WX-78 Refresh Idea

WX-78 is a great character, both through gameplay and personality. I love what Klei did with the circuit system overhaul, though there were some things that never really stuck right with me (i.e the scanning mechanic being revolved around a follower and the charge system being surprisingly uninteresting). So, I decided to wonder and dream about what a possible QoL/Refresh update would look like for the tiny little tin can. Feedback would be appreciated, and criticism is encouraged. :)

I’ll provide a small explanation for most of the suggestions in spoilers, just so they don’t seem unreasonable.

QoL/Key Changes Changes:

• Using the Circuit Extractor will now be a manual process; circuits will be able to be extracted in any order via dragging the extractor up to the meter and clicking on circuits to be removed. Charge will still be lost from the top down. Newly inserted circuits will take up the earliest space available.
  • WX-78 no longer enters the constant with the Circuit Extractor.
Spoiler

Two stones and two twigs really isn’t a lot needed to craft the extractor. It wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world to have to craft one yourself, especially since most people playing WX won’t need it the moment they get off of spawn. Really all it does is clutter up inventory space.

• Lightning will now restore charge meter fully.
Spoiler

An entire bolt of pure, concentrated electricity restoring only one measly charge doesn’t make sense, especially since lightning has been shown to empower WX very efficiently in the past. Having lightning only restore one charge is very underwhelming.

• Changed “lightning” to “electricity” in Perks & Quirks description (was “Is charged by lightning but damaged by water,” now is “Is charged by electricity, but damaged by water.”)
  • Reworked scanning mechanic; the Bio-Scanalyzer is no longer a craftable for WX-78.
Spoiler

**I’ve made a long explanation as to why this should be here, but in short, WX shouldn’t be a follower based character. Their character, both gameplay and flavor-wise never resembled anything near that kind of playstyle.**

New survivor specific crafts/tweaks:

Scanalyzation Circuit

“Observe the organics.”

Scannable(s): None required.

x 1 Silk

x 1 Electrical Doodad

1 Slot; allows for organic scanning, no stackable effects. Scannables are identified via a reticle similar to Wagstaff’s spectoggles instead of constant beeping.

Replaces the Bio-Scanalyzer and reworks the scanning mechanic. 

• Right click on WX-78 to enable the new Scan Mode. The HUD will clear up, and WX-78’s sensors will begin to flash. Click on WX-78 again to disable Scan Mode. Getting hit will also immediately disable Scan Mode.
  • WX-78 will be unable to interact with anything during Scan Mode, such as picking up items, attacking, etc. Moving is still permitted. Held items will not be dropped however will not be able to be used (i.e magic staffs, lazy explorer).
  • The cursor will be surrounded with a dashed radius similar to that of the Bio-Scanalyzer. Right click and hold the cursor to scan within the radius. Drag the cursor over any scannable and keep them within the radius to scan them. Moving during scanning will pause the scanning, but not reset it. A short window will be granted to resume scanning. The closer WX-78 is to a scannable the faster the process will be.
  • Once scanning has finished, the corresponding amount of Bio Data and physical blueprint of the circuit will be dispensed via WX’s mouth. The blueprint is able to be shared with other survivors.
  • Repeated scans will drop a blueprint upon waiting 2.5 days after initial scan.
Spoiler

I don’t know if this is possible to code into the game, but if it is, I’d love to see it implemented. Scanning as it stands currently is a boring, awkward and repetitive process, more so that the majority of this process isn’t even done by WX themself. Removing Jimmy and granting WX the scanning ability would provide for a more enjoyable, efficient and generally more exciting form of gameplay. The blueprint being physical and not just automatically learnt could even promote a little bit of team play, even if it’s only really compatible with other WXs.

Circuit Box

“Stow your upgrades safely and away from trouble.”

x 1 Board

x 1 Electrical Doodad

15 Slots; can only store circuits. Is portable.

Spoiler

This one’s definitely not a necessary addition, but leaving spare, unused circuits on the ground or loose in chests can be cluttering. It would be nice if there was a specified little container to keep them out of the way.

Electric Outlet

“Recharge your autonomous body.”

x 2 Cut Stone 

x 2 Gold Nuggets

x 1 Frazzled Wires

Gains one unit of charge every 120 seconds; can store up to 18 charges. Interact with structure to plug in charging cord. Charging will restore 1 unit of charge every second. Charging may be stopped at any time. Further charges past power limit will restore +0/-10/+25. Will act as a lightning rod and take strike priority over every structure including lightning rods. Lightning strikes will store six charges.

Spoiler

People have always complained about WX’s lack of synergy with other survivors. Even with circuits like the Thermal or Illumination (though the latter’s barely used) being introduced, there’s still not much WX can provide for team play. I thought to add a structure that can provide just a little bit for other survivors, and add a self-consistent charge source for WX.

Acceleration Circuit (Rework)

“Add a tiny skip into your step. A very, very tiny skip.”

Scannable(s): Rabbit.

x 2 Bio Data

x 1 Rabbit

1 slot; +4% base movement speed.

Spoiler

I understand why Klei made this circuit take up the entire charge meter, and the lhinting at upgrading to the Super variant, but taking up all six slots for one circuit is still weird, and arbitrarily weird looking. Scaling it down to a single slot would not only provide the same effect as the full slot (albeit at a greater expense, furthering the difficulty of getting the boost), but follow the same circuit formula as other two slotting circuits (single slot upgraded into a two slot). This change aims to offer another single slot option without overshadowing the Super variant of the same circuit.

Super-Acceleration Circuit (Rework)

“Kick your engine into high gear.”

Scannable(s): Rook, Nightmare Rook. 

Removed: Ancient Guardian

x 6 Bio data

x 1 Gear

x 1 Acceleration Circuit

2 slots; +25%/15%/10% base movement speed.

Spoiler

There’s no real situation where scanning the Ancient Guardian would be better than scanning any kind of Rook. Even if it’s to add variety, the gear used in crafting doesn’t have anything to do with the AG’s biology.

Hardy circuit (Rework)

“Make your robot body a bit more robust.” 

Scannable(s): Pigman.

Removed: Spider.

x 2 bio Data

x 1 Pig Skin

1 slot; +50 max health.

Spoiler

Pigmen feel like they’d have a better association with health than spiders. While spiders do have healing glands, there’s not much beyond that. They’re puny, and aren’t known for their high health. Pigmen on the other hand are tanky brutes, with equally tanky hides used in armor. Replacing the scannable and reworking the recipe would allow for a not only more reasonable scan, but trickier as well; the health circuit shouldn’t achievable through something as easy as spider death.

Super-Hardy circuit (Rework)

“Make your robot body much more robust.”

Scannables: Werepig.

Removed: Nurse Spider.

x 4 bio data

x 2 pig skin

x 1 Hardy Circuit

2 slots; +150 max health, +2 health restored per minute. 

Spoiler

Having the Nurse Spider as the scannable is just an annoying time constraint; unlike most other circuits, you can’t control when you are able to scan the creature, and are forced to wait until spring or so to get the scan. Removing the Nurse and replacing it with a Werepig will be less of an arduous hassle, and still keep to the pattern of the scan (single slot = X mob, two slot = stronger variant of X mob).

Sturdy Circuit

“Render your chassis indestructible.”

Scannable(s): Rock Lobster.

x 8 bio data

x 1 Fossil Fragments

x 1 Super-Hardy circuit

3 slots; +250 max health, +2 health restored per minute, +5% damage resistance.

Spoiler

Based off of the Beanbooster Circuit’s concept, this circuit (along with the two circuits to follow) serves as a third tier upgrade for the preexisting two other circuits in the series (i.e Hardy to Super hardy).

Nutrigain Circuit

“Break down everything you consume to its last fiber.”

Scannable(s): Bearger.

x 8 Bio Data

x 1 Thick Fur

x 1 Super-Gastrogain circuit

3 slots; +200 max hunger, 20% slower hunger drain, +15 hunger gained from all foods.

Maintenance Circuit

“Keep your senses moderated and carry on unabated.”

Scannable(s): Gestalt.

x 8 bio data

x 1 Lunar Tree Blossom

x 1 Super-Processing Circuit

3 slots; +200 max sanity, +2 sanity restored per minute, 40% less sanity lost from all negative sanity auras.

Power Booster Circuit

(Rework & Rename)

“Get buzzing with regal power.”

Scannable(s): Bee Queen 

x 8 Bio Data

x 1 Royal Jelly

x 1 Honeycomb

3 slots; +75 max sanity, +125 max health, +2 sanity restored per minute and +10 health restored per minute.

Spoiler

With the suggestion of the Maintenance Circuit, the Beanbooster Circuit (now Power Booster Circuit cause the name is kind of iffy) is its own standalone circuit.

Bearger removed from Super-Gastrogain scannable(s).

Electrification Circuit now grants an electrical damage modifier to WX-78. 

WX-78 now enters the constant with the Scanalyzation Circuit.

Cosmetic/Flavor Mechanics:

• Other survivors may interact with the Electrical Outlet, though will only be met with electric shock. 
  • Scanning noises during scanning will still be present. 
  • WX-78 will emit beeping at an increasing frequency to help determine scanning status.
  • Only WX-78 is able to open up the Circuit Box. Other survivors will take a small amount of shock damage and comment on the pain when attempting to do so.
  • WX-78 will cup their sensors (similar to binoculars) when scanning.
  • Upon taking damage, WX-78 will not bleed, and will instead show cracking similar to taking boat damage in Shipwrecked.

1 hour ago, Mr. Surreal said:

Replaces the Bio-Scanalyzer and reworks the scanning mechanic. 

• Right click on WX-78 to enable the new Scan Mode. The HUD will clear up, and WX-78’s sensors will begin to flash. Click on WX-78 again to disable Scan Mode. Getting hit will also immediately disable Scan Mode.
  • WX-78 will be unable to interact with anything during Scan Mode, such as picking up items, attacking, etc. Moving is still permitted. Held items will not be dropped however will not be able to be used (i.e magic staffs, lazy explorer).
  • The cursor will be surrounded with a dashed radius similar to that of the Bio-Scanalyzer. Right click and hold the cursor to scan within the radius. Drag the cursor over any scannable and keep them within the radius to scan them. Moving during scanning will pause the scanning, but not reset it. A short window will be granted to resume scanning. The closer WX-78 is to a scannable the faster the process will be.
  • Once scanning has finished, the corresponding amount of Bio Data and physical blueprint of the circuit will be dispensed via WX’s mouth. The blueprint is able to be shared with other survivors.
  • Repeated scans will drop a blueprint upon waiting 2.5 days after initial scan

Why would you need a blueprint, if circuits are useless for everyone else expect WX and other WXs can perform scans on their own? Though I like the overall scanalyzing rework idea, it looks more interesting than it is now.

But Nutrigain, Maintenance, Power Booster and Super-Hardy circuits look too powerful for just three (two) slots, even for their boss drops requirements.

16 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Why would you need a blueprint, if circuits are useless for everyone else expect WX and other WXs can perform scans on their own? Though I like the overall scanalyzing rework idea, it looks more interesting than it is now.

But Nutrigain, Maintenance, Power Booster and Super-Hardy circuits look too powerful for just three (two) slots, even for their boss drops requirements.

Some of them are in fact strong, I see that. What suggestions would you have to balance them? If I’m being frank, I didn’t put as much thought into balancing as much as I did the circuit concepts. I’d love to hear ideas for improvement. :)

The blueprint being dispensed can easily be scrapped, I just didn’t think the instant learning would translate well for the Scanalyzation circuit, or if it would be possible to program at all. 

Turning scanning into a sort of minigame might be a little too much for a mechanic so simple, I can see that. I think it would be a lot less limiting and redundant than what scanning is now though, at least.

2 hours ago, Mr. Surreal said:

What suggestions would you have to balance them?

I'm not sure about the others, as I feel like every current circuit fills its niche use in place of yours, but regarding Sturdy Circuit - maybe it would be good to give WX some native armor protection, say 40%? A bit less than a grass suit, but doesn't waste a head/body slot and will (probably) be good for day-to-day battles, especially if used with other HP circuits.

Archived