Automatic Puft ranch

As the name implies, I have created an automated (almost) puft ranch. The idea of this contraption is to allow the ranching of pufts in order to obtain the products of their metabolism achieving an excellent efficiency-hands free solution.

Features:

-Full management of all solids (in the images there is a drop point within an atmosphere of chlorine for disinfection. However, a separated distribution system can be added).

-Management of puft princes: only one puft prince per ranch, puft prince does not consume any gases. Second puft prince ready to enter the ranch when the previous one dies because of starvation. Prince pufts consume more gas and produce less material, you do not want them, but you need them in order for your pufts to produce the correct eggs.

-Distribution of pufts: no eggs in any ranch, replacements are stored downwards, excess eggs leave the system.

-Smaller ranch of single groomed puft prince that produces normal puft eggs.

-Chlorine storage (from chlorine vents).

-Polluted oxygen generator (morbs).

-Smart transformer, programmed to shout down if all machinery tries to run at the same time.

Known bugs, efficiency problems (production and space usage), etc:

- The critter drop of can only be set up to 5 critters because in the case it is capped at 6 and the prince puft is not inside the ranch (and the replacement also is not alive), then the number of groomed pufts will rise to 6 due to dupe labour and afterwards the puft prince will automatically enter the ranch, overcrowding the ranch. Using a critter drop of capped at 5 will only create situations where in total 5 puft will inhabit the ranch (4 groomed and the prince puft), and in some cases 6 (5 groomed and the prince puft).

- It seems that loading the game messes up with the puft prince dispenser system.

- Smaller ranch of single groomed puft prince can be integrated inside another ranch.

ranch1.jpg

ranch2.jpg

ranch3.jpg

ranch4.jpg

ranch5.jpg

ranch6.jpg

ranch7.jpg

Nice. Though I think it could benefit from improved critter delivery.  IIUC you're using dupes and drop-offs to deliver the critters. I tend to avoid them because a) they take precious dupe labor and b) if a dupe is interrupted (break time starts) in the middle of a delivery they will drop the critter wherever they are leaving you with critters in random rooms, possibly even the wrong ranch.

I like to store eggs right next to the ranch like this:

On 2/1/2023 at 10:07 PM, Banastor said:

-Smart transformer, programmed to shout down if all machinery tries to run at the same time.

for the same amount of space you can use 2 small transformers to limit your conductive wire circuit to 2kW.  If you have loads above 2kW you'll get brown-outs where the few machines above the 2kW limit lack power but most will continue to run instead of killing all power to the circuit as in your current setup.

For dense and squeaky pufts the only fully automated setup that worked for me was this one. Doesn't break on save/load, is adjustable for size. I've made my own improvements (limiting the puft motion near the grooming station, making it more symmetrical, etc), but overall it is the same design.

Archived