Weremoose Balance Idea

Now, before I begin, I do think that Woodie is a very good character. His weregoose form is probably the best at exploring the map early game, especially the ocean, and the werebeaver is almost as good as Maxwell when it comes to resource gathering. However, his weremoose form has always been a bit underwhelming.

Really, the only problem I have with it is its damage: 59.5. Now, at first, this seems pretty good, especially considering the 90% damage reduction that comes with it, and the fairly cheap recipe. However, this really falls off as soon as you get a mere hambat and football helmet, as the football helmet has basically the same damage reduction, and the hambat attacks faster. At that point, there's no reason to use the weremoose anymore, unless you just wanted to flex your skills at it.

So, I thought of a solution: let it use weapons. Now, this seems like a very simple suggestion. But I feel like the way the weapons should buff the weremoose should be a bit different. Normally, weapon damage replaces the character's base damage. So, instead of dealing 10 damage, with a spear, you do 34.5, assuming you have a normal damage multiplier. So, what should this do with the weremoose? Initially, I would think of adding the weapon damage to the 59.5 damage the weremoose does, but that seemed like a little too much. If you have a dark sword, that would lead to 127.5 damage, which is a little high for what seems to be a more "jack of all trades" character. So then what?

Well, what I think should be the case is fairly simple: instead of adding damage, it increases it by a percent. For example:

Let's say you have a dark sword. Of course, the dark sword does 68 damage. The base damage of the weremoose, as aforementioned, is 59.5. So, to increase that 59.5, it'd be increased by 68%, since that is the damage of the weapon that is being held. This leads to a damage value of 99.96. Instead of over doubling the amount of damage the weremoose normally does, it increases it to a rather fair amount, taking in consideration the slow attack speed.

The difference between just buffing the base damage and letting the damage be impacted by a weapon is that you have to work for the damage, as you have to do with every other character. So, although it only costs 3 monster meat and 2 grass to become a weremoose, you won't be getting anymore damage than 59.5, unless you have a weapon that you also worked for in order to increase it.

If some people find this to still be overpowered, some small nerfs could be placed to this idea. The damage reduction of the weremoose could be lowered, the weapon may break faster, the idol recipe could be more expensive, or the base damage may even be reduced. Whatever the case, this is a much better idea than just having its damage remain stagnant.

I think it would be fair to allow him to keep his unarmed combat ability, but maybe instead add a few alternative recipes to the idol that add more improved gloves for combat. 

The base recipe is fine. But maybe you add in a few nightmare fuel and he gets shadow gloves, and these deal 100 damage per hit. Or for something a bit lesser but still more than his original 59.5 you can add some gold/marble and/or Flint for a metallic glove which deals 80 damage.

The 90% damage reduction is much better than a football helmet, the durability is endless and the extra 10% does add up, though with slow movement speed you're forced to tank, which is awkward as you can not heal on your own.. you come out of the forms typically fully insane and starving. I don't think it would be outlandish to give woodie a little love. 

Woodie should be a 200hp character.

The weregoose form should have complete Wetness immunity.

The weremoose and beaver forms should have more insulation in winter, at minimum that of a beefalo hat.

The weremoose could regenerate even 1hp per second to aid in their tanking ability. 

The whole idea with being able to equip weapons is to avoid having the same amount of damage all the time. Even if you increased it to something like 70, it's still gonna fall off as early as you get a dark sword or glass cutter, since those weapons do more DPS than that. If you increased it to something that surpasses that, that would be too overpowered, since the idol + some healing items would be the only things you make for combat.

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but the whole point of his forms is that arent human enough to use tools

If so, then that's big flaw with weremoose that I feel like there should be an exception for. As BonesJr said, gloves could be made instead of weapons, so that may fit more with what's trying to be done with the transformations.

Archived