Please make klei public servers able to save in the qol after a crash

I've been steady asking this for the past year and seems like I'm screaming in the void. Please klei, make the amazon gamelift server not go to day 1 after a crash. 

Like I understand I might be annoying everyone and the devs about klei pub servers all the time on the forums but it's literally the only reason I play this game

So please, make a consideration to at least attempt to add some form of save on a klei pub server. The frequency that these servers crash is just too much. I had klei servers crash around day 30-40 many times and it is extremely frustrating

6 hours ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

I've been steady asking this for the past year and seems like I'm screaming in the void. Please klei, make the amazon gamelift server not go to day 1 after a crash. 

Like I understand I might be annoying everyone and the devs about klei pub servers all the time on the forums but it's literally the only reason I play this game

So please, make a consideration to at least attempt to add some form of save on a klei pub server. The frequency that these servers crash is just too much. I had klei servers crash around day 30-40 many times and it is extremely frustrating

If a server never resets, new players will get discouraged from joining a late running server of 100 days or more. You and your friends will in a sense own the server.

If they do implement a save function after updates or crashes. Then to prevent groups of friends from taking voting kicking control of a server and running afk scripts to falsely keep that control. Voting should be removed completely and a auto server world regen after 500-1000 days should be setup.

To prevent griefing (burning), literally everything should be renewable, mandrakes, bunnyhouses, pig houses... it all should regen overtime and regen faster depending on how many of each resource is left... fits the theme of the world being the "the constant"... klei has been doin good in making everythin renewable so far... keep it up lads.

I believe this to be the only fair balance for people who play pubs without friends and people who play pubs with friends.

People talk about how individuals grief pub servers all the time on these forums. But from my solo experience on klei pubs, the worst offenders of griefing are the groups of friends that vote kick you off for no reason and since they have voting control, literally nothing you can do against it.

Gotta see the otherside of the fence too, Nimzowitsch.

5 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

If a server never resets, new players will get discouraged from joining a late running server of 100 days or more. You and your friends will in a sense own the server.

If they do implement a save function after updates or crashes. Then to prevent groups of friends from taking voting kicking control of a server and running afk scripts to falsely keep that control. Voting should be removed completely and a auto server world regen after 500-1000 days should be setup.

To prevent griefing (burning), literally everything should be renewable, mandrakes, bunnyhouses, pig houses... it all should regen overtime and regen faster depending on how many of each resource is left... fits the theme of the world being the "the constant"... klei has been doin good in making everythin renewable so far... keep it up lads.

I believe this to be the only fair balance for people who play pubs without friends and people who play pubs with friends.

People talk about how individuals grief pub servers all the time on these forums. But from my solo experience on klei pubs, the worst offenders of griefing are the groups of friends that vote kick you off for no reason and since they have voting control, literally nothing you can do against it.

Gotta see the otherside of the fence too, Nimzowitsch.

OP was talking about how servers can crash extremely easily, what are you even saying?

32 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

OP was talking about how servers can crash extremely easily, what are you even saying?

OP was saying to implement saving to klei servers. Not only to fix crashes. Im arguing how implementing saving is a bad idea unless they make other changes. 

@Gashzer If someone wants a day 1 or early start there are 4 other klei server they can join. I only play DST on the weekends anyways and it pisses me off when a world crashes early. Adding a crash recovery to their servers would benefit others too, it's not like I'm asking for something that would only benefit me.

I've even tried hosting my own dedicated public server using Google cloud and guess what? Noone joins because of the ??? ping error because they can't see my server on the list. Another issue that klei needs to fix.

I'm honestly just tired of discussing this topic over and over again with you and cheggf. I'm pretty sure you don't even play klei pubs so I don't see why you need to form such a strong opinion or respond to every topic I make.

2 hours ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

@Gashzer If someone wants a day 1 or early start there are 4 other klei server they can join. I only play DST on the weekends anyways and it pisses me off when a world crashes early. Adding a crash recovery to their servers would benefit others too, it's not like I'm asking for something that would only benefit me.

I've even tried hosting my own dedicated public server using Google cloud and guess what? Noone joins because of the ??? ping error because they can't see my server on the list. Another issue that klei needs to fix.

I'm honestly just tired of discussing this topic over and over again with you and cheggf. I'm pretty sure you don't even play klei pubs so I don't see why you need to form such a strong opinion or respond to every topic I make.

Its ok to have crash recovery, but im saying, it could be abused by a group of people to maintain the server for ridiculous periods of time like 4000-9000 days.

I remember a group of people came on the dst forums and celebrated getting the Catcoon klei server to day 9000 or something. Everyone liked their cool mega base pics! I think even some Klei devs liked the topic. But i joined that server before it ended...

It was the most toxic, over-controlled server ive ever been on!

• They used mods to track if people held torches or killed a volt goat or anything, kicking anyone who took resources from the base without asking then vote rollbacking.... its like why do i need to ask? You literally decimated all natural resources ive no choice???
  • Used auto afk scripts and premade bases designed for afking to hold enough player slots to control the server.
  • The portal had a moon stone maze (trapping new spawns at the portal, this was before you spawned with materials for a torch) and no natural resources for new players to survive. The portal was covered with new spawn corpses.
  • Their response to this spawn griefing was "people can just die and float to our main base to revive", ah yes nothing is more enjoyable than to die after 4mins on a server an depend on the "good nature" of this gang to survive...

Honestly i learned that day that the dst community can not be trusted to moderate themselves and the less power i.e no votekickin or rollbacking, the better.

Ofc game crashing is bad, but you cant just say "add a save function". By quick fixing crashing this way, you open the door to a far worse problem.

You will give people the idea that they somehow own the klei server or their base is worth saving over allowing others a chance at a fresh start on a new world.

Klei servers are special because they arnt controlled by anyone and also removes your own temptations to re-roll if you die during a boss rush, its the truest form of dst!

I want to keep it this way.

@Gashzer That's the point of klei pub servers, there are no rules. You can go up to someone's base and burn it, you can gather people to reset a server that someone worked on, you can group up and reach a crazy amount of days depending on how dedicated you are to staying up and kicking all the griefers. That's the reason I enjoy klei pub servers, it's an anarchy server. And you know the best part? If you don't like what somoene's doing on one server, you can go to another server that klei has hosted (5 servers per region).

1 hour ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

@Gashzer That's the point of klei pub servers, there are no rules. You can go up to someone's base and burn it, you can gather people to reset a server that someone worked on, you can group up and reach a crazy amount of days depending on how dedicated you are to staying up and kicking all the griefers. That's the reason I enjoy klei pub servers, it's an anarchy server. And you know the best part? If you don't like what somoene's doing on one server, you can go to another server that klei has hosted (5 servers per region).

Lol do i need to link you your own previous posts complaining about griefers on klei servers, now u are defending the anarchy? I 100% agree that anarchy is the best, no one is the boss, i actually want to make it completely free by removing voting. This ensures all actions have lasting consequences like eg. Your team dying to ancient guardian or some boss henceby resetting the server naturally. No one can start false or bias votes to kick anyone. Sounds perfect to me.

5 servers per region isnt alot at all.... 

I do think the voting system is so terribly designed tho, it should stay in place until klei actually makes every single mob/resource renewable, once that happens then remove it. Then if a griefer burns a base you will always be able to rebuild it if you are dedicated. 

A auto reset when the world is empty for more than lets say 6hrs or after 500 ingames days sounds fair... especially now with beta hermit crab home needing non-seasonal stuff to build her home, every boss can be easily killed and a mega base made by day 500. I think these are reasonable enough changes to allow for a balanced an fair saving function to be implemented incase of crashes.

Yeah I made posts about the griefers that kept targeting all my bases which i still think is incredibly lame. I like anarchy to a certain extent and not dudes just targetting you for months to make sure you never get a base up. Like that is pretty sociopathic.

If you got rid of all vote kick/rollback then it will be complete anarchy which I find boring. Like a griefer could walk up to base and that's it. Everyone would stop playing pubs by then.

I would be down for the day 500 reset because I usually get bored of a world by then but servers rarely even make it past 200 days nowadays.

5 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Its ok to have crash recovery, but im saying, it could be abused by a group of people to maintain the server for ridiculous periods of time like 4000-9000 days.

I remember a group of people came on the dst forums and celebrated getting the Catcoon klei server to day 9000 or something. Everyone liked their cool mega base pics! I think even some Klei devs liked the topic. But i joined that server before it ended...

It was the most toxic, over-controlled server ive ever been on!

• They used mods to track if people held torches or killed a volt goat or anything, kicking anyone who took resources from the base without asking then vote rollbacking.... its like why do i need to ask? You literally decimated all natural resources ive no choice???
  • Used auto afk scripts and premade bases designed for afking to hold enough player slots to control the server.
  • The portal had a moon stone maze (trapping new spawns at the portal, this was before you spawned with materials for a torch) and no natural resources for new players to survive. The portal was covered with new spawn corpses.
  • Their response to this spawn griefing was "people can just die and float to our main base to revive", ah yes nothing is more enjoyable than to die after 4mins on a server an depend on the "good nature" of this gang to survive...

Honestly i learned that day that the dst community can not be trusted to moderate themselves and the less power i.e no votekickin or rollbacking, the better.

1) Your example is a very rare case, that would hardly ever happen and has nothing to do with a safe function. There needs to be a group of people large enough to always win regen votes and also kick votes. This group then also needs to take turns (because they will at least have to sleep sometimes) in order to hijack a server in the way you are describing. Nothing stops people from doing this now. It's also not very likely to happen on a larger scale. Even if it would, it could be adressed THEN.

2) Klei public servers are dedicated, unmodded and usually run caves. This alone is a big reason, why I chose them, when I was a newer player. I can imagine, I was not the only one. It's just a really bad experience, especially for a newer player, when they lose all their progress in early spring due to frequent server crashes. I may be naive, but I (back then) also expected that the Klei official servers were kinda more reliable then servers hosted by steamgroups and such.

3) Some Klei servers run in endless mode. Clearly they are not supposed to lose all progress every 2 hours.

4) Players that have invested into a world to the point of carrying it (despites needing to sleep and griefers) develop weird theories on what causes these crashes. A couple of weeks ago, I joined one such server. Even though they had been running for 250 days and moonstorm event active, there was only one player with the Bundling Wrap recipe. I decided to build a bee queen farm, that would be usable without me. After the fact, one of the "oldest" players there was terrified. He thought that doing BQ would crash (and reset) the server, which luckily didn't happen. I mentioned that he could (and should) report an issue like that on the forums. He reacted very surprised.
What I want to emphasize here is, something should be done about these crashes. When I played regularly on pubs, there were rarely any crashes. I didn't even notice that servers would reset after one. Nower days performance on Klei servers is at an all time low for me. One person running past a hound fort should not cause the whole server to lag (or through a killer bee biome or past your typical spider infested dark forest after some ingame years).

16 minutes ago, Prinha said:

1) Your example is a very rare case, that would hardly ever happen and has nothing to do with a safe function. There needs to be a group of people large enough to always win regen votes and also kick votes. This group then also needs to take turns (because they will at least have to sleep sometimes) in order to hijack a server in the way you are describing. Nothing stops people from doing this now. It's also not very likely to happen on a larger scale. Even if it would, it could be adressed THEN.

Pretty sure the same group got to around day 4000 on the same server a few different times after that.... this was a couple years back tho tbf but having a save feature would make server resetting less common and more likely than not people would grow attached to a world on a server they dont own. 

Yeah definitely server crashes are not good, clearly klei spend as little resources as possible maintaining them, question is tho, would you rather delay the Maxwell or Wilson rework by a month or two to fix the klei servers when the majority of dst players dont play on them?? 

Asking them to fix the servers forces Klei to assign staff to it that otherwise could be fixing or working on other more important Qol updates.

Tbh i have not been playing dst at all the last couple months, been waiting for an update worth going back to it for. A revamp to klei pubs definitely isnt it.

32 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Yeah definitely server crashes are not good, clearly klei spend as little resources as possible maintaining them, question is tho, would you rather delay the Maxwell or Wilson rework by a month or two to fix the klei servers when the majority of dst players dont play on them?? 

Asking them to fix the servers forces Klei to assign staff to it that otherwise could be fixing or working on other more important Qol updates.

Tbh i have not been playing dst at all the last couple months, been waiting for an update worth going back to it for. A revamp to klei pubs definitely isnt it.

Too many asumptions about the inner workings of Klei. Open your mind:

- Server problems could be caused by an issue that's not even up to Klei to fix. (For example problems with cables)
- Klei might not even be aware of server problems. Not a whole lot of feedback about server performance. There was a thread in the past, but crashes were supposedly caused by hacks.
- We don't know if it's a big thing or a small thing. We may think that enabling the safe function is a small fix (rather a work around), but maybe the required disk space is very expensive. 
- Why are you assuming to know how Klei manages their ressources? There is no indication that dealing with server crashes delays any updates. I think it's quite pointless to speculate what the impact of x action is. For example you said "public servers are not important", while I just said, that many new players first impressions of the game are gathered on public servers. So the impact may be huge for people to stay with the game or play something else. I personally am much more likely to spend money on a free 2 play game, when I feel cared for. I have no numbers, you have no numbers. There is no point discussing this without data. We can give feedback and Klei will decide how, when or why they adress something. You and me we don't have the power to delay an update, no matter how much we write on the forums. ;)

19 minutes ago, Prinha said:

Too many asumptions about the inner workings of Klei. Open your mind:

- Server problems could be caused by an issue that's not even up to Klei to fix. (For example problems with cables)
- Klei might not even be aware of server problems. Not a whole lot of feedback about server performance. There was a thread in the past, but crashes were supposedly caused by hacks.
- We don't know if it's a big thing or a small thing. We may think that enabling the safe function is a small fix (rather a work around), but maybe the required disk space is very expensive. 
- Why are you assuming to know how Klei manages their ressources? There is no indication that dealing with server crashes delays any updates. I think it's quite pointless to speculate what the impact of x action is. For example you said "public servers are not important", while I just said, that many new players first impressions of the game are gathered on public servers. So the impact may be huge for people to stay with the game or play something else. I personally am much more likely to spend money on a free 2 play game, when I feel cared for. I have no numbers, you have no numbers. There is no point discussing this without data. We can give feedback and Klei will decide how, when or why they adress something. You and me we don't have the power to delay an update, no matter how much we write on the forums. ;)

Klei have stated on these forums before about how moderating or maintaining pubs beyond what they currently doin would be a massive pain in the ass.... Klei pubs have been an issue since beginning of dst, ive been around since then and they have literally done the absolute bare minimum to maintain them. Which im totally ok with. If it means getting to the better updates faster.

Yeah have you worked in any company ever? You can only do a finite amount of work with your finite amount of staff. Its life 101 lol

Dst literally encourages you to play a solo world first when you first buy it to get good on your own. Klei pub servers, in my opinion arnt the make or break for new players.  As other better maintained public servers with their own discords and communities exist.

As someone who wants to give Klei all my hard earned money an has done from the start.... Gimme more new characters to buy, gimme more fun, exciting bosses with cool new biomes, new items (ill eventually buy skins for these new items if they are cool looking) and new mobs, and gimme the Maxwell and Wilson reworks, ill buy the new skins for Maxwell and Wilson too.

The faster klei does these things the faster they get my money.

Archived