Insanity Nightmare Creatures and Beyond

Currently on land we have our 2 infamous nightmares. The Crawler and the Beak. Defeating these typically will restore your sanity to a level just barely enough to pacify the shadowy assailants. 

Most players would agree being insane during general tasks isn't a big deal, and more experienced players can even handle insanity during boss fights and other inconvenient times...

My suggestion is to shake up the formula a bit. Being insane should never feel comfortable. 

Maybe after slaying X amount of nightmare creatures in X amount of time (sort of like naughtiness and krampus) (also maybe not including nightmares spawned from ruin lights or fissures, but also maybe yes include them) the nightmares on your screen will merge into a mini-boss, like on the same scale as a tree guardian or spider queen.

Or remaining insane does more than change rabbits and make hands chase campfires. I'd like to see other entities change too. Maybe Spiders get even more creepy. Or beloved grass geckos turn dark. So much of the constant has potential to be warped by your mind.

Perhaps doing normal tasks while insane can yield spooky results. The Hallowed nights event spawning bats and such is a great branch for the mechanic, but I'd love to see even something like an increased chance of tree guardian spawns or something. 

Just basically some general ideas to shake up the old familiar and comfy feeling of being insane and just being okay with it / ignoring the mechanic with experience.

Archived