Some thoughts on shadow space and beefalo

I think the magician's box and shadow chester can be locked or unlocked. After being locked, it is similar to the piggy bank of Terraria. After being unlocked, the space can be accessed, but other characters can only access their own space whether locked or unlocked. Only Maxwell can access the private space unlocked by others from his hat, that is, Maxwell can access space items in multiple latitudes.In addition,I hope there is a way to revive the dead beefalo. In the game, when encountering network delays and other force majeure, beefalo often dies. Other players may not want to roll back for this reason, but it takes at least 15 days to tame a beefalo, which will be a heavy blow to players who like to train beefalo.

4 minutes ago, Pig and beefalo said:

I hope there is a way to revive the dead beefalo. In the game, when encountering network delays and other force majeure, beefalo often dies. Other players may not want to roll back for this reason, but it takes at least 15 days to tame a beefalo, which will be a heavy blow to players who like to train beefalo.

While network issues causing death is a shame it seems very much intended for your beefalo dying to be punishing even more so with Walter being the low investment beefalo option.

30 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

This is a misunderstanding. Shadow space dosen't belong to you and never will. It belongs to the world just like Chester. 

This is a misunderstanding. Chester doesn't belong to world as long as he is not in shadow form, because he acts as normal container. Yes, everyone can use him, and no, everyone can't use him from anywhere. Which is the point of suggestions about forming private networks.

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

This is a misunderstanding. Shadow space dosen't belong to you and never will. It belongs to the world just like Chester. 

I think the magician's box can refer to the Piggy Bank in Teraria and the Ender Chest in Minecraft, the magician's box can be used like a chest, each player's magician's box  inventory is independent and relative, and items placed in the magician's box cannot be taken by other players. But Maxwell can reach into someone else's magician's box with their permission.

6 hours ago, Pig and beefalo said:

In the game, when encountering network delays and other force majeure, beefalo often dies.

How is beefalo death connected to shadow dimension privacy? Beefalo death can be avoided by kiting better and/or unloading area if beefalo fights while not mounted; alternatively one can help beefalo to kill enemies on foot. Sometimes it's not enough to save beefalo, but in those cases player usually can take sufficient enough precautions: remounting before incoming battle, avoiding dangerous areas when buck timer is too low (I consider 1 minute to be high enough, and that's about 4 days of taming), feeding beefalo a bit beforehand if one plans to remount it in the battle (before hammering pile of broken clockworks, for example).

The only common thing I see with shadow dimension privacy problem is that it's inconvenient. However, unlike in case shadow dimension, one can freely use beefalo without it dying. With shadow dimension, however, one either doesn't use it at all, or must treat items there as non-existent (because relying on them is a bad idea due to possibility of them disappearing any moment). If shadow dimension is going to be treated as "trash can" where irrelevant things go, I question why one picks irrelevant items in the first place.

Edit: maybe it would be better to separate these suggestions, as one can agree with one of them but not the other, and if they both are suggested in the same post one can't show support for one suggestion without showing support to the other.

6 hours ago, Pig and beefalo said:

After being locked, it is similar to the piggy bank of Terraria

I don't play Terraria and have no idea how it works. Is the description below is how it works? Anyway, I disagree about making private nets unaccessible period, I think making them accessible only from corresponding shadow containers - as opposed to being accessible from any shadow containers - would be good enough.

Speaking of potential griefing. If only owner could access private space once it's locked, this indeed could be used against honest players if one just hides all valuables and disconnects (no one would be able to recover content even if they find shadow container). However, if shadow storage was accessible as long as one has physical access to container, the only thing malicious person could do is to disconnect with 11 more items (compared to ~30 it's not a big difference) than your average Wilson provided Maxwell wouldn't be able to hold more than 1 hat in the inventory. Or hide all shadow containers of the net somewhere (like boat in the middle of ocean), but this is irrelevant because it would be no different from just dropping unlimited amount of resources on boat or building regular chests and do the same. I see this as negligible inconvenience compared to benefit private nets would provide to both individual users and teams.

36 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

How is beefalo death connected to shadow dimension privacy? Beefalo death can be avoided by kiting better and/or unloading area if beefalo fights while not mounted; alternatively one can help beefalo to kill enemies on foot. Sometimes it's not enough to save beefalo, but in those cases player usually can take sufficient enough precautions: remounting before incoming battle, avoiding dangerous areas when buck timer is too low (I consider 1 minute to be high enough, and that's about 4 days of taming), feeding beefalo a bit beforehand if one plans to remount it in the battle (before hammering pile of broken clockworks, for example).

The only common thing I see with shadow dimension privacy problem is that it's inconvenient. However, unlike in case shadow dimension, one can freely use beefalo without it dying. With shadow dimension, however, one either doesn't use it at all, or must treat items there as non-existent (because relying on them is a bad idea due to possibility of them disappearing any moment). If shadow dimension is going to be treated as "trash can" where irrelevant things go, I question why one picks irrelevant items in the first place.

Edit: maybe it would be better to separate these suggestions, as one can agree with one of them but not the other, and if they both are suggested in the same post one can't show support for one suggestion without showing support to the other.

I don't play Terraria and have no idea how it works. Is the description below is how it works? Anyway, I disagree about making private nets unaccessible period, I think making them accessible only from corresponding shadow containers - as opposed to being accessible from any shadow containers - would be good enough.

Speaking of potential griefing. If only owner could access private space once it's locked, this is indeed could be used against honest players if one just hides all valuables and disconnects (no one would be able to recover content even if they find shadow container). However, if shadow storage was accessible as long as one has physical access to container, the only thing malicious person could do is to disconnect with 12 more items (compared to ~30 it's not a big difference) than your average Wilson provided Maxwell wouldn't be able to hold more than 1 hat in the inventory. I see this as negligible inconvenience compared to benefit private nets would provide to both individual users and teams.

Thank you for your advice and reply:wickerbottomthanks:

4 hours ago, Pig and beefalo said:

I think the magician's box can refer to the Piggy Bank in Teraria and the Ender Chest in Minecraft, the magician's box can be used like a chest, each player's magician's box  inventory is independent and relative, and items placed in the magician's box cannot be taken by other players. But Maxwell can reach into someone else's magician's box with their permission.

Piggy bank is just extra inventory slots. And that's what I'm saying. Shadow dimention is not extra inventory slots and shouldn't be. It's designed to be accessed by everyone because its an item portal not a backpack.

Archived