My Experience Farming Thulecite Via Dust Moths

I wanted to farm some Thulecite but I was feeling lazy and I didn't want to clear the ruins. So I figured I would try to farm Thulecite via the dust moths.

In my main world, I brought with me 32 Amberosia. Getting the amount of salt for that much Amberosia was actually fairly easy and I had some Nitre lying around. The rocks on the other hand were a different story since it takes 2 rocks to make Collected Dust unlike the 1 salt & nitre, so I ate through all the rocks I had.

I went to my Archive Biome all excited to try and farm Thulecite with the Dust Moths and that's when I realized I only had the 1 Dust Moth Den that's guaranteed to spawn in the puzzle room (image below). 

Spoiler

20220523113907_1.thumb.jpg.49a4f51193ad1b00973b00186fbcde75.jpg

I tried to make it work to see what would happen.

Instead of just sitting there for 6 minutes while the Dust Moth did it's thing, I had planned to farm the Vitreoasis for Moon Glass and that's what I did.

It took me 12-ish minutes total to clear the Lunar Grotto and I made sure to go back to the Archive to mine the Thulecite when it was ready (so I was able to farm the lone moth twice).

I ended up with 3 stacks of Moon Glass, which was really nice since I ran out of them farming wood with Wolfgang before this, but only got 10 Thulecite Fragments, which was not so nice.

In this world, I'm definitely never going to farm Thulecite or Frags this way.

Fortunately, I had another world for when the WX rework came out, and to my surprise, this world had a WHOPPING SIX DENS (image below). 

Spoiler

20220523214639_1.thumb.jpg.23e95bd91900e37ffb8d3ed0a04bac1b.jpg

I did the same thing as before in about 15 minutes and also did a third farming session of Thulecite, pushing it to 20 minutes. My end total was 56 Thulecite Fragments by the second session and 86 Thulecite Frags by the third.

If more worlds were like my WX one, I'd 100% put the effort in farming salt to turn it into Thulecite and I'd 100% stop by the Archive biome everytime I'd want to clear the ruins.

Personally, I only have the tolerance to do two farming sessions and for word's like this WX one, I have a plan that lets me do two farming sessions in 6 minutes.

What I would do is the first time I farm the dens, I farm it twice like I did above. Then I give all the dust moths a third piece of Amberosia and just go to the ruins.

That way, next year, the den is ready for harvest and I just have to sit for 1 day for essentially a 2nd session before going to the ruins. 

There's the potential for this to be a consistent thing I do, but unfortunately, if your archives is small and a lot of dust moths don't generate (which does happen), it kills any potential of there being a rather interesting gameplay loop of farming Salt + rocks/nitre and turning it into Thulecite.

10 hours ago, lakhnish said:

snip

I remember producing 80 amberosia, think I had 2-3 dust moths on this world, and I became incredibly bored after just 20-30 amberosia feedings and i ditched the whole thing, lol.

I don't necessarily mind 'slow' content, it's whether or not that content can get me engaged. Sailing is (arguably) 'slow' feeling but I find it very engaging with it's mechanics that it's worth interacting and playing with. Dust Moths though I can't really say the same for.

I really hope they make it so it's not just one moth den guranteed and the rest is up to luck.

Archived