Replace flytrap with Petal production

Flytrap:

• I can't think of a single reason to keep flytrap.

Now let's go over some uses for petals, a perk that seemed somewhat useless on the surface:

Petals:

• Will transform to rot for 8hp each.
  • Rot can be used for compost wrap.
  • Rot can be used for ipecaca
  • Can be fed to beefalos to raise obedience.
  • Can fill sisturn
  • Could feed the shield of terror 1% durability per petal or 32% a day 
  • Could feed the mask of terror 1% durability per petal or 32% a day

I could be missing more interactions but I don't think it was fair trade for photosynthesis. But rather than remove that, please remove fly trap.

If 32 was too much I'd consider lowering the amount to 20.

A toned down version of petal production should just be added on top of photo synthesis or flower power.

Its not gonna break the game. 

1 hour ago, Golden Daemon said:

Photo synthesis perk could heal wormwood during the day and the flowers wilt and drop during the night (with reduced numbers obviously since they dont drop during the day).

I love this idea. 

——

id rather fly trap get replaced by a bramble husk skill.

we went from no ww craft skills to two skills that still ignore his arguably most signature craft, the husk. 

6 minutes ago, Ohan said:

A toned down version of petal production should just be added on top of photo synthesis or flower power.

Its not gonna break the game. 

I love this idea. 

——

id rather fly trap get replaced by a bramble husk skill.

we went from no ww craft skills to two skills that still ignore his arguably most signature craft, the husk. 

I was semi-hoping photosynthesis would get a buff and work with the star caller staff...

I could see photosynthesis becoming a two tier skill and allow both. First tier is as you described, second tier allows for more petals and work alongside star caller staff (a dwarf star mid battle sounds fun).

It's not like wormwood doesn't have plenty of useless perks that could still be replaced by a husk skill. Merge the two berry skills, remove one mushroom skill, etc lol.

I think photosynth can be made to work with starcaller (and Lux Aeterna) baseline and also produce petals, none of this is gamebreaking. 

Woodie can summon treeguard armies to flatten bosses lol. 

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

It's not like wormwood doesn't have plenty of useless perks that could still be replaced by a husk skill. Merge the two berry skills, remove one mushroom skill, etc lol.

True. I hope someone down the line will make a mod that lets u get more skill points. I refuse to be held back by the two points im forced to waste on the seed and butterfly skills lol

5 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

If you let the flower petals turn to rot, then the rot will feed them much more. Rot does -10 hunger and -1 health which leads to it repairing around 7% of the masks and shields durability. 32x7= 224% durability a day.

Bruh you seriously want petal production back? It occupied 1 slot, was slow as hell, and we are talking of rot production which is the easiest **** to get in the game. Like, im sorry, but if by day 200 you dont have chests or fridges full of rot , then you are either the most rot-hungry person in the entire game or you dont even step outside farm for a sec, because even in singleplayer its even annoying how easy that **** stacks lol

I play wormwood and I always have a personal chest just for rot.

also Other uses for petals are

• Use your petals to decorate end tables for sanity 5 each.
  • Burn them for ashes to craft healing salves or growth formula.
  • Use a ghost player to turn them into dark petals for nigthmare fuel.
  • Use pretty skins for garlands( very important)/ give garlands to everyone.
  • Craft the clean sweeper.
  • Use 20 to fuel a campfire to it's maximum.
  • Craft whirly fans or tillweed-salve (these are a sin never craft them).
  • Make a 20 minute beard video on petals and it's uses.

Why not just put petal production into photo synthesis or one of the blooming bottom path perks? Give us more bramble stuff for the husk in place of fruit fly, it'd make sense after a trap skill.

I'd do it where if you're full hp you get petals if you have the Photosynthesis skill in-use.

7 hours ago, kroban said:

Bruh you seriously want petal production back? It occupied 1 slot, was slow as hell, and we are talking of rot production which is the easiest **** to get in the game. Like, im sorry, but if by day 200 you dont have chests or fridges full of rot , then you are either the most rot-hungry person in the entire game or you dont even step outside farm for a sec, because even in singleplayer its even annoying how easy that **** stacks lol

Rot is so easy I'd rather have easier to get nitre perk than rot perk so we can heal with compost wraps rather than rot.  This is something wormwood can make use from and we kinda need a bit more nitre on pubs since hosility flares came.   

Maybe nitre made from guano? Making such acid stuff from bat poop makes sense irl, it's rich in nitrogen. Ability to feed ipecac to battilisks and tada, bunch of guano.   
Iirc you could get potassium nitrate if you leached it with water, filtered and then let it dry to expose the needed nitrate crystals

6 minutes ago, Wonz said:

Maybe nitre made from guano? Making such acid stuff from bat poop makes sense irl, it's rich in nitrogen. Ability to feed ipecac to battilisks and tada, bunch of guano.   

Caged birds also make guano

10 hours ago, kroban said:

Like, im sorry, but if by day 200 you dont have

Okay. What about day 20? What if you want to have early game rot? In the first season you won’t have rot from old frog rains that happened to fall in the beefalo savannah.

If you’re rushing a beefalo then having to gather less twigs/lightbulbs saves you time and allows you to do other things.

14 hours ago, kroban said:

By day 200 i could have 50 thulucite crowns, that does make crowns less valuable. I think you're not thinking of the early game advantages it provides.

Here are some different ways I approach early game as wormwood and how it can boost me:

Full ruins clear:

I try to enter the ruins around 5~ days because that's when fish is spoiled if I got it by day 2 and I can start blooming underground to get to the ruins faster. During that time I need to accumulate 7 living logs for a shadow manipulator, darksword, bat bat and a star caller. Before I would need to build a tent so that I could heal underground and collect more living logs if the spider drops were not great. I can't wait too much time or I will waste blooming, with some extra rot in hand I don't need a tent anymore. Furthermore, the glands I do get I can transform into ash for salves for more healing. 

While you can collect lichen and lightbulbs this will take up two slots when I drop petals constantly as I get them. Tents also provided more HP + sanity per second than rot. Also with petals, there is no picking time that will cut into my 3 day blooming. Making it more passive than tens or other sources of rot. 

Beefalo/ semi ruin clear:

Not having to pick grass/twigs to feed a beefalo to maintain obedience shouldn't be overlooked. All the extra seconds you don't spend picking it amounts to a lot. Wormwood now has a great synergy not unlike Wendy, where as before it was just wormwood benefiting from the relationship. 

I still like to clear the ruins even if just for a star caller staff. In which case I have less time to collect a tent. Making the most of my glands and the ash that the petals would provide would still go a long way.

Conclusion:

What's nice about early vs late game perks is that it makes the skill tree dynamic. Everything has it's time to shine and you can fluctuate between what you need now vs later. If only one half of the tree was useful that would be boring.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:00 PM, HowlVoid said:

Flytrap:

• I can't think of a single reason to keep flytrap.

Now let's go over some uses for petals, a perk that seemed somewhat useless on the surface:

Petals:

• Will transform to rot for 8hp each.
  • Rot can be used for compost wrap.
  • Rot can be used for ipecaca
  • Can be fed to beefalos to raise obedience.
  • Can fill sisturn

I could be missing more interactions but I don't think it was fair trade for photosynthesis. But rather than remove that, please remove fly trap.

If 32 was too much I'd consider lowering the amount to 20.

Instead combine photosynthesis with shade plant which makes sense, and then add flower back. Flytrap can be reworked.

Archived