Storytime mechanic?

I love the update thusly as is, but it seems like some people on this forum were expecting more in terms of play style/ lore. My idea: create a mechanic that allows the benefits of reading literature to be shared with fellow survivors, as opposed to them being subjected to whatever spells the witch whips out.

The thought occurred to me when considering Wurt and her relationship to the books. Having Wicker read the stories to her would not only be adorable and great character building, painting Wicker as a matriarch of the survivors, but also give some extra team utility if she were to have a storytime mechanic reading to other players. Maybe nothing changes for Wicker but Wurt gains sanity from hearing the story. Maybe reading books via these means takes the place of tent sleeping for Wicker; restoring passive sanity to Wicker while draining book percentage gradually. Maybe each kid character has a specific book that's their favorite to listen to- triggering a personal buff from their storytime (ie Webber, Overcoming Arachnophobia, Wendy Horticultural Abridged (flower growing), Wurt the Angler's Survival Guide, Walter Sleepy Time Stories.) or maybe it gives those kid characters the abilities from the books once read to them! Webber being able to throw down webs to escape dangerous situations would be totally useful and character driven. Or heck maybe not even just the kids! Read the Lunar Grimoire to Woodie! Read Applied Siviculture to Wormwood! Read Pyrokinetics Explained to Willow! Read everything to everyone!

Of course you might be asking how would the game decipher between reading the book for its spell vs reading for storytime? maybe it means a new structure. Like a lectern, or a rocking chair, maybe she reads around firepit like Walter. Maybe it's just a difference in hotkey.

I think this could be a beautiful way to flesh out a bit more of her character in a way that might fill in what was missing for some players.

I can also understand how this might be overstepping player suggestions and not able to be implemented in tight turnarounds, but maybe it can trigger more pragmatic ideas from the dev team. Thank you for your awesome work<3

Yes yes yes 1000x yes. I thought of just allowing the survivors to read certain books to gain benefits/negatives like Wurt does currently but this is much more flavorful and definitely appeals to that matriarchal role Wickerbottom holds.

Archived