Wickerbottom's rework: my feedback!

Hello! After testing the Wickerbottom's rework on the beta branch, I would like to give some of my feedbacks.

I find the rework pretty neat but I think it could use some changes.

- Overcoming Arachnophobia is quite useless.

First of all, I didn't find any situation where I could make a use of this book. If some people did, feel free to tell me in the comments.

In my opinion the slow-down area should cover a bigger surface and it should remain longer. Also, it would be nice if Webber had a speedboost when running on the area.

- Horticulture, Expanded feels underwhelming.

Come on, 15 veggies, really? It's not even 2 complete tiles. Honestly, this book is not worth losing sanity for.

It would feel so much more satisfactory if this book would make all 4 tiles grow veggies, since, untended and out of season, they yield no seeds anyway.

- Tempering Temperatures is not efficient enough. Reading this book consumes 34% of it's durability, therefore only 2 uses can occur consecutively, if you don't want your book to disappear. It also consumes 33 sanity upon reading.

As it is, I don't see myself using this book. Going the basic way with a regular thermal stone is just better.

The effect of the book should last longer to make it viable, and it should have 1 more use before disappearing.

~

Thank you for reading me, I hope my suggestions will be heard because for me, personally, would be such a shame to give up on 3 books from Wickerbottom's new literary repertoire.

Klei, please, don't let those 3 books gather dust at the back of the bookcase. 

:wickerbottomthanks:

Horticulture, Expanded is awesome what you on about? Its great for using on normal non crop seeds as it provides both tending and nutrients to your crop automatically, allowing for atleast 1 seed to be produced for even out of season crops sometimes even 2 seeds! (Sometimes no seeds if weeds are produced near alone out of season crops but regardless its still worth it) 

It is perfect for getting your farm started and its pretty easy to craft. Wickerbottom 100% outclasses wormwood now for farming no debate. Warly mains better praise wicker!

Overcoming Arachnophobia has potential for crowd control but yeah, needs a wider range and longer duration so i agree with you on that one.

Tempering temperature is meh, pairs ok with a beefalo hat or eyebrella but it isnt that overly expensive to make so i guess thats why its meh lol

3 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Horticulture, Expanded is awesome what you on about? Its great for using on normal non crop seeds as it provides both tending and nutrients to your crop automatically, allowing for atleast 1 seed to be produced for even out of season crops sometimes even 2 seeds! (Sometimes no seeds if weeds are produced near alone out of season crops but regardless its still worth it)

Giving often 1/4 to 1/3 of generic seeds can develop Weeds, randomly dispersed among crops, you can end up many-a-time with mostly the fruit/vegetable & 0 specific seeds - since seasonal parameter is out of player control when planting bird-dropped seeds and growing them via Horticulture, Expanded. In my personal runs around 1/2 of times I ended up with described situation - produce without its seed (perhaps my bad luck of getting Weeds was on a high streak). Hence I also agree to some further buff to Horti-Exp; not a must, but desirable.

I does seem that in the case of trying to plant random seeds, the first harvest needs to be handled a bit more cautiously, If the player has a watering can on stand by, and plants the seeds in a certain arrangement, you can keep up with the planted seeds.

On avoiding the weeds, it would have to be a case of waiting for the seeds to go past stage 1 to catch the weeds in the act, then using the book.

luckily the book doesn't seem to cause plants to grow over into the rotting stage anymore so this seems to be a valid method of gathering food.

as for the other books, yeah the webbing book is... just... bad, I want to give it more credit but it's just not good, and the tempering temp is nice for removing wetness, but I think my experience with it may be, I dunno bugged? I am not sure if it meant to prevent you from getting wet again similar to warly's fish cordon, but it seems to last until you relog which is very odd, Perhaps if the book adapted to the season and left you at a cooler or warmer temp for a period of time, although warly has dishes that do the same thing, I don't think I mind that much that 2 characters (or rather 4 wilson and webber) have ways to assist with temperature control.

I mean we got stuff like max and woodie who can both chop trees, wolfgang and wigfrid who are good for fighting, and who could forget wes and maxwell, the two characters who both get oneshot by depths worms (<- joke). In all seriousness It seems just fine to have characters who can do similar task, but in different ways.  

Overcoming Arachnophobia is actually useful. The problem is people are picturing it for defensive CC when in actuality it's for offensive hunting (like a real life spider web). One can use it for easily catching/attacking all creatures that naturally run away from the player like koalephants, rabbits, pigmen, volt goats, mactusk, etc. Of course, it would stretch to have even more uses should they buff it, so maybe they should. But as is, it's the mindset of the player that's lacking.

Tempering Temperature's true use is really the fact that it removes ALL wetness. I think the main problem is how it's advertised as a winter/summer book. I didn't realize this was part of the package either until someone else pointed it out, but when used, you'll be dry in the rain with 0 gear for days. So this book's real purpose is in spring or a spring ruins run or perhaps used in tandem with thermal gear for a winter ruins run. And it really is a great way to reap the benefits of the rain on your crops without freezing/slipping/going insane. So now Wickers won't even need an eyebrella on public servers anymore just like Wurts!

What Horticulture Expanded needs the most imo is the ability to fully grow banana and stone fruit bushes with 1 read. That would be a really great way to differentiate it from the abridged version.
Increasing the number of plants effected a lil would also be nice but not enough to really differentiate the two books i think. 

18 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

One can use it for easily catching/attacking all creatures that naturally run away from the player like koalephants, rabbits, pigmen, volt goats, mactusk, etc.

The issue is that Sleepy time stories does this better and easier considering how large its range is and how u dont have to chase mobs into a small patch of web that only lasts 30 sec before u can hit them. 

18 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

you'll be dry in the rain with 0 gear for days.

This is most likely a bug as some people have already pointed out since the book makes her completely unable to gain wetness, even from water balloons until u relog. Would be strange to have the temperature reset be only that, a reset to 35, and the wetness reset be endless immunity to wetness. 

Archived