Pirates basically forbid you from using chests on your boat

So I found the monkeys break chests on your boat with a high priority. Basically it's like you have to use a well-timed pan flute strike to stop the monkeys rampaging over your storage rooms and if you miss a little bit, all of your chests are doomed. This seems too forced and cruel. Even a behemoth like Bearger only take the contents in chests and when he leaves the chests remain intact. Krampus does break chests, but you don't spawn krampus like every one or two days and he does not prevent you from building chests in your base. The pirates are a different thing. You cannot stop them from spawning, nor can you effectively prevent them from going too far in chest-destruction process. While you can use backpacks to replace chests, switching backpacks can be inconvenient. This is disturbing. I guess nobody would consider building chests on your boat as imba right? :(

maybe they should have priority on player inventory and, if the player dies or leaves the boat with them there, destroy the chests as a punish

them destroying sunken chest will make me stop keeping them in the boat while going to the next one for fear of losing such decoration 

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

maybe they should have priority on player inventory and, if the player dies or leaves the boat with them there, destroy the chests as a punish

them destroying sunken chest will make me stop keeping them in the boat while going to the next one for fear of losing such decoration 

yup, seems to be a viable solution

But to be fair, you can only place so many chests on a boat, and the cost of replacing a chest is 4 logs. I would be very surprised if anyone traveling on the ocean did not carry extra logs with them. It's more important to defeat the raid imo. The replacement of a chest is just a minor annoyance if you still have your stuff. 

7 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

But to be fair, you can only place so many chests on a boat, and the cost of replacing a chest is 4 logs. I would be very surprised if anyone traveling on the ocean did not carry extra logs with them. It's more important to defeat the raid imo. The replacement of a chest is just a minor annoyance if you still have your stuff. 

I have to remind you that monkeys break both normal and scaled chests alike. And you don't consider scaled chests to be that cheap to repair right? Plus the monkeys may even take the scales away. Now if Klei decided that this chest breaking behavior needs no cancellation I would suggest at least boosting scaled chests so that they become grief-proof would be viable, providing a proper reason for us to upgrade our storage safety conditions. TBH it isn't fun to know your hard work/reasonable use of gameplay features would ultimately get destroyed without a proper means of prevention. Like I said remember if you play properly you don't get your chest and homeware broken by Krampii, hounds, Deerclops, other bosses if you play properly. A proper counter is required if that destruction is intentional.

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

On one hand I get it can be annoying but on the other hand it feels like the sea is becoming less of a safe haven which I'm 100% down for.

Well, lore-wise/gameplay immersion speaking it actually is a very threatening experience, in a positive sense. But that aspect of game design isn't meant to stray too far from proper gameplay balance I believe though.

Archived