WX rework: making upgrades more appealing

Current state of the rework
As things are now, the WX rework is great but flawed: it feels like some modules are too good, to the point where picking something else feels like a waste.
Stat modules in particular are lagging behind: I often heard multiple people say "why would you want health over speed?", "why picking sanity when you could have permanent moggles?", or even "Why have more hunger when ignoring winter freezing is an option?".
These arguments are valid, and it is sad to see everyone pick the same options over and over while ignoring the others.

How can this be improved?
Lowering WX's base stats would make player choices more significant without touching the already good modules.
I would propose a 100-100-100 spread, the same as its single player counterpart.
This achieves two things:

1) Maintains the idea of a late-game oriented character
Just like its pre-rework and single player counterpart, WX would start weaker but ultimately become stronger than average thanks to its upgrades.
It also adds more depth to the earlier stages of the game: you could focus on gathering resources but have to deal with lower stats, you could try to find rare mobs to get access to better stats immediately, or you could try and balance the two.

2) Promotes customization and encourages different playstyles
Choosing to focus on stats would net a spread of 250-175-175 with lower hunger drain and slight sanity regeneration as a bonus, which is significantly better than other survivors at the cost of missing out on utility.
Alternatively, one could focus for utility and install night vision, speed, or temperature upgrades: this would net a very flexible WX-78, at the cost of having to manage lower stats.
Of course, there's the option of balancing the two aspects which would be yet another way to play the character.

Why not just nerf the good modules?
Because they aren't overpowered.
As things are now, the main issue is that WX's stats are already good enough: this makes upgrading them unnecessary, especially when given the alternative of powerful game changing upgrades like extra speed or permanent night vision.

Then why not buff the other modules instead?
Just like above: because those modules aren't bad.
WX's current baseline stats are already good enough, so there is no need to raise them: as a consequence, raising their numbers wouldn't make them more appealing.

2 minutes ago, nightdweller said:

Just like its pre-rework and single player counterpart, WX would start weaker but ultimately become stronger than average thanks to its upgrades.

Currently with his unnerfed stats he isn't stronger than average. 

3 minutes ago, nightdweller said:

Choosing to focus on stats would net a spread of 250-175-175 with lower hunger drain and slight sanity regeneration as a bonus, which is significantly better than other survivors at the cost of missing out on utility.

That is significantly more worthless than other survivors. Why would someone choose to have slightly higher stats and that's about it when they could instead have slightly higher stats and something like 2x damage & 1.5x work speed, or a bunch of followers, or very cheap healing and teleporting?

7 minutes ago, nightdweller said:

Just like above: because those modules aren't bad.

Yes they are. The difference between 150 and 151 health is 1000x more than the difference between 151 and 600 health. Max health with no damage resistance above 151 is nearly pointless since you still take the same amount of armor and healing so the amount of situations it actually does something is very rare.

Max sanity isn't even strictly a good thing.

Max hunger is only really useful as long as it's as big as the dish you're going to eat, which 150 already is. If you're for some reason super starving it can give you a little more time to find food, but food isn't hard to find and his spoilage perk which he innately has is already a lot more useful for food related things than a bigger stomach ever would be.

Those upgrades are bad, and even if I had 100 of each stat I wouldn't pick them. 100 hunger means I won't eat meaty stews. 100 health means very little since that's over 75 which is where some things can surprise oneshot you and it has a decent amount of breathing room. 100 sanity would make managing sanity easier in most situations and for the few places it might be an issue I would already have sanity food so there's nearly no difference, I just need to eat the same amount with less time in between eatings.

For those circuits to be good they need to actually do something useful other than raise stats. The sanity one has the right idea since it gives a little regen. If the health one gave some innate DR like Wigfrid it might be able to do something useful, but unless it was something like 10% per circuit I personally still wouldn't pick them over other options.

33 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I just think that it would be a nice return to form making wx weak but then upgradable into strong. But only if we actually get some more slots out of it. With 100 across the board i think 9 slots would be reasonable. Then you could have max speed upgrade one stat and a minor increase to health (175 is plenty for you to eat meaty stew and enjoy a slight hunger reduction) or have a heat mod in, or any number of combinations if you actually just slot one or two speed mods in instead of three lmao. (10% just isnt that much idk why people are obsessed with the triple speed slots) 

the idea of being weak and becoming stronger over time is just always a good feeling for a character to give you, and i think wx lost that a little bit with his rework

Archived