How do i manually "Clean up" my world?

Hi, i'm playing on a 350+ days world on a switch and my main base has been really laggy, dropping frames everytime i go near it, and today the game crashed for the first time and i took that as a warning, so what's the best way to clear my main base? I know that items dropped on the floor is probably the biggest problem but is there something else that may be a factor for the frame drops?

In terms of lag, mobs with complex brain> mobs with simple brain> plants> structures> items on the ground.

So ideally you should keep mob farms away from your base to keep them unloaded, as for items, you could just build a v shape stone wall and quick drop all the junk on to the same place. That should help with frame rate.

There are also some console commands to clean the trash in the world, but maybe just use a mod for that.

My advice is that it can be a MAJOR problem if you've stacked a ton of items tightly packed together, such as by dropping them all in a very very tight space. Try to space out any dropped items if you can? If there's too many all on top of each other you might even notice a weird green crust around their outlines. I believe the issue is related to the transparency of items somehow stacking on top of each other and the game having to calculate just how transparent it should be, but don't quote me on that.

3 hours ago, Szczuku said:

My base used to be quite laggy. Turned out that my pig farm was causing this trouble. The moment I removed the bait item and allowed the pigs to return to their homes at dusk, the lag disappeared

Could be it actually, i have a spider bunny farm and a catapult pig farm really close to each other, and they're near my base, i have already destroyed the spider egg to deactivate the farm, though i'm not sure what should i do with my pig farm, i mean werepigs shouldn't destroy the walls and fences right?

24 minutes ago, AriaMain said:

though i'm not sure what should i do with my pig farm, i mean werepigs shouldn't destroy the walls and fences right?

If there is no food for pigs to get baited by, they are not homeless or in combat they will return to their homes before the full moon. Meaning that you don't have to worry about werepigs

5 hours ago, sylvia wander o said:

a weird green crust around their outlines.

This is caused by the image of the item not "clean" enough. The image has some spots normal wouldn't be noticeable, however when stacked enough times, the spots enhance each other, making a green noise on the image.

Ohhh yeah, that's one that'll get ya. Pigs and bunnymen for some reason have super super intensive pathfinding. If it's still lagging, I would try removing the walls entirely, so that they don't have to constantly consider every single one for pathfinding. I once had a bunnyman farm that used houndius to kill them, and my game would DIP in performance as soon as they came out, as it was fully encased in walls, even though I've had much much more onscreen at other parts of the game without a single performance dip just due to the simple fact there were no walls around.

Can you maybe show us a picture/video of your base? It might help people who know what causes the lag help you figure out your causes for it & can provide you with helpful tips on how to reduce the strain on your Nintendo Switch.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can you maybe show us a picture/video of your base? It might help people who know what causes the lag help you figure out your causes for it & can provide you with helpful tips on how to reduce the strain on your Nintendo Switch.

Something odd happened, the video shows my bunnymen and pig area and the area that lags the most, i relogged the world (for the video) one day after i took the bait out of the pig farm and i came back to the walls and catapults destroyed, i'm confused, can neutral pigs destroy walls AND catapults? Edit: The video shows the fences and gate as normal but they were destroyed as well, i fixed them before recording, i also put another bait back

To the best of my knowledge, pigs only destroy fences and walls when they can not return to their houses and the world transitions through a full moon phase, (either by the night length being a full moon, Wickerbottom spamming her moon summoning powers, OR through killing the Celestial Champion and starting Moonstorms) A pig who can’t return home on a full moon will mutate into a Werepig and they become hostile towards the player, able to attack and destroy fences & walls.

3 hours ago, AriaMain said:

Something odd happened, the video shows my bunnymen and pig area and the area that lags the most, i relogged the world (for the video) one day after i took the bait out of the pig farm and i came back to the walls and catapults destroyed, i'm confused, can neutral pigs destroy walls AND catapults? Edit: The video shows the fences and gate as normal but they were destroyed as well, i fixed them before recording, i also put another bait back

First of all, your Pigs bait isn't good - use either Rot (if no Rot-Cleaner Mod is installed on server), Glommer's Goop, Ewecus' Phlegm or Powdercake. If using relatively quickly-perishable food items like exemplified Ratatouille, when it inevitably rots Pigs lose the baited behavior for a bit. If area's unloaded and go there under Full Moon, Werepigs begin attacking Walls, since they are viewed by game as entities (with hp) - and when Catapults attack them, they go straight for them next. That's why situation from your video, aka Pigs attacking walls when seemingly a bait in pen is present. But sincerely I have doubts your setup works well to begin with, I reckon some catapults can hit your walls themselves and free Pigs in process.

3 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

First of all, your Pigs bait isn't good - use either Rot (if no Rot-Cleaner Mod is installed on server), Glommer's Goop, Ewecus' Phlegm or Powdercake. If using relatively quickly-perishable food items like exemplified Ratatouille, when it inevitably rots Pigs lose the baited behavior for a bit. If area's unloaded and go there under Full Moon, Werepigs begin attacking Walls, since they are viewed by game as entities (with hp) - and when Catapults attack them, they go straight for them next. That's why situation from your video, aka Pigs attacking walls when seemingly a bait in pen is present.

First off i used pig skin as bait before the video, then i took it off because i wanted to disable the farm to make the world run better on my switch, as it was mentioned here:

10 hours ago, Szczuku said:

My base used to be quite laggy. Turned out that my pig farm was causing this trouble. The moment I removed the bait item and allowed the pigs to return to their homes at dusk, the lag disappeared

I even asked if werepigs would be a problem

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

If there is no food for pigs to get baited by, they are not homeless or in combat they will return to their homes before the full moon. Meaning that you don't have to worry about werepigs

Once i came back to the area to record the video the fences and walls were broken and so was the catapults, and i put the ratatouille there as a makeshift while i fix the farm

8 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

But sincerely I have doubts your setup works well to begin with, I reckon some catapults can hit your walls themselves and free Pigs in process.

They work as intended

2 hours ago, AriaMain said:

First off i used pig skin as bait before the video, then i took it off because i wanted to disable the farm to make the world run better on my switch, as it was mentioned here:

I even asked if werepigs would be a problem

Once i came back to the area to record the video the fences and walls were broken and so was the catapults, and i put the ratatouille there as a makeshift while i fix the farm

They work as intended

I haven't addressed your OP issue, but solely the video. What I've underlined is valid for video. If area unloaded, and un-baited, pigs don't go into their homes. They sit beside them to transform. Only if you load their area before full moon night hits, at evening, they enter homes. Seems you loaded area before they managed to get in homes, transformed, no bait so they proceeded to destroy the walls (aka default attack closest entity with HP component).

Yes, if your rig isn't good enough (not enough memory, good CPU, etc), even such small-medium size pig farm will lag. If many entities are "crammed" together ("many" depending on your rig), it will lag. You can try to "break" your semi-auto farms, location-wise: either be it a Pig Farm alone some couple of screens away, or in another biome, a Bunnymen-Spider farm in Cave shard, etc. DST isn't a demanding game, so if it lags probably your computer is low-end or have other issues/incompatibilities. Being old/low-demanding game also comes with another set of problems.

18 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

I haven't addressed your OP issue, but solely the video. What I've underlined is valid for video. If area unloaded, and un-baited, pigs don't go into their homes. They sit beside them to transform. Only if you load their area before full moon night hits, at evening, they enter homes. Seems you loaded area before they managed to get in homes, transformed, no bait so they proceeded to destroy the walls (aka default attack closest entity with HP component).

Yes, if your rig isn't good enough (not enough memory, good CPU, etc), even such small-medium size pig farm will lag. If many entities are "crammed" together ("many" depending on your rig), it will lag. You can try to "break" your semi-auto farms, location-wise: either be it a Pig Farm alone some couple of screens away, or in another biome, a Bunnymen-Spider farm in Cave shard, etc. DST isn't a demanding game, so if it lags probably your computer is low-end or have other issues/incompatibilities. Being old/low-demanding game also comes with another set of problems.

Uhh.. the Op is playing on a Nintendo Switch, not a PC.. and to be quite honest about it- I don’t know if PC version and Switch version are even the same game.

What I mean by that is- I don’t know if Areas of the world EVER “Unload” on Console platforms. I’ve sometimes abandoned my base that’s in a Meteorfields biome only to come back to it later to discover meteors still wrecked it while I was gone.

So with that said: I don’t think Xbox/PS/Nintendo consoles “Unload” Areas when you’re not actively in them like PC does.

Of course I’m no game designer so I don’t know rather that’s true or not but lately Consoles in particular have been suffering since the last update (the one that added lunar rifts) people are losing all their save files, the game is freezing and crashing when Deerclops attacks a Brightshade Plant, it’s really in a bad state right now.. but luckily for Nintendo switch players: The Brightshade Update isn’t in your game yet..

I have no doubts Klei is working to fix issues as they crop up (pun intended.. ;)) but for right now..

Im not sure that anything EVER “Unloads” when your a few screens away from it on Consoles like it will on PC.

PC has an option to disable Caves so your game runs more smoothly, Consoles always have them on with no option of ever turning them off.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

come back to it later to discover meteors still wrecked it while I was gone.

Meteorite showers still happen while off-screen, your structures are never safe. The game waits for a while for a player to show up though, to show them that it is indeed a meteorite area, but if enough time passes and no player approaches the area, the shower will still happen.

Though I agree with the fact that Switch and PC are not the same, I'm sure a Switch is as capable as PC for running a fresh new world, but the difference in performance for longer running worlds might be noticeable.

Archived