I think we need a limited way to teleport our boats around the ocean

TL;Dr at the end

Since time immemorial we have all sought the perfect spot in the constant through which to access each biome with the least time spent getting to important locations.

Ocean content is here and it's being spread sporadically all over the ocean. While yes, we have boats that are getting goodies all of the time, sometimes you need multiple boats for multiple ocean locations and it can be jarring. 

A boat for a waterlogged biome.

A boat for pearls island.

A boat for lunar island.

A boat for quay island.

And the list may get longer with time.

The Pangea style of the default map makes traversing something on the other side of the landmass a slog. 

Building up multiple boats with decked out Malbatross sails/anchors/steering wheels/etc in each one feels like a waste/chore. Plus, building boats for multiple purposes is already an endeavor some undertake. You certainly don't want to make multiple boats with different focuses (cannons, cooking, fishing, weather, etc) for each location, right? 

I don't mean to make boating obsolete either.

The simplest (maybe not coding wise) is to allow the boat to go off map and teleport on the opposite side; aka the shipwrecked way. 

However, I think a more elegant solution is to allow the creation of large whirlpools that act like wormholes. 

Spoiler

Maybe a use for the strident trident.

These Whirlpools could be affected by the phases of the moon (giving the moon dial an additional use). Being dormant during new moons, becoming active during half moons, and growing progressively dangerous all the way up to full moons (full moon destroys structures on top of damaging the ship severely, but you still get to the other side). This facilitates quick journeys  that are simply meant to be point A to point B and back to point A, while also not trivializing ocean traversal or boats. 

Additionally, ships will need sails/anchors/steering, to enter the whirlpools safely so as to not give empty boats an advantage (or risk sinking). A "mini-game" could even be added where the player must always be sailing the opposite direction of the whirlpools pull (and give Malbatross sails an advantage during stronger pulls) momentarily before being sucked in.

With these restrictions in place it would not be unbalanced to allow the player the choice of where to place them (except maybe the distance from land).

TL;DR I just want a way to teleport my boat around the ocean (not the character). Sometimes ocean biomes are at the far corners of the world incintivizing empty boats and simply rowing there.

I'm sure people are already thinking of just building loooooong docks to some of these biomes instead of dealing with multiple boats.

i want a living log made boat that screams when is hit with seastacks and has some kind of chester's eyebone/beefalo bell attached to it

whirlpool as wormholes would be very cool and i also loved the idea that someone i cant remember said about adding a bottle to move our boat

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i want a living log made boat that screams when is hit with seastacks and has some kind of chester's eyebone/beefalo bell attached to it

whirlpool as wormholes would be very cool and i also loved the idea that someone i cant remember said about adding a bottle to move our boat

I don't know what the bottle idea is but it gave another idea to make moving boats easier.

A drop from Crab King: "Ship-less bottle"

Can only be tethered to one boat per bottle like a beefalo bell.

Activating it, sucks in the boat into the bottle creating a "ship in a bottle".

Then you can release it anywhere. Maybe the item has a cooldown of a day(s) "magic needs time to recharge" and you can carry your boat in your inventory xD.

Or it could use orange gems to fuel the bottle.

18 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

The Pangea style of the default map makes traversing something on the other side of the landmass a slog. 

Building up multiple boats with decked out Malbatross sails/anchors/steering wheels/etc in each one feels like a waste/chore.

That's a bit superfluous imo. For a lot of these spots (the waterlogged biomes in particular) my boat just consists of a firepit, maybe a pinchin winch and fishin bin if necessary, and then I just row back and forth with a driftwood oar. After all, what do you need all of those boat structures (malbatross sails???) for in a waterlogged biome?

2 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

That's a bit superfluous imo. For a lot of these spots (the waterlogged biomes in particular) my boat just consists of a firepit, maybe a pinchin winch and fishin bin if necessary, and then I just row back and forth with a driftwood oar. After all, what do you need all of those boat structures (malbatross sails???) for in a waterlogged biome?

That's just it, you make a bare-bones boat because all you want to do is access the biome momentarily. Biome which may or may not be on the other side of the world.

I personally like having the one boat for several reasons. I also prefer having a furnace on my boat, except in summer. I too have a boat with a punching winch and a completely bare boat to row to pearls. I like using my main boat, but it's not always feasible and it may even better to traverse long stretches of land before taking to the water.

It's only a means by which to give a completely outfitted ship more mobility throughout the entirety of the ocean as more content is added to it.

10 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

It was QuartzBeam who came up with the ship in the bottle, it's genius. Thematically and in practice. We would still need to make several boats for diff purposes but would eliminate the need to create identical boats on all sides of the constant

Archived