Tab Targeting Or Something? Maybe?

I might be missing something important, but I'm having trouble understanding how people playing with a Controller are meant to make any use out of ranged weapons/items in the game. 

Let's say I equip a Blowdart or a Fire Staff and try to hit a Bird that's landed on the ground nearby. As far as I can tell, I can't, I'm just locked out of those game mechanics. Some of the most interesting, "higher level" and expensive items are, for the most part, useless for Controller Users.

I can't even figure out how to place a boat in water when using a controller. As far as I can tell, Controller Users are just locked out of all Ocean content and that content was released mad long ago, I thought there would be some update eventually.

I've searched for a Mod that implements some type of Targeting System that could help Controller Users, but I've found nothing. I hoped with DST Console releases, there would be some significant Controller Updates, but that doesn't seem to be happening. 

As much as I play DST and favor it over all other games available, sometimes I have the thought "This game is 90% Bugs and 10% Video Game, or it's just a giant Bug that happens to play like a Video Game somehow" Sorry if that's harsh and ridiculous.

Anyway, is a Tab Targeting System a bad idea? Like how most MMO Game Targeting works, you press a button and an Icon appears above the nearest target, showing that's your current Target, pressing the button again selects the next nearest Target. Long Pressing the button can Deselect Target, leaving the player with no specific locked-on Target. Or is there already some way to utilize Ranged Weapons and Boats with a Controller that I'm ignorant about?

I play on ps4 and there is placement indicators when playing certain ranged targeting weapons, like lazy explorer or star caller staff etc. When placing a Boat it is no different than placing a Science Machine, just need the space on water. And there is "tab target" and lock on. It's "R3" on the controller. It even shuffles through targets with multiple presses. Press "o" to cancel lock on.

It sounds like you're playing pc and perhaps a mod or setting you have enabled is breaking the default controller settings. Not sure how controller works on PC but I would imagine it would have to be the same as on console. Though I will say Keyboard and Mouse for this game is vastly superior. Combat item switching is incredibly more difficult on controllers.

Sure, when I equip a Star Caller or Lazy Explorer a little circle appears on the floor showing where the item will summon a star or teleport your character to, but that doesn't come up with I try to place a boat, the game only lets me place a boat where I'm standing and I can't stand on the water. 

As for hitting Birds with a Blowdart, I don't know how you manage that on PS4, but it sounds like you're saying you can, so that's good, at least on PS4. 

I'm using many Mods, however as far I I know, none that would prevent me from placing a Boat Kit on the Ocean or hitting a nearby Bird with a Blowdart or Firestaff. Here's a Screenshot of placing a Boat Kit on the Ocean with a XBox Controller on PC...

20220507130758_1.jpg

I was wondering if it centered perfectly on you, and it does. Which is not supposed to be the case. Do you have controller input enabled from the settings? I'm not sure if the steam settings itself has an option for this particular game. But in other games i had to switch it there too. So try those two things and see if anything changes.

Another thing you can try and compare is disabling every mod and trying to place the boat and see if it is a mod issue or just a settings issue. Because this shouldn't be the case. I suspect your computer is placing your mouse cursor directly ontop of you. Hence the boat positioning, and not being able to use range for birds etc. 

2 hours ago, goodguythatguy said:

Have you placed a Boat Kit on the Ocean while using a XBox Controller on PC?

I use keyboard and mouse on PC.

I play this game on ps4 mostly though. I kind of kind the console part of the community better to be honest lol. 

The game is vastly different while playing with a keyboard and mouse. You technically get an extra inventory slot. You get more control during combat when swapping equipment making most boss fights much easier to solo, which is more noticeable on more heavy boss mechanics like ancient fuel weaver.

I'll try hooking up a ps4 controller on my PC and attempt to place a Boat just for you, but honestly if you can use a keyboard I'd really just recommend doing that. It's truly superior and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk about it I promise buddy my intentions are pure here.

4 hours ago, BonesJrOfficial said:

I use keyboard and mouse on PC.

I play this game on ps4 mostly though. I kind of kind the console part of the community better to be honest lol. 

The game is vastly different while playing with a keyboard and mouse. You technically get an extra inventory slot. You get more control during combat when swapping equipment making most boss fights much easier to solo, which is more noticeable on more heavy boss mechanics like ancient fuel weaver.

I'll try hooking up a ps4 controller on my PC and attempt to place a Boat just for you, but honestly if you can use a keyboard I'd really just recommend doing that. It's truly superior and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk about it I promise buddy my intentions are pure here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I want you to try it, or attempt to play with a Controller on PC. I was just asking if you had placed a Boat Kit on the Ocean while using a Controller on PC. You haven't, however you were making suggestions concerning what might help me place a Boat Kit on the Ocean using a Controller on PC.

I never said I don't know how the game plays with a Mouse and Keyboard, I have a Mouse and Keyboard, I've played with a Mouse and Keyboard.

Thanks for recommending playing the game with a Mouse and Keyboard on my Forum Post suggesting/requesting improvements to the Controller mechanics. It's like going to a restaurant, asking your waiter for Pepper and they recommend Salt.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:51 AM, goodguythatguy said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I want you to try it, or attempt to play with a Controller on PC. I was just asking if you had placed a Boat Kit on the Ocean while using a Controller on PC. You haven't, however you were making suggestions concerning what might help me place a Boat Kit on the Ocean using a Controller on PC.

I never said I don't know how the game plays with a Mouse and Keyboard, I have a Mouse and Keyboard, I've played with a Mouse and Keyboard.

Thanks for recommending playing the game with a Mouse and Keyboard on my Forum Post suggesting/requesting improvements to the Controller mechanics. It's like going to a restaurant, asking your waiter for Pepper and they recommend Salt.

I told you, controller on console is nothing like the experience you're having, and I told you keyboard on computer is nothing like the experience you're having. I figured something had to be abnormal. 

I genuinely did not believe the issue you were experiencing was common, which is why i replied despite not personally playing PC with a controller. I thought it was a bug on your end, and after talking to my PC friends and my DST community (hence the delay in response) I can proudly come to you and inform you with confidence, this isn't normal and is a bug on your end. It is your mods or settings.

I didn't think me trying to help you would yield such a sour response. I'm the only one who has even attempted to reply and sort this out. I assure you I wont be back since this is resolved as far as I care to see this out now. 

Spoiler

I repeat, i am not sure if its from mods, or if it is from unique settings you have either on the client, on steam,  or on your computers drivers themselves. I do have friends who insist on playing every pc game with a controller, and they have played DST a lot - and I'm a part of a large DST community, and multiple people confirmed placing a Boat and ranged combat functions as intended and not like the screenshot you provided. Thus this post isn't actually any suggesting any improvements. Everything you suggested already exists. There is just some technological error on your side.

Spoiler

Also it was actually a lot more like going to a wine tasting, where it is paired with the perfect cheese, but you brought your own meat, and there is nothing wrong with bringing your own meat but this wine tasting specifically was for cheeses, so if you dont like cheese (keyboard) you can still have your meat (controller). Something might be a bit odd do to the meat being a secondary choice. I didn't mean to sound rude suggesting you just use the superior control scheme on the platform that allows it.

4 hours ago, BonesJrOfficial said:

I told you, controller on console is nothing like the experience you're having, and I told you keyboard on computer is nothing like the experience you're having. I figured something had to be abnormal. 

I genuinely did not believe the issue you were experiencing was common, which is why i replied despite not personally playing PC with a controller. I thought it was a bug on your end, and after talking to my PC friends and my DST community (hence the delay in response) I can proudly come to you and inform you with confidence, this isn't normal and is a bug on your end. It is your mods or settings.

I didn't think me trying to help you would yield such a sour response. I'm the only one who has even attempted to reply and sort this out. I assure you I want be back since this is resolved as far as I care to see this out now. 

Reveal hidden contents

I repeat, i am not sure if its from mods, or if it is from unique settings you have either on the client, on steam,  or on your computers drivers themselves. I do have friends who insist on playing every pc game with a controller, and they have played DST a lot - and I'm a part of a large DST community, and multiple people confirmed placing a Boat and ranged combat functions as intended and not like the screenshot you provided. Thus this post isn't actually any suggesting any improvements. Everything you suggested already exists. There is just some technological error on your side.

Reveal hidden contents

Also it was actually a lot more like going to a wine tasting, where it is paired with the perfect cheese, but you brought your own meat, and there is nothing wrong with bringing your own meat but this wine tasting specifically was for cheeses, so if you dont like cheese (keyboard) you can still have your meat (controller). Something might be a bit odd do to the meat being a secondary choice. I didn't mean to sound rude suggesting you just use the superior control scheme on the platform that allows it.

Sorry, what's a sour response exactly?

Thanks for replying to help me sort this out, I recognize that you didn't have to do that and you went out of your way to help me out .Your recommendation to play with a Mouse and Keyboard instead of a Controller has helped me a lot. 

Yeah, it's definitely a bug on my end, Mods or my Settings. Totally. Please never try to help me again, thanks. 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, BonesJrOfficial said:

Update: so I can't link my controller up. Using a ps4 controller on PC usually doesn't work super well, it does the job mostly usually. But this was TERRIBLE. So sorry I'm no help lol.

It sounds like you need help.

This is caused by the Geometric Placement mod. You can either hold the Ctrl key to temporarily disable geometric placement, which will use the game's standard placer behavior of placing things in front of you (and in this case, off the shore), or toggle the "Controller Offset" setting in Geometric Placement on, which will use the same default placer behavior (at an offset from your character, instead of just right below you) but still use the precise grid-based placement.

1 hour ago, Faintly Macabre said:

This is caused by the Geometric Placement mod. You can either hold the Ctrl key to temporarily disable geometric placement, which will use the game's standard placer behavior of placing things in front of you (and in this case, off the shore), or toggle the "Controller Offset" setting in Geometric Placement on, which will use the same default placer behavior (at an offset from your character, instead of just right below you) but still use the precise grid-based placement.

That's exactly what I was ignorant about, the Geo Placement Mod. Thanks.

Now I just gotta figure out how to hit a nearby Bird with a Blowdart or a Fire Staff when using a Controller on PC.

Archived