Sweepers not loading up coal generators

I keep experiencing blackouts because my generators run out of coal, but I've got a bin full of coal right there and a sweeper that can reach the generators. What am I doing wrong?

FYI, the sweepers do load up the generators. They just do it "reluctantly." They'll move a small amount, then take a break, etc. Occasionally they fall so far behind that the power actually goes out.

image.thumb.png.84947e4e45b05e89eff03ebb78ab65f6.png

image.thumb.png.5d74676183bc58dc0d514aa66a46aba1.png

Edit: Adding an extra battery seems to have solved it.

Edit 2: No, it didn't.

Couple of problems are probably happening here to cause the issue

1. Coal generators do not accept coal while they are disabled by the smart battery

2. Sweepers will not pick up tasks that are assigned to dupes

If you use a broad range on your smart battery (eg on at 10%, off at 90%) you will maximize the duration of uptime and give the sweepers more time to complete their errands before the generators are disabled by the smart battery. This addresses issue #1

issue #2 is a bit trickier, but can be solved if you are able to restrict dupe access to the generator room. My guess is that dupes are being assigned the resupply errand, but it takes them too long to travel to the generators before they are disabled by the smart battery. Blocking dupe access will allow the task to be assigned to the sweeper.

I have some guesses as to why adding an extra battery helped, but am quite confident that the fundamental issue will be solved by the steps described above.

8 hours ago, Charletrom said:

1. Coal generators do not accept coal while they are disabled by the smart battery

You're right. This is what was happening. I tested some more and I was wrong about the battery alone solving it.

Also set the slider on the coal generator to 100%. That means that even if the battery is 100% full the refill task is still being issued and not cancelled.
This fixes the issue that many people think it's the coal generator internal storage the slider represents.
It also fixes the issue that the default value is 50% thus untimely cancelling a refill task when the battery charge state reaches above that.
The slider is for use with regular batteries when automated it should always be set to 100%.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:51 AM, Saturnus said:

The slider is for use with regular batteries when automated it should always be set to 100%.

would this not mean the coal generator is constantly requesting small amounts of coal to be topped off with, the moment that the smart battery reaches below its threshold?

Archived