Smallbird Parenting

I have been desperately waiting for Smallbirds' growth mechanics to be touched up on, for growing and raising smallbirds was added back in the early days of Don't Starve. Raising smallbirds however, was a long and inevitably futile endeavor, with tallbirds turning on you when they grew older, reflecting the unkind environment of Don't Starve. However, as the game has moved forward, so has the philosophy behind tasks such as this, for players are usually rewarded with longer tasks, beefalo domestication, growing crops, and the whole alter questline reflect this pretty well. I believe this update has made getting to the Tallbird stage rewarding in the long run, but some changes could made to make the whole experience more enjoyable.

• 1. Allow Smallbirds to be picked up (akin to spiders): This would be extremely helpful for it would allow smallbirds to be protected in dangerous scenarios you are in, or they can get themselves in. It would also allow smallbirds to avoid being sacrificed to the inevitable hound wave that will come and wouldn't end the smallbird parenting when you head to the caves. (Also, who wouldn't want to hold these little guys)
  • 2. Buff Smallbirds health and attack: Unless you have an army of birds a smallbird wouldn't live long without constant safeguarding. Having more health and attack would keep it from dying to a single spider, and (might) make it promising as a bird killer.
  • 3. Reduce the full growth time of Smallbirds/Teenbirds by a minimum time of half: Waiting 28 days seems a bit excessive for a single tallbird, if it were 14 days or less it would be so much less tedious than before.
  • 4. Smallbirds/Teenbirds shouldn't activate team set traps (beemines, toothtraps): Since small/teenbirds can't protect themselves like a beefalo rider can from toothtraps, this only seems fair.
  • 5. (edit) Make Small, smallish and Tallbirds be able to board boats: It's pretty silly they can't board boats where every other follower at this point can.
  • 6. PLEASE FIX THE WORLD GEN ISSUEs WITH TALLBIRDS: Currently (unless this update changed it) it is possible to generate a world without tallbird nests at all, please fix this issue and retrofit tallbirds nests worlds that have been affected by this bug. It is also important to mention that there are no world-gen settings for tallbirds (including both pre and post world generation), please allow settings that could change the spawning of tallbirds in worlds created.

Regardless of this, I wish everyone the best wishes in becoming their own smallbird parent.

Id love a proper taming and breeding - ranching update in the vein of ONI. 

I want to live my dream of just living in a solitude forest on a pub server just tending to my animals and offering to trade some away to anyone who wanders by.

38 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I want to live my dream of just living in a solitude forest on a pub server just tending to my animals and offering to trade some away to anyone who wanders by.

Speaks to my soul.

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

Ada Approves of this Message.
(Honestly if Klei makes up a reason to add slicksters to DST, like from meteors or something... i might die of elation)

Archived