[Strategy] How To Reliably Find Monkey Island

The idea is very simple, Moon Quay is (always?) located 3 to 6 screens away from the edge of the map (with default setting). My sample size is about 30 maps or more.

The island has a span of 3 screen distance. 1 screen distance is 1 vision bubble. The actually location in my sample can be from 1 to 4 screens (with 3 screen length), or 5 to 8 (with also 3 screen length). It's possible to miss the island with regular camera angle if you are careless like me, and it would be very frustrating if it happens. So it's recommended to use Camera Tweaks mod.

It's possible to go in blind and just explore 4 edges of the map with 4-screen distance away from the edges.

Here is a demo with woodie. But it's the same idea if it's done with regular boats. It can be done in very early game, as I have done it in pubs.

Spoiler

In my demo runs, I was able to hit the islands head on, which means camera tweak mod didn't help with the result. But the consequence of actually missing the island is dire. So again, it's strongly recommended.

I'm a bit confused about the strategy. It feels like the OP is just exploring the entire edge of the map with a camera mod, which is exactly what any character looking for the island would do. The average survivor is just more likely to miss it if they're not using the camera mod since they can obviously see less of what's in their immediate vicinity. 

3 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

I'm a bit confused about the strategy. It feels like the OP is just exploring the entire edge of the map with a camera mod, which is exactly what any character looking for the island would do. The average survivor is just more likely to miss it if they're not using the camera mod since they can obviously see less of what's in their immediate vicinity. 

As I saw from the video, mostly you will be near enough to see. I think it's better way than sail around.

7 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

It feels like the OP is just exploring the entire edge of the map with a camera mod, which is exactly what any character looking for the island would do. The average survivor is just more likely to miss it if they're not using the camera mod since they can obviously see less of what's in their immediate vicinity. 

The camera mod is optional. As I have demonstrated in the video, in the 5 newly generated random maps, my method was able to find the island spot on, right in the face. That means it could've easily discovered them without the help of camera mods.

The high precision is why this method is being shared. I did just explore all the edge once like you said, but the method did find all the islands in the first round.

The edge contour usually takes more than 3 days for goose (fast speed) to complete. If you miss the first round, it's likely to be 6 days. That's difference of 3 days of goose running, or 24 min of holding AWSD keys.

For exploration in boats, low precision will cost at least 6 days or 48 min extra sailing time, in estimation, because of extra obstacles and low speed of boats.

This is a really interesting finding! Just to be completely sure, maybe it's worth testing with some funky world seeds, or with a world gen mod that modifies a whole biome (like the Chaos Worldgen Mod). I doubt the results would differ, but it would further prove your finding.

Archived