Jump to content

Wurt's QoL, and how it has negatively impacted the character


Recommended Posts

Hey hi, I'm a pretty avid Wurt gamer with around 1000 of my 1350 hours spent on the character, she's my favourite and I love her lots. 

I recently made a new world after taking a break, and was pleased to discover a lot of nice new changes with my favourite character! Some things I'd been hoping for since I first started playing her about a year ago, and so I was very pleased! However, as I played more, I quickly realised how some of these changes, in particular the tweaks to merm A.I. have reduced the effective usage of loyal merm guards and Regular Merms against a select few bosses.

The first (and most impactful) boss on this list would have to be Klaus. Before Wurt's QoL update, you could kill Klaus with merms before they managed to kill his No-Eyed-Deer if you brought enough Merms for the fight. This however is no longer possible, as all of the merms will now target the attacking Deer, and Klaus will become enraged, making the fight a bit of a waste of time at that point.

Secondly is Dragonfly. While not unbeatable using merms like Klaus, she has become significantly more of a pain to deal with, and now costs more resources than before. This is due to the same reason as Klaus, where merms will target her lavae all at once, forcing her to enrage, meaning that you'll need to use a panflute a lot more than you used to before the QoL. Now, this can be remedied by making a big box to fight dragonfly in, and then creating a smaller box within that box, so that the merms and the lavae cannot hit each other, but this effectively doubles the number of walls you'll need for the fight, as opposed to pre-QoL. You can't use a wall method for this as merms can attack the lavae through the walls, but you can surround each lava pool with 2 boxes if you prefer.

The last boss I'd like to mention is the Shadow Pieces This boss, or bosses, have been made slightly more challenging, but it's not too bad in all honesty. Merms will simply target whichever Shadow Piece attacks them, which can cause the Shadow Pieces to die in the undesired order, which can be of little impact or lots, depending on who they go for.

So, what can be done? The main problem is the lack of control that Wurt has over her merms. To solve this issue, I believe a way to dismiss/de-aggro merms against their current target would be beneficial, as well as adding an "attack priority" of some sort, where merms will target the enemy that Wurt is currently fighting, if she's not attacking a target, merms may act as normal.

Thanks for reading my post! I'm hoping the developers will revisit Wurt in the future, and perhaps give her just a little bit more love to make her more enjoyable and more enticing to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

how many merms do you use?

I recently killed a DF with 30 merms and it was dead in two minutes. The fun part is that I didn't have to use the flute, build walls, and I almost didn't attack it on my own (most of the time half of the merms were constantly on fire, so I just stood on the sidelines and couldn't stop laughing)

After the first kill, I built walls around each lava pool and now DF hunting has become even easier

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe i was doing something wrong but i was never able to get the merms to target only klaus before the QoL, they always eventually went after his deer as well. As for D-fly i use the standard surround the lava pools with 1 box and the Dfly never actually gets a chance to rage with the amount of merms i use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Spirit Glow said:

Maybe i was doing something wrong but i was never able to get the merms to target only klaus before the QoL, they always eventually went after his deer as well. As for D-fly i use the standard surround the lava pools with 1 box and the Dfly never actually gets a chance to rage with the amount of merms i use.

Basically the a.i. change made it so merms have more of a horde mentality where as they are more likely to gang up on whatever hit one of them where as before they'd mostly ignore it until given orders if I'm remembering right. That being said that was something that was asked for so it's kind of a can't please everyone situation. Personally I'm very much fine with where Wurt stands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Horsheen said:

The first (and most impactful) boss on this list would have to be Klaus. Before Wurt's QoL update, you could kill Klaus with merms before they managed to kill his No-Eyed-Deer if you brought enough Merms for the fight. This however is no longer possible, as all of the merms will now target the attacking Deer, and Klaus will become enraged, making the fight a bit of a waste of time at that point.

thanks for this, though I was going crazy - I clearly remembered splattering Klaus quite a few times after RWYS dropped with Wurt and an army of merms, never having problems with 'em going for the deer unless I messed up. tried it nowadays after learning about all the new perks Wurt has, and even after many, many rollbacks, my army still insisted on killing the deer without fail.

when did this change happen? slasher 342 has a video of killing Klaus with merms from last year, so I'm guessing it came with WX-78 update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dlfy is fine, no need for walls, just try to keep merms further from lava ponds and maybe deal with larvae while they fight. fire is dangerous, not because it hurts, but because it makes merms panic, decreasing your dps. 

Shadow pieces are fine if you choose the target with something like an ice staff. 

but overall, some way to control merms would be nice. 

currently we can befriend them, order to fight or do a task(chopping/mining) and can unbefriend them by killing a fish in inventory. 

an item which would allow us to make them stop fighting/working would be handy, especially since after QoL merms work for longer periods of time. (also merms still can target AATT if they're chopping wood, so careful with that) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, niplu said:

how many merms do you use?

I recently killed a DF with 30 merms and it was dead in two minutes. The fun part is that I didn't have to use the flute, build walls, and I almost didn't attack it on my own (most of the time half of the merms were constantly on fire, so I just stood on the sidelines and couldn't stop laughing)

After the first kill, I built walls around each lava pool and now DF hunting has become even easier

Upwards of around 25+

Difficulty will vary based on lava pool generation, mine were very clustered and such my merms would constantly be lighting themselves on fire

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was like this before too lol, but if talking about each of this, Klaus is honest easiest raid boss and i don't bother taking merms on him, all other bosses you mentioned i have successfully killed after patch without any issues, so i think wurt is fine

2 minutes ago, Horsheen said:

Upwards of around 25+

Difficulty will vary based on lava pool generation, mine were very clustered and such my merms would constantly be lighting themselves on fire

Yeah use boxes for it then, also box walls are generally better strategy than just wall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...