Why follow this design philosophy

Why exactly cant a late game item that is way more expensive be flat out better than a dark sword

Im guessing they are gonna add some more stuff to the items like they did with dreadstone armor, but the question still stands on why cant the new weapons for example just deal way more damage

Congratulations! You have just beaten the Moon Questline (as it currently exists) which would take maybe at least half a year in-game just to speedrun.

You now get to inflict a negligible bonus towards nightmare creatures and FW.

There's way too many types of players to please nowadays and Klei is choosing to go the safer route, I guess.

The effect of this is mountains of barely useful items that are in the end used by a small amount of players.

Instead of an 'OVERPOWERED' item that a lot of people use.

1 hour ago, yourAnty said:

There's way too many types of players to please nowadays and Klei is choosing to go the safer route, I guess.

The effect of this is mountains of barely useful items that are in the end used by a small amount of players.

Instead of an 'OVERPOWERED' item that a lot of people use.

I mean they're kinda stuck if they make really good new weapons the conversation will become something something wolfgang something something damage modifier and if they make a world change to the surface that's truely impactful the discussion will be something something my megabase something something make it rewarding without inconveniencing me in any way.

7 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

if they make really good new weapons the conversation will become something something wolfgang something something damage modifier

Thats not really it? There is not really a lot of questioning behind:

You put a lot of effort into a task

=

You get a good reward

Other than klei just not wanting to follow basic game design for some reason, if they do have a good reason though, it would be interesting if they shared it with us so we can understand their way of thinking better

We beat entire lunar questline just to get... Dark Sword 2.0 (reskin) ? 

As I understand, were in somewhat of a Terraria progression moment, we have better nightmare fuel and a better lunar shards... Even WIlson now can choose whos thumb he wanna suck, Charlies or Wagstaff Dont starve. 

Personally, I expect a "powerful rewards" for serving Shadows or The Moon. Well, we did get powerful shadow armor and powerful lunar tools, havent we?

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean they're kinda stuck if they make really good new weapons the conversation will become something something wolfgang something something damage modifier and if they make a world change to the surface that's truely impactful the discussion will be something something my megabase something something make it rewarding without inconveniencing me in any way.

Honestly I think they listen to the forums too much. Every time they try something new a bunch of goofs crawl out from their moms basement and cry about the “good ol days” back in 2013/2014 DS and boo hoo about how DST isn’t the exact same game that it was a decade ago and people confuse this loud minority and think their sentiments are representative of the community as a whole. They aren’t. 

We just saw this a few weeks ago, they add a few new minor/semi-useful perks for Wilson and give him a much needed freshening up whilst managing to preserve the vanilla spirit and add in a type of progression system(albeit flawed) and the forums were absolutely flooded with “boo hoo Wilson isn’t completely useless anymore” and “boo hoo dst is different now” when we should have been congratulating Klei on executing one of the most challenging character reworks in a very unique and clever way.

38 minutes ago, Dragonboooorn said:

We beat entire lunar questline just to get... Dark Sword 2.0 (reskin) ? 

Third, to be more precise. Second was glass cutter. Lunar Storms, Lunar Grotto, and one of the Celestial Champion's attacks almost completely devalue all glass. On the 80th day after killing the Celestial Champion, I collected a whole chest of glass. (40*9/6*75*68=300 600 minimum potential damage). Nightmare fuel could at least be burned in a nightlight, but what to do with glass?

2 hours ago, Vinja said:

Honestly I think they listen to the forums too much. Every time they try something new a bunch of goofs crawl out from their moms basement and cry about the “good ol days” back in 2013/2014 DS and boo hoo about how DST isn’t the exact same game that it was a decade ago and people confuse this loud minority and think their sentiments are representative of the community as a whole. They aren’t. 

any  example of them listening to much ?

2 hours ago, Vinja said:

We just saw this a few weeks ago, they add a few new minor/semi-useful perks for Wilson and give him a much needed freshening up whilst managing to preserve the vanilla spirit and add in a type of progression system(albeit flawed) and the forums were absolutely flooded with “boo hoo Wilson isn’t completely useless anymore” and “boo hoo dst is different now” when we should have been congratulating Klei on executing one of the most challenging character reworks in a very unique and clever way.

What's wrong in critiquing stuff? I applaud them for keeping the rework to their original vision of it (even if I don't say so or show that), aside from a few small-ish tweaks.

Though this update could be so much more, considering it's new late game content.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Tour said:

any  example of them listening to much ?

I’m saying I think the consistent backlash when they try something new in a major way is partly to blame for their sheepishness. 

when I said klei “listens to the forum” I didn’t mean that klei implements whatever the forum says, and thank god they don’t.

1 hour ago, yourAnty said:

What's wrong in critiquing stuff? I applaud them for keeping the rework to their original vision of it (even if I don't say so or show that), aside from a few small-ish tweaks.

Though this update could be so much more, considering it's new late game content.

Nothing inherently bad with critique, but there was a lot of bad critique. Many people came to the forum to tell Klei that Wilson is meant to be default with no perks and that they’ve totally changed and they’re  ruining the integrity of the game and bad take after bad take. Wilson was bland. He was a good way to get into the game without any big downsides to play around (a role he still suits quite well) but after a game or two the people who actually chose him first, and let’s be honest that’s certainly not everyone since most characters are unlocked from the start, would pick someone else and find a character who’s playstyle suits them, most often never to return to Wilson again. 

This rework made him have a purpose beyond introducing the players to the world, which is exactly what Wilson should be. Anyway, criticism isn’t bad so long as it’s done in good faith, and when big changes are made the mob that surfaces doesn’t critique in good faith.

I dont think klei needs to hear anyone on the forums to know this

22 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

You put a lot of effort into a task

=

You get a good reward

This shouldnt even be a disscussion about balance, i would be surprised to see anybody happy with the current items other than the bomb maybe

Its the same feeling when klei added the blueprint from misery toadstool which takes more effort than a panflute, i dont know if its intentional or they make an scenario on their minds where this is good

17 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Its the same feeling when klei added the blueprint from misery toadstool which takes more effort than a panflute

I think they added it, so that we can just multiply Schroom Skin. The power of that reward is that you never have to face that tedious boss once you get it. 

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

I dont think klei needs to hear anyone on the forums to know this

This shouldnt even be a disscussion about balance, i would be surprised to see anybody happy with the current items other than the bomb maybe

Its the same feeling when klei added the blueprint from misery toadstool which takes more effort than a panflute, i dont know if its intentional or they make an scenario on their minds where this is good

I think they are afraid to make rewards actually good because when they do a group of people surface and cry about them “making the game easier” or “changing”

If they thought that sentiment was shared by many players it would make sense that they make sure not to add anything that would create a new better tier of gear.

6 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

I think they added it, so that we can just multiply Schroom Skin. The power of that reward is that you never have to face that tedious boss once you get it. 

couldnt they add a more elgant way of doing it, like a shroom skin farm if that was the end intent

4 hours ago, Vinja said:

I think they are afraid to make rewards actually good because when they do a group of people surface and cry about them “making the game easier” or “changing”

If they thought that sentiment was shared by many players it would make sense that they make sure not to add anything that would create a new better tier of gear.

i dont really believe this since most of the time people are complaining about the game "becoming easier" is at the character reworks when a character you select on day 1 has stuff that makes eraly game very easy, i have never heard someone complain about a lategame item being too strong and klei should know when these people are exaggerating

Archived