[New Structure] Ocean Fish Farm

The problem this post tries to solve is that fish a particular kind is hard to find in quantity, especially Ice Bream and Scorching Sunfish, which require substantial effort and timing to get, or big size fish to make surf n turf (other than wobster).

(Pic in spoiler)

Ocean Fish Farm will behave like the Merm King, but built in ocean water instead of on land. Its fish multiplying effect can last as long as it's well fed. But without feeding or manual caring, all the fish in the farm will eventually escape the farm, including the first fish added in the farm as the seed. 

How to start a fish farm? At least one fish of a certain kind is needed as the seed. One farm can only host a single kind of fish. Effort to get the first fish still needs to be made. But subsequent fish will be easier thru farms.

The farm is not a storage facility. If one decides to end farming in the Ocean Fish Farm, the fish in the farm has to be manually fished out (via ocean fishing rod) and transferred to Tin Fishin' Bin for long-term storage in order to avoid losing all fish in the farm. (Fish will escape and leave the farm for elsewhere to search for food if the farm doesn't have enough food for them.)

How to feed the farm? Simply toss some meat or berry on it, and it will trigger the regular animation of fish jumping out of water and eating. This food will increase farm's hunger value. Fish in the farm will increase at certain speed when farm's hunger value is above 0, and will decrease when hunger is hit 0. The max amount of fish in a farm is 4? 5? Farms hunger can be indicated by how far fish are from the shore. The farther, the hungrier,

The crafting recipe is 8 silk, 4 ropes and 16 log. 2 Logs inserted on shore to keep the farm in place. Other logs floating on water with silk and rope attached them to form a round confinement.

The structure has part on shore as shown in spoiler. The stone wall (made of logs) represents the part that keeps the structure in place. Hammering the stone wall part of the structure will destroy the farm, silk and rope will spread on water some logs, while 1 log will be dropped on land. (Should the farm also be destroyed by heavy collision of a fast moving boat? Or should it have no collision size like lighting rods and chests and allow boats to travel thru them?)

Spoiler

278086220_341580044621392_570584412773657677_n.thumb.png.f03d72b02387bd39f08b01c1ab076239.png

The fish farm will prevent new fish schools from spawning nearby. The fish in it will not respond the floats landed outside its confinement. Fish will only respond to floats that are thrown inside it.

i like the idea of a fish farm, similar to the ponds in stardew valley, it might be too op, maybe add the shipwrecked mechanic with a shark attacking a full farm, or having to feed them fish food, which sells pearl and that she sells the blueprint to make it

13 minutes ago, franco116 said:

i like the idea of a fish farm, similar to the ponds in stardew valley, it might be too op, maybe add the shipwrecked mechanic with a shark attacking a full farm, or having to feed them fish food, which sells pearl and that she sells the blueprint to make it

I like the idea of "fish food". But I think we should still keep the option of regular meat as food for fish, just make fish food much more effective than meat as an incentive.

I also like the idea of shark, but shark cannot spawn in small rivers, and they are too powerful if unprepared. Extended from your idea, how about Skittersquid? They are currently quite useless to interact with. But if they attack fish farm, that would be a reason to kill them. Currently they usually show up new moon? So make it more likely for them to appear when it's close to new moon, and less likely towards full moon.

Btw, why do you think it's too powerful?

7 minutes ago, goatt said:

I like the idea of "fish food". But I think we should still keep the option of regular meat as food for fish, just make fish food much more effective than meat as an incentive.

also depending on the preference of the fish is its food, similar to the farms after RWYS, with more effort better rewards are obtained

2 hours ago, franco116 said:

I immediately thought of stardew as well, although those are -put a fish in and forget- and this is more like a bird cage that requires a minor degree of attention and care. 

I'm all for making some sort of fish farm build though. We can make other animal pens, and Bee Boxes and such. We can always use more things :)

Archived