Ocean Lightning Rod?

JazzyGames

Hey it’s me again. There is actually one more thing…and I know this has been a thing since Home Sea Home but I figure now might be our last chance in a while to get in these requests for single-player.

Lightning protection for sea structures and resources. We need this desperately. As it stands the only way to protect sea structures from lightning is to build close to rods on a nearby shore. Even Chests of the Depth are susceptible to lightning, as I discovered in yesterday’s stream. So we must actively avoid sea structures during rainstorms, and in Shipwrecked lightning comes frequently in two out of the four seasons.

One viewer suggested giving lightning rod capabilities to an existing sea structure such as a buoy. This would not require any extra content to be added and would just call on a little copy/paste of code.

I would be immensely grateful if this could be addressed in the current development cycle. Not sure when DS will get this kind of attention again and the team has done a great job with the hotfix beta so far. Thank you for all the work, it has breathed life back into my favorite game again.

I actually put together a list some time ago of every single entity on the sea that is and isn't flammable, there's.. really not a lot that can actually burn at sea:

NOT FLAMMABLE
- Brainy Sprout
- Seaweed
- Wreck
- Sea Chest
- Sea Yard
- Buoy
- Fish Farm
- Watery Grave
- Ballphin Palace
- Wobster Den
- Mussels
- Shoal
- Log Raft
- Raft
- Row Boat
- Armored Boat
- Cargo Boat
- Encrusted Boat
- Cork Boat Canoe
- Grass
- Coral Reef
- Tar Slick
- Dogfish
- Jellyfish
- Rainbow Jellyfish
- Sea Hound
- Yellow Crocodog (inexplicably)
- Floaty Boaty Knight

FLAMMABLE
- Chest of the Depths
- Steamer Trunk
- Gunpowder Barrel
- Mangrove Tree
- Cormorants
- Seagulls
- Stinkray
- Crocodog
- Blue Crocodog

With that in mind, I'd say they should just make the Chest of the Depths and Steamer Trunks immune to fire. There's also of course dropped items that can still get set alight, but I think a whole sea lightning rod structure would be overkill, plus add some irrational fears of fire at sea to players who don't know the intricacies of these mechanics. Cause after all, if there's a sea lightning rod, aren't new players going to place them down at the same frequency as lightning rods, under the idea their sea chests or tar extractors are able to burn?

Thanks for the info. And yes, it would be easier to make the few flammable sea items immune to fire damage. and I would also include booty bags in this list if it's going to be updated. But I do still think that adding a sea rod would help to protect other non-sea items that end up in the sea, even if the majority of sea structures are currently immune to fire. The CotD, though, absolutely needs fire protection.

Archived