Could we get maps that don't use voronoi patterns to control biome placement?

I had to google Voronoi pattern.

I wonder what is wrong with this approach. It gives you something that looks alike a semi natural formation and for somebody who never heard a bout Voronoi patterns it does look pretty random.

What would be the alternative? Rectangles or hexagons would benice for a more tidy asteroid that looks like pre build. Maybe some fractal shapes would work as well.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:58 PM, Sasza22 said:

I had to google Voronoi pattern.

I wonder what is wrong with this approach. It gives you something that looks alike a semi natural formation and for somebody who never heard a bout Voronoi patterns it does look pretty random.

What would be the alternative? Rectangles or hexagons would benice for a more tidy asteroid that looks like pre build. Maybe some fractal shapes would work as well.

They could do some other types of Voronoi pattern modes to change things up a bit. Running it in Manhattan distance mode will give some totally new biome shapes compared to the current fairly uniform pattern.
382px-Manhattan_Voronoi_Diagram.svg.png

I have asked for this in the past. And many similar things. Just some variety around the edges. Utterly and completely ignored, oft times derided and/or ridiculed. Some consciously better generalistically. Like the more informative charts, the better save method, and a few others have wiggled their way in. But the 'tailor it how you want stuff' seems to be a total no go at Klei.(for ONI, AFAIK). Whoever the IP person is has an iron grip on that system.

I really hope they do it. I don't know why they are so retentive about the specific form of the game. That it has to be griefy and nonmalleable.

Only in this one tiny arc will the content be allowed too be enjoyed, possibly. Any deviation from this narrow scope will not be considered.

Requests for simplistic additions, or logical reasoning will be ignored. Unless they are decor or entertainment objects, that and only that suggestion type will be entertained. Concerted effort by the AI(Dupes) to accomplish tasks will be secondary to fulfilling ceaseless petty entertainment, rest, appetite, hygiene, emotional and more, demands. Practical things are largely ignored by the studio, IMHO.

So I agree, and I am not informed or intelligent enough for the voronoi pattern stuff, I had to copy pasta that cause I never heard of it. Likely shud do like the other and follow-up, but nah. Maybe later  I'm too old....

I like that manhattan style map looks cool

The main issue right now is each Voronoi cell is the same size. Making it more like a wobbly hex grid then a really random layout. If you rip all the tiles off a map the Voronoi pattern becomes very visible and you can see what I mean. (This is not my image. I got it off the Discord server  but it shows exactly what I'm talking about.)

Screenshot_136_1.png

6 hours ago, link12313 said:

The main issue right now is each Voronoi cell is the same size. Making it more like a wobbly hex grid then a really random layout. If you rip all the tiles off a map the Voronoi pattern becomes very visible and you can see what I mean. (This is not my image. I got it off the Discord server  but it shows exactly what I'm talking about.)

Screenshot_136_1.png

This really looks like it`s baked deep into the game`s worldgen engine. Since the worldgen dates back to the early versions of the game i doubt it`s an easy task to change something as fundamental. Smaller changes tend to break the game. I`m not saying it`s impossible but it might be unlikely due to how many systems were build on top of it.

7 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

Requests for simplistic additions, or logical reasoning will be ignored. Unless they are decor or entertainment objects, that and only that suggestion type will be entertained. Concerted effort by the AI(Dupes) to accomplish tasks will be secondary to fulfilling ceaseless petty entertainment, rest, appetite, hygiene, emotional and more, demands. Practical things are largely ignored by the studio, IMHO.

I see this as them focusing on different aspects of the game. The build and design aspect is pretty solid and allows for a ton of creativity as we can see on the forums. Even small changes and improvements that are basically QoL can and will be exploited in super optimized and straight out weird designs and the devs seem to be really careful they won`t break the current status quo with new additions and not make the game too trivial.

On the other hand adding recreation, food items and emotional reactions doesn`t affect that part of the game but stills adds to the overall experience making the dupes feel more alive (less like robots) and sometimes providing new challenges around some new mechanics like keeping shove voles fed with warm regolith or setting up a sauna. Stuff like that isn`t mandatory but it`s an optionary thing you could do if you desire. For me it makes the game interesting but i understand if it`s a useless gimmick for others.

On 5/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Sasza22 said:

.....For me it makes the game interesting but i understand if it`s a useless gimmick for others.

Well done! You have a future as a diplomat quite deft handling there. My chin won't smart for long with the precision kids gloves you applied.

I'd want you on my side. Way to swat someone with a q-tip, gg.

While I appreciate that it may have definite complexities. And they themselves have suggested previously it is so, to that degree. But, why not attempt to adjust or recreate segments or some portion, as opposed to running wholeheartedly towards even more systems laid down on that?(Spaced-Out)

It doesn't necessarily make sense too me. Yet, I have been around long enough, and worked in the industry myself that I know how invested people become in the safe known rigidity. I'm saying take a step back, is it possible that it's time to redo it? With the foresight and technical skill they've acquired. They have depth of feedback, tons of analysis, etc They know a lot about what makes us tick, and how to make ONI tick.

Whats the issue with saying enough is enough? Is it actually antiquated and time to start anew? ONI as is can stand to float for some number of years 3-5?(Conditionally with some support and mild maintenance & updating) and still provide revenue.

And in that time they could lay the groundwork for a more applied contextual version. With the improvements that can be made with modern digital performance and power. They have a much clearer, and firmer spot from which to produce a deeply considered, fully fleshed-out. A pleasingly intricate summation of thought and comparison, that ONI now would look like some thing being played by a dupe on a tablet in-hand.

I'm saying they can try to improve this one, and it can work for awhile. Or they can lay the groundwork for the next decade of ONI, in the new decade.

By then VR will be king, and this thing I'm typing on will be dust in the wind.

And really how hard is it to give us some more conditional controls? Where is the harm, how is the brand hurt by allowing to have some say in density, layout, quantity, quality, in a more granular sense than, this world is happy joy time +3 decor.

I want to discern for myself quantity, and quality and caliber of the functional aspects of the asteroids, the size, the temp, comparative land type volumes, for example, the last being how much sandstone do I want appearing vs slime. If it were a terra map for example. How much iron, avg temp, localized temps. Values in gravity, hell light hues just jumped to mind.

Or the plainly practical lunch pails? That keeps stuff at temp, even though I suppose refrigerators may still be having issues? But no new fridge. Check out that hot tub. Light fixtures(?), now radioactive lightbugs! Semi-helpful and/or intuitive method of control gas/liquid movements. Half sized pump guys! Still water locks, for those that dislike the work-around. I myself kind of like the water/air/gas lock, it's a a neat puzzle. But mechanical doors I think until recently had issues with wire behind it

.i could go on, but old hands typing. at my limit

I'd rather they spend two weeks figuring out how to let me just change the overall hue of light on the map, than one more comfort item.

They actually made musical hammers..... :| but not a 'better' game. explain to me that.

^

rhetorical

Archived