Jorge's Beard

So I've recently successfully rescued a Jorge duplicant into my colony. I've been observing him for some time.

image.png.5fee73d3d8fc7e0d9c3523173732064b.png

One thing that obviously makes him stand out from the rest is his scraggly beard. My immediate train of thought is, how does this happen? How did a duplicant grow a beard? In order to grow a beard, one must have the follicles in their face be stimulated by a product of testosterone. In order for this to start happening, one must go through puberty, which instantly leads into the thought that jorge, a duplicant, is capable of doing that.

This is interesting in of itself, but then my question is, how/why? Is Jorge perhaps, simply an 'older model' with differences in the brain that haven't blocked off the chemicals necessary to begin such processes? Or, IMO more intriguingly, is puberty not a process that is 'sped up' in the same way that other cognitive/physical processes are to maturity whenever a duplicant is, what i understand to be, aged up super fast through adolescence when printed, but Jorge is old enough to have simply went through puberty the normal way. In this case, would this mean that eventually, any duplicant will reach that same kind of heightened maturity? Thats a fun thought, to me.

Maybe he was just printed with a beard, a genetic ooze beard that doesn't grow or need shaving, or any of our normal human stuff because they are, after all, not human... so why assume that they undergo the same processes as we do in the same way?

Or maybe the other duplicants keep a razor in their pockets and shave as soon as you are looking away:wilson_ninja:The beard might just not be trendy in nowadays colonies, who knows!

1 hour ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Maybe he was just printed with a beard, a genetic ooze beard that doesn't grow or need shaving

an interesting hypothesis....

Kowalski "Noted" | Know Your Meme

1 hour ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

or any of our normal human stuff because they are, after all, not human... so why assume that they undergo the same processes as we do in the same way?

hahaha, If only I properly remembered the lore entries pertaining to duplicants and their development I would be a powerhouse right now! My pretty faulty mind wants to tell me that duplicants aren't really thaaat far off from humans much more they're sort of just short stature'd, aged-into-adult-instantly-after-creation-with-various-side-effects, capable of being directly manipulated [move to command], and afflicted with what would be a number of crippling defects in various areas around their body, and other than that they're sort of just human. But I could be totally wrong on that!

On 2/24/2023 at 1:22 AM, Primalflower said:

duplicants aren't really thaaat far off from humans much more they're sort of just short stature'd, aged-into-adult-instantly-after-creation-with-various-side-effects, capable of being directly manipulated [move to command], and afflicted with what would be a number of crippling defects in various areas around their body, and other than that they're sort of just human. But I could be totally wrong on that!

I think they're pretty far removed from humans. To wit: They use an enormous amount of oxygen - something like 100x what a human uses - despite their small size. They can hold their breath for tremendous lengths of time, closing their lungs so completely that (while they may suffocate) they will not drown in water or suffer collapsed lungs from vacuum. 

They only have one excretory function which they can use to completely purge radioactive contaminants from their body. They can, but need not, consume water (even if exclusively eating dry food such as nutrient bars). They obtain energy from the environment in ways unclear: Strong duplicants move so much mass around that they can expend many times more calories than they can eat, even if you treat gravity as zero.

They can see in complete darkness, although they prefer some light. They can completely and rapidly regenerate from damage. They can tolerate cold down to near-absolute zero and remain comfortable in heat barely survivable to humans. They are ageless and do not die from natural causes. They cannot breed. 

Verdict: They aren't humans, or mammals, or even animals. They're a lifeform that cannot be classified with real-world taxonomy.

Apparently, humans consume roughly 800g of Oxygen per day (NASA and others). That would mean 0.1g/sec, i.e. 2000 times less than a dupe (factoring in the dupe is about half as heavy). 

Given that dupes can carry up to 2 metric tons (60x their body weight), they must be ants! On the other hand, an ant can apparently survive several hours without Oxygen and from some numbers I found ants consume roughly the same amount of oxygen as humans per body weight.

The one thing that puzzles me is that the 100g/sec consumption of a dupe will result in 2000x (per body weight) the heat generated of a human, but dupes do not overheat from their own internal processes (humans do), so dupes must have some internal heat-squashing mechanism. Not possible in our universe, but quite possible in the dupeverse. 

Well, the dupeverse is 2D, while what we have here is 3D, so comparisons are pretty speculative anyways ;-) 

20 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well, the dupeverse is 2D, while what we have here is 3D, so comparisons are pretty speculative anyways

the game is 2D, but the world is clearly 3D. It's not like everything there is flat - you can clearly see that watching ONI videos

2 hours ago, pether said:

the game is 2D, but the world is clearly 3D. It's not like everything there is flat - you can clearly see that watching ONI videos

True. That is also why my cooks are _always_ Stinky and Meep! They are clearly the most qualified by far as the videos show.

That said, the Physics model is 2D and that comes with massive changes compared to 3D. While apparently a 3D world with a 10D(?) Physics model is possible (we seem to have that), a 3D world with a 2D Physics model would at least have some interesting properties like killing basically all preservation laws. Not a problem, just interesting. 

On the other hand, software is pretty much 1.5D (linear execution plus branches), so maybe that is really all it takes. 

Archived