Skills, errands & their corresponding attributes are misleading at first

Hi, 

I played some hours and some colonies, great game I must say!

I might be petty but some things (see title) are not really related at first glance. I don't think it won't be changed but I wanted to share my thoughts because I made some logical mistakes because of this. 

Medicine & desinfection & medicine buildings - I tought it's associated with the Medicine attribute. The germ containment building are eve in the category 'medicine'! I was quite surprised to find out that tidying is hygiene! Too bad a higher medicine won't decrease germ spreading. 

Machines & cooking/tailoring - After finding out that machinary affects grilling it makes me think: "Why should I bother with a dupe with a high cooking status if I can have someone with a high machinery stat?" It feels that cooks are inferior to machinists.

Husbandry & critter aversion - It seems dupes are not negatively affected if they are in the same place with animals! Yet, they like their presence! 

Tidying & the plumbing skill - Well, it's hard to tell, but the tidy errands feel more like a cleaning errand, especially the desinfection. I never heard of "pleasy tidy up the toilet" :). Then there is the Plumbing skill, this doesn't make many sense, because a plumber should install, clean and repair sanitary facillities and pipelines, right? This increases the strenght, but not the construction and machine stats? 

It sounds like a "wish it'd be changed list", maybe, very deep in my heart I wish it but it isn't necessary. It's more like "I wish I knew this earlier".

Some of the naming of skills is kinda messy. Some of the things have been changed multiple times so it`s hard to follow atm.

Some of the buildings in the medicine tab should be probably in the plumbing cathegory. Currently the medicine attribute only affects how fast a dupe heals other dupes and that doesn`t happen too often and is a short task etiehr way. Germ spreading needs to be handled in a different way as we can`t disinfect air for the most part.

I`m pretty sure the grilling speed depends on the cooking skill. But some tasks give bonus skill levels to other things. Like operating the microbe musher would make sense to be both a cooking and machinery task.

Critter aversion is just a flat stat reduction that makes them slower in critter related tasks and makes the grooming effect last shorter. There isn`t any stress effect attached to that one.

Plumbing is a special case as it allows dupes to perform the "empty pipe" task which is pretty useful at times. Other than that this skill tree just gives a useful bonus for doing cleanup (and it looks like strength is most useful for that one).

Archived