Early volcano taming help?

I am playing the frozen forest start as I never really mastered it. I intend to use the map resources to plant arbor trees, and distil ethanol for nosh sprouts. Obviously the big challenge is the frozen areas. Alas, my base spawned right next to a minor volcano. Is there a way to semi-tame the volcano with early local materials and warm the base? Dreckos and oil are on the far side of the teleporter and not an early option.

Build an insulator box made of obsidian dump tons of water/ice in there, build radiant pipe loop connected to liquid tank and control output temp from there.

Also build the liquid vent too for turbine in the future. The system will last depending on how much liquid you put in the first place and by the time things go out of control you should have enough heat/turbine.

You don't need to uncork the volcano to warm the base. It should be surrounded by a lot of -very- hot rock. Crack the abyssalite, run a loop of piping near it, seal it up, and use it to warm your base. Maybe add a reservoir and a little automation to clear the pipes if it starts getting too warm.

Then you can save the taming for after you research the AT/ST.

My current run is on a frozen forest. A simple way is warm up the base is insulate an area first and then start the warming process.

I use space heater first to plant some foods for living. Later I use cool slush geyser and metal refinery with a loop of piping around the base. Now it's too warm for mealwoods. But I believe by that time you should be able to find other replacement foods.

Warming process may be long and you can move some dupes to teleported asteroid for another shelter before frozen forest global warming.

8 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

Build an insulator box made of obsidian dump tons of water/ice in there, build radiant pipe loop connected to liquid tank and control output temp from there.

Also build the liquid vent too for turbine in the future. The system will last depending on how much liquid you put in the first place and by the time things go out of control you should have enough heat/turbine.

Perfect, thanks!

On Frozen Forest, unless it has Frozen Core, I would normally tap the magma sea for heat.

One way to do this is to make some constructed obsidian tiles contacting the magma, and run obsidian gas pipes through (if you really want you can use steel, but obsidian works pretty well tbh), and seal it off with insulated tiles. Then circulate a loop of gas (oxygen is fine) to transport heat. An oxygen gas loop should be good for about 1000 kDTU/s of heat transport, which is more than enough for heating a base and with a gas shutoff or gas valve you have extreme control over the heat transport. You can also transport the heat any distance you like with very little falloff.

Some good tips above, but what I've found is the easiest way to warm up a base on a cold map is to create a plain water tank and stick a liquid tepidizer at the bottom of it. It consumes 960W while it's running but you can use automation to only turn it on when you need it. If it's too cold for liquid water you can use a timer to pulse it on for a second and then off for 3-4 and it will heat the air enough to slowly melt ice tempshift plates. (Some people consider that exploity but it's not a bug so I consider it fair game.) Then you insulate your water processing room and the perimeter of your base, and run a line of coolant throughout to spread out the heat.

Archived