How do you create a kill chamber for critters

It's been a while since I've played and I'm struggling to figure out how to kill off critters for meat. I used to be able to throw some doors and water in a room, close the doors to flood the room and kill the critters but it looks like doors now delete water. Any tips?

Heavily inspired from the regular PEZ dispenser, here's my (very ugly) version

image.png.7e80c2bfed0205722d2659a99732735e.png\

Automation view:

image.png.8f0c227452b3be0c7d80d0f12ae7b1ab.png

Meat Collecting/Shipping is done in the pool below. If you want "more" functionality, you can add an egg dropper on top.

Compared to the build referenced, this version does not work for flying critters (ie. Pufts and Shine bugs); on the up side, your dupes won't get wet, also above build sometimes spills water because weird ONI physics ...

9 hours ago, evenflow58 said:

It's been a while since I've played and I'm struggling to figure out how to kill off critters for meat. I used to be able to throw some doors and water in a room, close the doors to flood the room and kill the critters but it looks like doors now delete water. Any tips?

If your doors delete water please check the order they close ... that problem is well solved in the build referenced by Jann5s link.

BTW if you look for the deluxe version ... follow me: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/115017-deep-fryer-for-all-critters-with-auto-omelette/

I wonder if something like this would do the job, too (quickly hacked together in a sandbox); if it works it has the advantage that it's a little bit faster. Tthe idea is that the dupe won't be able to reach the drop-off as soon as he gets in range of the sensor ... and hence the critter gets directly "delivered" into the pool.

image.png.af647ad3c7ab33d3f0ba0229187752dc.png

So I built the original build to spec and the third door ends up deleting the water on the third and fourth doors. I'm not sure if it would just be better to use two doors but I ended up increasing the time on the third door to 10 second and the fourth to 15 seconds. That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help.

9 hours ago, evenflow58 said:

That actually didn't work. I ended up going down to just two doors and I don't have a water deletion problem anymore. I assume you can probably do the whole thing with one.

The reason the reffed build uses three doors is to completely fill up to the room to the top door. This is not necessary for non-flying critters, yet Pufts cannot be dealt with otherwise.

More specifically if you don't plan to use this for Pufts, then you will get away with one door, indeed.

Another attempt at the sequencing/water deletion is that you should have a look at the buffer gate values (you used buffer gates, right?), maybe it's too tightly spaced.

Good lord. Them some over-complicated solutions.

To drown critters you don't need full mass tiles of water. You just need the liquid tiles to fill the entire tile (from top to bottom, doesn't matter if the sides are open as long as the critters can't path out). This can be done by closing a mechanical airlock over any amount of liquid.

I use this mostly for hatches. The dropoff is set to a lower priority than the drop in the ranch so I keep peak egg production going. The critter sensor is set to critters only and sends green when the count is under 1 (so, empty). The middle buffer is set to 5 sec. and the top to 10 so it pushes the water up instead of just destroying it. Works reasonably well and doesn't need power!

20220720085701_1.jpg

20220720085626_1.jpg

Archived