I hate this Cave Beta

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I feel like your massively missing my point, and I could use the “bubble shield” from popular shooters like Apex Legends & Fortnite to convey my message across more clearly.. but a lot of people for some reason or another get very upset when you try to use “Gamer Talk” to express something about a Video game, on the forums of a Video Game. *shrugs*

SO instead: I’ll use IN-GAME examples.

Klei Adds Pirate Raids, They happen anywhere at Sea, Fanbase whines and complains that they ruin their fun of peaceful boat fishing or making funny boat bases- Klei Nerfs the hell out of pirate raids so that they now only spawn when your very close to their island actively searching for them OR Use a Flare that Summons them to your location when your ready to fight them.

Now I’m not the smartest person in the world… but how does any of that make for a good “Survival Game?”

I am losing a LOT of fate in Klei to deliver the kind of experiences I expect out of their games anymore- which is more or less more of what made DS & its DLC’s DS…

Tell me why SW and Hamlet crank the challenges up to 11 by having hostile mobs have a “chance” to spawn from the trees you chop or the stones you flip over, or the vases you bust open.. 

But when it comes to DST- I have to craft a flare that summons what should’ve been a “hostile” mob?

The problem with pirates is that it's a "choose your punishment" situation. Either killing the pirates, giving them bananas or just left them steal stuff, there's no right solution and you get punished whatever you do.

But the spawning mechanics makes sense, of course, pirates won't go far away from their island, that's quite logical. The timer will eventually gets to 0 and trigger the event if you stay on the ocean long enough though so just be patient I guess. If the spawn rate increases but the choose your punishment system didn't get fixed, that would be more problematic.

Yes you get more hostile mobs in your daily routine in SW and HAM. However more enemies not necessarily mean mor challenging, it's more obnoxious the more you play. I had to go to RoG to get pine cones just because snakes spawns every 5s when I chop jungle trees, ending up with all the trees revert back to small stage, wasting a lot of time.

If you really want a spider to spawn whatever you do then please consider playing on a PC and download Uncompromising Mode mod immediately. Seriously, it REALLY feels like you want the entire mod to be implemented in vanilla game, and it's just... obnoxious. You can't do anything meaningful because you would be constantly worrying about a random mob shows up killing you. It's like Edgy Rick's "you should always be insane", you are constantly under pressure and it's just, stressful.

Spoiler

Also people don't hate gamer talk, people hate Fortnite(it's cringe)

14 minutes ago, Hornete said:

This one I've been feeling a bit sad about too recently. I don't want things to just destroy bases, that would be very annoying! But I love the idea of these rifts scarring the world in unique ways.

Klei's generally pretty good with making fixes that feel good and "real", it's only been a few cases over these years that felt "video-gamey" to me personally (Telelocator focus's being prevented from being built on boats, the rift spawn mechanics)

Shadow Rift portal avoiding bases seems fair enough to me as it does ground pounds when it expands, fracturing and cracking in it's animations. But as I said above I would have really loved for the lunar rift to scar the areas it inhabits temporarily with mutation as it slowly reverts.

I mean I don't want content that just destroys bases either but content that can destroy bases has an important part in the game so long as it's fair one of the ways to motivate the player to explore is the threat that their shelter may come under siege.

For example imagine if the pillar mechanic the people are suggesting was implemented but the pillars broke down over time and we had to get more resources to restore them making us interact with the new content for the sake of convenience and safety is that not interesting? Is that not fun? Is that not expanding on our survival skills by demanding more of us for survival?

44 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei Adds Pirate Raids, They happen anywhere at Sea, Fanbase whines and complains that they ruin their fun of peaceful boat fishing or making funny boat bases- Klei Nerfs the hell out of pirate raids so that they now only spawn when your very close to their island actively searching for them OR Use a Flare that Summons them to your location when your ready to fight them.

This is a great example of why I wish Klei would be more willing to revisit and re-think their content.  Like boulders don't drop on structures, its a way to fix it but also kinda breaks the immersion.  I don't mind boulders dropping IF we're given fair warning.  The problem was the original timing wasn't fair.  I think it'd be cool if at the end of a cave in a few boulders dropped near you possibly smashing structures if you stood in your base for the whole duration.  It wouldn't be hard to design in a megabase areas where you could go for cave ins to prevent boulder destruction, same way there are places to go for hound waves and boss spawns.

I really wish they would have tweaked the pirate raids instead of just turning them off.  Have the number of monkeys in the raid scale with the number of players on the boat - same way hound attacks scale by number of players.  Then update how the curse works - I like the idea of the curse but giving it to us through pirate raids isn't so great.  Since we'd be forced to deal with them, we should be able to just fight them off and call it a win.  Like, I wouldn't like it if hound attacks forced me to be Wilson ya know?  It would be better if they gave treasure maps which you could hunt down similar to the bottles, but these would have better rewards and possibly auto-curse you.  This way its a player choice, and a chance, but for really good rewards like a good amount of ruins gems, maybe a chance for an iridescent gem or a boss drop, bundle wraps, etc.  Have the curse be player-based instead of item based, so they can't remove it by dying and it can't effect anyone else.  The only way to cure it is to give tribute to the pirate queen.

That would be a lot better for me - but they didn't do that.  They just sorta ended that line of content and moved on...  Which is part of why I'm not very enthusiastic for the "wait and see" approach to this arc.  If its going to be littered with overbearing mechanics that just get disabled b/c they were too binary / punishing, and then get cut off b/c they reach the end of the dev time for that map and it just gets dropped for whatever they work on next...  idk just doesn't get me too excited.

Archived