DLC content on single asteroid

So, playing the DLC has shown me that I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to dealing with multiple colonies on different asteroids.

Could a game mode be added that allows non-DLC single asteroid gameplay but with DLC materials and research? Rocketry could still be used to mine asteroids for the space materials

Thoughts?

there are vanilla-style clusters for DLC. those are bigger maps (vanilla style) with fewer asteroids, but still have access to DLC features. You can always colonize space, but you can stay whole game on starting asteroid if you wish. And yes, you can mine POIs

37 minutes ago, pether said:

there are vanilla-style clusters for DLC. those are bigger maps (vanilla style) with fewer asteroids, but still have access to DLC features. You can always colonize space, but you can stay whole game on starting asteroid if you wish. And yes, you can mine POIs

That's just it, you can't really stay on the main asteroid if you want to get everything. For example, to make Fullerene, you need Graphite, which is only on the bottom of the aquatic planetoid.

Just now, pether said:

True, but you don't need to colonize that asteroid. Just land, mine graphite and leave the planet empty

Does that work? I always was under the impression that a rocket can't carry enough fuel to get back

I have serious trouble wrapping my head around the rocket mechanics -.-

4 hours ago, Turalyon said:

Does that work? I always was under the impression that a rocket can't carry enough fuel to get back

Depends on the engine, but yes - in my last game I landed, gathered everything I wanted and left with no intention to ever return.

In DLC, various rocket engines allow different travel distance and rocket heights. I like using Radbolt engines, IIRC they have 20 tiles of range. If the asteroid is 10 tiles away, you can easily make round trip with no need to refuel your rocket. 

If the asteroid is beyond the point of no return, consider different rocket engine or building refuel station somewhere near the destination. If you had good automation on such station you don't need any crew to run it - you can ship all resources there using Railgun. You can always carry more fuel in your rocket's cargo, and make quick refuel after landing if initial storage wasn't enough

You don't even have to visit the water planet in my experience there has always been a fullerene asteroid with in a radbolt rocket's distance of the central planetoid and just one trip yields enough fullerene to to make an ocean of super coolant.

One trip to the Niobium planetoid is all you need since once you have some you can turn tungsten into niobium once you have niobium.

The only planetoid you may actually want to colonize in the marshy one so you can get Isoresin from the tree and also that planetoid always has 1 or more tungsten volcanoes.

Archived