infinitely more use in the caves since the number of useful biomes there is larger and exploration there is made more difficult because of the impassable void. It has some cool ruins rushing implications but otherwise i'd rather use the faster Goose speed to find it rather than waste a fifth of my Weremeter for a slim chance at finding something useful.

I mean, it took me three idols to find both, and very little actual time spent, i just saved my seeds and crafted them with the monster meat i got from slapping around spiders and hounds from the mounds.

it’s really up to preference, yeah he explores faster than a boat, but flying is even faster than that because it eventually will just tp you there without having to guess at the location.

40 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

I mean, it took me three idols to find both

Tested if there's some sort of preference for special regions and I went through 10 without getting Moon Quay. It seems decent for Lunar Island since it has a larger land mass, but seems a really needlessly monster meat heavy option for Moon Quay considering you could just explore the edge for a near-guaranteed chance to find it which would take at max 2 days.

And it being decent for Lunar isn't much since Lunar is really easy to find when you are exploring the mainland naturally. It saves minutes but most likely not considering the high likelihood of it eating into monster meat you still need to gather and could use on more useful crockpot dishes.

Archived