So my last colony, which I've now gotten a victory condition, I was seeing a very disturbing behavior/lag effect.  I had quite a few critters, beetas, fish, shove voles, grubgrub, hatches, pretty much all of the critters.

While the general laggy nature of a 1500 cycle colony is to be expected, and I don't really find it too terrible, this one thing I saw is really bad:  Critters not responding to 'come here for grooming' when dupes try to groom them.  I could literally stare at a dupe whistling away while critter ignore them for half a cycle, then finally one comes and gets groomed.  Very inefficient, dupe is tied up the whole time, literally half a cycle or longer, trying to groom one critter.

This level of extreme critter lag has other effects on the game too, impacting critter behaviors mostly.  Like critters getting wrangled taking half a cycle (or longer) to 'fall to the floor' so they can be picked up.  Critters not falling from having doors closed on them, again, for half a cycle, or longer.  Yet, critters happily bounce along in their ranches fairly normally.  It's quite strange.

Anyone else seen this?  Any way I can mitigate that?

Critters AI gets throttled when you have low performance, to a point where Pufts will often starve because they don't have enough brain cycles to actually eat.

The way to mitigate it is to improve performance. There are quite a few tips around to do that, and there is also this beta mod, if you are brave enough:

8 hours ago, Chetar Ruby said:

While the general laggy nature of a 1500 cycle colony is to be expected, and I don't really find it too terrible, this one thing I saw is really bad:  Critters not responding to 'come here for grooming' when dupes try to groom them.  I could literally stare at a dupe whistling away while critter ignore them for half a cycle, then finally one comes and gets groomed.  Very inefficient, dupe is tied up the whole time, literally half a cycle or longer, trying to groom one critter.

I've seen this behavior as well, specifically with Pufts. It seems to go away when you save and reload. It might not be due to lag, might be the Puft AI getting into an invalid state.

The ranching skill increase mod makes it so that duplicants increase in their ability to groom critters, and thus the groom effect lasts longer on critters and such bugs shouldn't appear as often.

I've definitely seen the "critter not falling all that fast" effect much earlier even on one speed, and other effects like shove vole submerging underneath rocks after getting wrangled.  It's not terribly common that the critter won't fall like normal, but it happens sometimes.  Playing on lower speeds is another way to mitigate such situations, since the calculations will more likely get done in time.  From what I've read, duplicants end up more efficient on lower speeds since more calculations get completed before time changes, I think.

There's also some bug where I've dug the tile below where a hatch has burrowed or is in and it will teleport a few tiles away, or (so far as I can tell) has vanished from the game (it's likely just teleported a few tiles away, but I don't know how to predict where, so, I'm not sure).  It's rather rare and has something to do with building I think, but I'm not sure, and definitely couldn't reproduce that bug.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:24 PM, Fradow said:

This mod deserves more attention. It's an amazing work.

I've tested myself and it does improve performance quite a lot. Still crashes from time to time, so it's still a work in progress...

I have wanted to write a mod that handles starvation farms better. If a bunch of critters have no path finding (there’s no path they can take), they should be stacked. Egg drops and critter age can still be calculated within the stack. I barely have time to play right now though so not happening.  

I don’t know if that’s part of this beta or if it would provide a material benefit, but I think it probably would. 

On 4/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, smcjones said:

If a bunch of critters have no path finding (there’s no path they can take), they should be stacked. Egg drops and critter age can still be calculated within the stack.

This was my idea also. The game really encourages having hordes of starving critters as free food sources. Pathfinding and heat transfer would be based on the groups average temperature, and it may not be even worth it to track individual body temps. Births and deaths are per-critter, as is trapping and killing (takes one critter at random). But those are slow so can be updated only once every few dozen seconds.

Terms: hatch tranches, shine stars, pip estates, dreko lounges, pokeshell casts, puft clouds, pacu schools, slickster films, vole drillpacks, moo skyheards, morb mashes, slug cornucopias, beetle tenders, betta swarms. Better terms welcome.

Archived