Small Wickerbottom tweaks I'd like to see before launch

Which of these changes do you agree with?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Bookcase (3 living logs instead of 4)

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Unsure / No strong opinion
  2. 2. Pyrokinetics Explained (increased range)

• Agree
    • Disagree
  3. 3. The End is Nigh! (chance to spawn treeguards)

• Agree
    • Disagree

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

There are several characters with overlapping abilities. It is proven that this does not invalidate the existence of x character.  

It doesn't invalidate their entire existence but it can invalidate their character specific contributions.

41 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

It doesn't invalidate their entire existence but it can invalidate their character specific contributions.

Not really, if Woodie is making living logs and Wormwood is making living logs, does that suddenly make living logs useless? No. You make tons of living logs crafts. 

Saying a characters contribution will be invalid is also a bit of an exaggeration. Is that character only sitting on their hands just waiting for the moment in which their perks can be used? A character's contribution does not start or end at their perks. Would you say Warly is useless if he decides not to use his spices? And if he does, is spices his only contribution and everything else is invalidated because all he can do is make spices and everyone else can pretty much do anything he can? 

No.

Contribution can be defined and measured in many many ways, so a simple overlap in perks does not invalidate ANY one character. What's more, it does not matter how "unique" of a perk you have if all you contribute to the team is death. Overlaps are healthy because it cuts down on the workload. A Woodie and a Maxwell? No problem, wood cutting gets done quicker and they can move on to the next task. It's a basic team building tactic that two people who excell at something can get the job done quicker. 

Damn, I really can't comment without writing a whole damn essay. This website gave me a disease, I'll call it forum syndrome.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

-Snip-.

The entire reason Wes got semi-useful perks was because without them he was 100% useless to a team.

Now this only applies to the CHARACTER and not the skill level of the player playing the Character, So it is good for each character to bring something that can offer a “team” while still managing to be unique in their own rights. As was promised by Klei when they started this Rework quest.

08826D07-BD6D-4B94-B278-DB14C9C7EF74.thumb.png.1a9d856fb2f11e7c09c9f20daac8ab8a.png

While I don’t feel that ability/perk overlap with another character is overly bad, if that is ALL a character can contribute to a team then that is directly stepping on the characters toes, without other useful perks- they lose their sense of purpose.

For example: If Maxwell can read ALL of Wickerbottoms Books and do literally every little thing she can + whatever the heck Klei comes up with for his own Rework- Why bother playing as Wickerbottom?

Klei even opted NOT to allow Walter to Craft and Give Loaded Slingshots to other players (even though Walter has several other exclusive perks..) because they as developers probably felt it would invalidate Walter further. When I as a gamer playing as Walter: try to hand another player a loaded slingshot thinking by doing that I can “help” them- not even knowing it’s something only Walter can use.

So TL:DR perk overlap is okay, UNLESS that one perk is all the character has to contribute.

Its why I was beyond angry when people suggested to allow Wurt to Swim, this would’ve eradicated any purpose to add Walani and her Surfboards to the game. Because as I’ve stated above- it’s the only thing she has to contribute.

And to answer your question- yes a Warly who isn’t using their personal cookware in anyway and is basically running around as Wilson 2.0 isn’t contributing to a “Team”

The “Character” not the skill level of the player playing the character.

45 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Ok, now explain to me why Wilson is one of the most common picks of the entire roster.

This answer should be obvious, but currently Wilson has no “Perks” he has NOTHING that can contribute to a Team except maybe his Beard hair for Willow Bears. So- in turn he isn’t constantly being pestered by other players to:

”Hey Wickerbottom make me Backpack, make me backpack please!”

”Hey Wormwood politely cut off your own arm and give us some living logs!”

“Wigfrid Heres some gold Give Helmet and Battle Spear!”

”Wolfgang come quick need help with Dfly!”

Etc..

In short- no one expects anything from Wilson.. and while I fully expect that to change when he gets his rework, this is my best guess as to why people play as him (that and he is the franchises poster child)

We are getting off the original topic though so DM me if you have any further Questions or just wanna say Hi :) 

Archived