Playing checkers with magma. Or how to suffer with liquid colors in a productive manner.

Hi!

It's been a while since I've posted something that may or may not prove entertaining/useful.

Today I bring the Density Multilayer Displacement via Gold Lead checkerboard pattern technique. Or playing DMD with magma.

I've known of this for a while and haven't seen this posted anywhere else so here you go. (AKA I'm almost done with the magma core on this playthrough and there won't be too much of a loss if patched out... Yes, I was selfish for a while :D )

What's this all about?

It's just a way to get magma where you want it without building an annoyingly absurd amount of insulating tile, but automation wires. This will preserve a lot of heat. (An insulated tile is worth a lot more than just the 5kg of refined metal from 1 automation wire.)

What is needed?

Sufficient gold and lead. Atmo suits! Medbay "optional".

Why is this working?

The densities for both liquid metals are identical so they don't displace each other vertically. This allows for stacking and alternating.

What should it look like?

It's a checkerboard pattern of an ugly-uniform-colored nature in liquids view. I showcased it some time ago in the post in the spoiler, no one noticed the moire, muahaha!

Spoiler

How to build it?

Build automation wires inside magma. Just alternate between gold and lead material (horizontally). Magma will be displaced! If you need it to go higher then add another row on top, bear in mind that the alternating order of metals shall be respected... Cancel the build after the liquid metal is formed. Much micromanaging will be needed.

If the magma pressure is high enough then even natural obsidian tiles go snap-crackle-pop... You know the drill.

What does it look like in survival?

It's pretty much a wall of liquids but here you go:

718907368_Checkerboarddisplacement.thumb.png.cf50643388b69d5c6a84f749543f6be6.png

And here's a bigger shot at the same area:

1099386394_Checkerboarddisplacementbig.thumb.png.8bfbd43bfb4cccef9b504da97d7e2020.png

Once you're done with an area all it takes is some regular mopping. Lead plays nice with the bottle emptier but gold tends to "clog"/entomb it.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Archived