Wonky should be viable to play

But why should he be a punishment. I think it would be more interesting if he was a “sidegrade”, a transformation you can consider rather then something to be outright avoided. I think it’s some good potential.

If your chief complaint is that Klei went to the effort of designing a new character only for him to be relegated to a punishment to be rarely played as, then here's a suggestion: how would you feel if instead of transforming into Wonkey, he was held in a cage on the island, and you could unlock him by giving the queen 100 bananas or something? Then they could buff him such that he becomes his own character. However, this also comes with a few problems; would Klei accept just having an inventory slot locked by trinkets as punishment enough, or would they have add in something new? Would they have to spend a lot of time adding new things to Wonkey to bring him up to the standard of the post-refresh cast?

I was wondering about "rushing Moon Quay Island" to turn into a monkey for the speed boost to explore the world, then work on turning back when I was ready.  I never tried it because even if you manage to find Moon Quay island early in the game and survive the trip (both fairly difficult), the running speed just isn't fast enough to be worth it.

Base character speed is 6.  Wonky running is 8.  An untamed beefalo with a basic saddle goes 9.8.  Woby on a full stomach is 10 (slowing down to 8 when the monster meat is wearing off).  Building a saddle seems much easier than the trip to Moon Quay and the payoff is much better.

If wonky were to be buffed, I'd say to increase his running speed to 9.8 or 10 to compete with the beefalo.  That might make rushing Moon Quay practical with a little luck.  It gives players another difficult choice.  It's still a punishment to lose inventory slots and special abilities.  Giving incentive for one character to go monkey would also leave monkey trinkets on the mainland when they die, which they would, exploring with low stats.  Trinkets would make life interesting for other characters, or even the same character if they resurrect and want their stuff back.

I'd even be willing to trade, say, Wonky not being able to equip a backpack so the inventory crunch is even more severe if the result is that he can run at speed 10.  That said, if all monkeys in the game ran at speed 10, that would be pretty harsh.  Wonky would have to be a special monkey (aww, what a special monkey!).

Is Wilbur simply not an option? It would be interesting if he could be unlocked through something you could only do as Wonkey, but I don't know if there's some kind of copyright issue; I'd heard Shipwrecked's boats aren't in DST for such a reason, but we do have Warly, who debuted in Shipwrecked.

I really like the idea of wonky not being able to have a backpack to make his inventory crunch much worse in exchange for greater speeds. I don't want to buff wonky just for him to be another survivor, but because I think he could be a great risk reward character with a cost to pay for playing him. all I'd really want to see is the removal of his slow speed when not running. he can keep his low stats along with his other downsides.

as for wilbur, idk. I also heard about shipwrecked copyright although I don't know much about it.

Copyright is most likely not an issue, since we also have X Marks The Spot and various Crock Pot Dishes from Shipwrecked in DST. Therefore, Wilbur being added should most likely not be an issue.

And I don't think we can't have both Wonkey and Wilbur at the same time, considering one is a playable character from a DLC and the other a somewhat-obscure curse that most players won't get to see (due to reasons related to the god-awful spawning/non-predictability of the Moon Quay). Perhaps since Wilbur is already a monkey the Accursed Trinkets shouldn't be attracted to him?

Archived