Fiery pen

There is a connection between the TEIN and pyro explained, one needing the other to craft. So what if using the pyro explained to put out fire's created by TEIN gave you an electrical pen instead of the fiery pen? I'd act like a ranged morning star, making TEIN finally useful and would explain the connection between the two books. I just don't see very many uses for the fiery pen and an electrical pen would be incredible. Too much???

Maybe it could draw off electricity from charged lightning rods too?

17 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

Honestly i will probably seek to disable the creation of the firey pen via mods because fire staffs are just that useless, i dont need 50 10-30% firey pens laying around

I deff agree, I've only made a couple in the years I've been playing the game and that was a niche thing to light gunpowder from afar. That's why I was trying to think of a way to replace it with a useful pen (electric) and tie it into TEIN to try and make that book useful. It might be too good tho, A cheap ranged Morningstar might be a bit broken but I'd be cool. I dunno

22 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Yeah sadly currently fiery pen to fire staff is just like trusty tape to sewing kit - does the same thing but is kinda cheaper, except repairing clothes is much common practice than using fire staff 

True they are pretty useless

A few things about this item that come to my mind:

With the mechanic of being able to repair books, you can basically light on fire a bunch of pinecones, put them all out with the book, instantly get a 100% fiery pen, then leave the book to regenerate. So basically this is a fire staff that costs sanity to create, and can be mass crafted easily (with 2 books I was able to make 3-4 a day whenever I was bored.)

The only valid uses I see to such a bad, but mostly free item are:

1. To light trees on fire so I don't have to descend from my beefalo to re-heat my thermal stone in Winter,
  2. Distract mactusk so he doesn't shoot me while I kill the hounds. Or distract groups of bishops so I can take them out one by one (with a high risk of losing a purple gem if my timings are wrong).
  3. Use them to make snurtles come out of their mound, and then putting out the fire with a watering can/malbatross can, so you can farm snurtle armors for free.

I won't consider dealing damage to bee queen or bosses because the damage is really neglectable to my point of view, but you can add those too if it suits your playstyle.

Overall I wish the pen had an entirely different use (EG: creating a brief lava pool, like the one Klaus's deer makes, so enemies can't pass through, or to cook trapped enemies without burning their loot). The alternative is that at some point Klei is thinking to rework the ice/fire staves in a more forge-esque combat way, and by doing that it will indirectly buff the fiery pen.

Fire should do more damage, it's not destructive at all in dst. It should do % damage based off the mobs max HP because they are bigger thus more of them cought on fire. 

They take 8-12 dmg, it's usually not worth it because it takes so long. Fire is supposed to be a doubled edged sword, you burn your enemies to a crisp and their loot. 

Beequeen should take like 55 (27.5+27.5) dmg per tick but everytime you burn her there's a small chance some of her loot will come out crispy even if she didn't die to fire dmg. Alternatively, everytime a set amount of dmg as been received as fire damage one piece of loot is automatically deleted (ash). Though I think there would need to be some sort of indicator to tell the player how much loot they've lost with scorch marks or something. 

This could double as the solo player "modifier". Burn through some of the bosses HP at the cost of receiving less loot.

Imagine you just want a bee queen crown, it could be set as the last thing to be deleted. So you burn 70-80% of her HP and upon death you get the crown and 8-9 ash.

Bonus idea, the pen acts as gun powder. If you catch too many flames (Klei will need to allow at least a 101% pen), the pen will begin to violently shake. You can set it down in which case it will detonate after some time or yeet it like a grenade. 

If you set it down, you can  break a couple of rock fruits, boulders, ruins statues, etc with it. Don't make it do too much dmg though. So it's hard to kill someone with it (10?). The explosion is small and doesn't set things on fire. 

At the very least it would be funny. 

Archived