I don’t think the shadow duelist changes (proximity/summoner fighting) makes sense for Maxwell

(Edit: some overlap with this thread:)

---

Maxwell is frail (75HP) and so not really suited for direct combat. Also he cannot negate the sanity drain of shadow armor with his innate dapperness alone. I don’t think it makes sense to incentivize leading the charge with him.

There are already other fighter characters. Webber (minion character) has slightly above average (default) HP. Wurt (minion character) gets 250HP when the Merm King lives.

Of course it works right now. You can “just kite”, like with everyone else. But beyond the “skill issue” retorts I just think it’s not great character design. Right now, peak combat Maxwell just consists of getting enough shadow gear and being able to fight on the level of Wilson. So he is both not a good fighter and the skill ceiling for fighting with Maxwell compared to Wilson is not that high.

Of course the update makes sense given the state of the fighter summons, i.e. to counteract people just fighting by “spamming” the book. But I think it would be much better if Maxwell, for his fighting perk, was redesigned as a diverse summoner who could support the team with several different support shadows. For example a healer, a ranged fighter, and things like that. And then make skillful Maxwell combat about balancing what shadows to aide himself (solo) or his team.

So yes, this proposed change would put Maxwell back on the front lines when it comes to fighting solo, since he might not have any great damage output shadows left. But crucially he would change from using shadow duelists (fighters) just for damage-output to using them for more strategic and tactical play, just like his shadow trap and his other cast (the one that casts fear). “Brains over brawn.”

3 hours ago, abrocator said:

Maxwell is frail (75HP) and so not really suited for direct combat. Also he cannot negate the sanity drain of shadow armor with his innate dapperness alone. I don’t think it makes sense to incentivize leading the charge with him.

He doesn't get sanity drain from the armor or sword anymore from what I've tested and as such like Wanda his night armor more than makes up for his low hp.

There are already other fighter characters. Webber (minion character) has slightly above average (default) HP. Wurt (minion character) gets 250HP when the Merm King lives.

He also has far more useful abilities than them for far cheaper as well( At least in Wurt's case)

Of course it works right now. You can “just kite”, like with everyone else. But beyond the “skill issue” retorts I just think it’s not great character design. Right now, peak combat Maxwell just consists of getting enough shadow gear and being able to fight on the level of Wilson. So he is both not a good fighter and the skill ceiling for fighting with Maxwell compared to Wilson is not that high.

With the dark sword, night armor and duelists I wouldn't doubt his damage output being closer to Wanda's and Wolfgang's than Wilson.

Of course the update makes sense given the state of the fighter summons, i.e. to counteract people just fighting by “spamming” the book. But I think it would be much better if Maxwell, for his fighting perk, was redesigned as a diverse summoner who could support the team with several different support shadows. For example a healer, a ranged fighter, and things like that. And then make skillful Maxwell combat about balancing what shadows to aide himself (solo) or his team.

I do think this is a interesting idea though I'm not sure how it could be implemented in a balanced way.

Shadow equipment no longer drains his sanity over time at all. In my opinion Maxwell having low health is only a flaw if he is encouraged to join in direct combat too, but there might be a point to be made about comparing him to the other minion based characters.

Although the idea of making him more of a full summoner character is interesting, he simply does not need it. It's wholly unnecessary because yes he can no longer use his summons solely to fight, but he also has unmatched inventory storage, top-tier if not the best gathering, extremely high damage output, an innate tam boost, ability to hold bosses and many mobs in place, as well as being able to set up traps in advance to disperse them when needed. (Also almost all of these things either come to him innately or at the cost of EXTREMELY cheap items... like a top hat)

Maxwell is plenty strong enough and has so much at his disposal. I cannot agree with the notion that he needs something more when he already has everything everyone else is missing. Half health is bad, but with how much healing and damage reduction one can accrue I think his upsides more than make up for it.

Archived