[GUIDE] Reskinning Creatures

l0rdgumby

I made a guide on Steam on how to reskin mobs in 2019 from making to publishing the mod. Back when I made it, I had just learned about how to do it by searching through the few mods that actually did it among other various resources. There wasn't as many mods as I'd like that reskinned mobs and I couldn't find a guide that explained the ins and outs of this process for somebody that did not know much of anything regarding modding this game. I've seen many people utilize the comments there and have even seen people reference it on the forums.

I've decided to look back at what I've written and do some extensive rewriting and port it to the forums, so I hope I've properly documented the process this time. My goal is to make sure this is easily understandable without any prior knowledge, so please let me know if there is anything I can do to improve this guide.

Don't Starve Together Reskinning Creatures Guide - YouTube Please check out this YouTube video I made that walks you through the process!

Introduction

Spoiler

The purpose of this guide is going to be to help you create a reskinning / retexturing mod for creatures in the game. While you can technically use this guide to reskin much more than creatures, such as items or structures, I’m going to focus on creatures. My goal is to make anyone be able to reskin with ease so if you feel confused by some parts in the guide, feel free to use the comments to let me know.

Disclaimers
Before we jump into the methods and tools you can utilize, first I’m going to give some disclaimers that are good to know.

Remember Klei makes skins
Klei makes money off of the official skins they sell. The reason why this guide focused on reskinning creatures was because the Clean Sweeper wasn’t yet invented when it was first written. That being said, if you are planning on making a public mod try to make a reskin based on something Klei would not realistically lose money on. 

You can’t reskin official characters
If you want to reskin characters such as Wilson or Willow, you can’t change their textures. This is against Klei’s ToS (meaning it’s illegal) and on top of that the methods used by this guide do not work for them anyways.

I am not good at coding
My understanding of the game’s code is limited. There may be some creatures that are implemented a bit differently in the game that I may not know how to fix if you ask me any questions. Fortunately, a good amount of reskins are covered by the several methods I’ve included. My general rule of thumb is first trying to make a rough draft of your reskin and make sure it shows up correctly in game if you plan on drawing new textures.

File Types

Spoiler

The tools and methods used are going to revolve around a few specific file types. These files are located in Steam > steamapps > common > Don’t Starve Together > data > anim within the zip files. You’ll mostly find the atlas.tex and build.bin together (ex. spider_build.zip) and will see the anim.bin by itself 

atlas.tex
Usually coming in the form of atlas-#.tex (atlas-0, atlas-1, etc.), these files act as the sprite sheets. Here’s a picture of the spider’s atlas-0.tex.
spider_mod.thumb.png.c889c9e44945bf20d54b61ae2d4a0ac8.png

build.bin
This file, as depicted in the image below, sets up the borders on the atlas and labels what each individual symbol is. Just a warning though, the ACTUAL borders are much tighter than the image represents. If you draw something outside of these borders without setting up a new build, it will get cut off.

mod_spider.png.903a1e47c00f2a8140442bb5dfa323f4.png
anim.bin
You remember how the build labels individual symbols on the atlas like the mouth or the head? The anim.bin says where those individual symbols move! (ex. moving the legs)

.dyn
This is not a file type we are going to go over, but you may come across it when trying to find the main 3 files. Dyn files are encrypted versions of atlases and can’t be opened. These files exist to prevent people from illegally modding in paid characters or skins for free and are unusable. SOMETIMES you can change the file extension to .zip and it will have the atlas.tex files you need. If it's a dlc character or skin, this will likely not work.

Now that you know what the 3 main file types are, let’s see if you understand. If we take the spider from before but replace the atlas with Wilson’s atlas, what will happen? It will help if you understand what will happen, so try to think this through first before opening the spoiler below for the answer.

Spoiler

bilson.gif.3127b1fbba34ae4b8f2f276da7f51c71.gif
We get this little monstrosity. You can clearly see the animation for the spider is there since the anim.bin did not change. The shape for the head and legs did not change either since the build.bin did not change. The only thing we changed was the atlas-0.tex, it would look something like the image below. It is not a perfect match for the gif above, but it gives a good idea what happens. 
brison.png.aa2fe5204463e0eb0322c417da576d8b.png
Also remember how I was talking about how the actual borders in the build.bin are much tighter than the image I posted for it? If you look at the spider gif closely, you can see how it doesn't cut out a full rectangle for the spider head. Instead, it does something like the image below. Keep this in mind when doing method 1!
image.png.cf30feb93b15f481fd53293f1832f2a2.png

Tools Overview

Spoiler

While you won’t be needing every tool for every method, I’m going to give a brief overview of what they do and where to download them. When I get to methods, I’m going to write down what tools you do need later so don't download them until you know what method you're doing. Also, just a reminder if you’re downloading files from the Klei forums, such as TexTools and BuildRenamer, you need to log into your Klei account on the website.

TexTools and BuildRenamer
(Alternative link - https://github.com/HandsomeMatt/dont-starve-tools)

TexTools provides a way to convert from Klei's .tex (.tex files are basically just image files that can’t be read unless you use TexTools) to .png or the other way around. 
Inside TexTools are TexTools(.tex -> .png) and TexCreator(.png -> .tex).

BuildRenamer internally changes the name of the "build" in the build.bin. This is NOT the same as changing the name of build.bin file name and requires the use of this program if you are not using the Spriter method.

Don't Starve Mod Tools
Steam Library > Tools > Install Don't Starve Mod Tools

This tool is required to publish mods to the workshop. Also, it contains an autocompiler that allows you to convert Spriter files into usable game ones.

Spriter
It’s an animation program that uses folders containing symbols found within the sprite sheet to animate them. You can reskin within those folders and view your creation in Spriter (by using .scml files) before putting it in the game to make sure it works. However, the link I provide only allows downloads if you are on Windows or Linux. Don’t Starve Mod Tools technically has Spriter installed in it already if you noticed, but it’s outdated so it’s recommended you download it from the link I’m providing if you're able.

KTools
(Alternative link - https://github.com/nsimplex/ktools)

This allows you to turn the files anim.bin, atlas-0.tex, and build.bin into viewable Spriter files.

Methods Overview

Spoiler

Here the methods for reskinning will be discussed. I’ve divided this section into reskinning methods and implementation methods. You just have to worry about reskinning methods right now, but implementation (how you will make the game recognize your reskins) is something you should keep in the back of your mind. You eventually need to pick one of each for a reskinning method and an implementation method. 

Reskinning Method 1: Spriterless

The rough summary of this method is that you will be drawing/photoshopping on the original sprite sheet. It’s easier, however you’re still limited to the original build (meaning you can’t go draw outside the lines). This method is mostly good for minor edits or first time mods.

Very large mobs with lots of symbols, such as all of the non-mini bosses in the game, will break if you use method 2 unless you lower the quality. Method 1 has a niche advantage where you can try to work on the actual sprite sheet to ensure higher quality, but it’s still hard to work with. 

Tools used:
DS Mod Tools
TexTools
BuildRenamer* (Optional depending on which implementation method you use)

Reskinning Method 2: Spriter
This method allows you to create a new build.bin for what you want to reskin by utilizing more programs. Beyond this, editing sprites is done in symbols (such as individual limbs). While that means it’s going to be more complex, you ultimately get more freedom since you get to make individual symbols larger than the original due to making a new build.

Using Spriter allows you to view your reskins in an animation program, gives individual symbols in folders for you to edit, allows you to edit beyond the borders of the original, and more. The drawbacks are that setting this up is more complex and also relies on the game’s autocompiler to turn what you made back into usable game files. The game’s autocompiler is notably crummy at times. Also, major bosses, such as deerclops, will pump out multiple atlases (we can’t use them that well) meaning you need to lower the quality or use method 1. If you end up doing this, this tutorial on lowering the quality of assets should help.

James Bucket made a video on how to extract animations from the game’s files. While we don’t necessarily need to do that, the video explains the 3 main file types, how to download several tools we do need, and how to turn those files into Spriter files. I even helped provide some information to him needed to make the video, so I recommend watching it if you decide to use this method.

Tools used:
DS Mod Tools
Spriter
KTools

Implementation Method 1: Without Code
You are going to copy the zip file of the creature's assets and replace the atlas-0.tex with your own. While this is incredibly easy, it’s ultimately not the best modding practice. Also, there are cases in which the game has code that will interfere this method. An example I personally experienced was when the deerclops reskin I created had the head specifically turn into the default one.

Why would you use this method besides the fact it’s easy and good for starting? Since the Webber update, spiders have a new “tamed” look on their faces that override method 2 and I believe method 1 was the only way to fix it. I’m still not sure if it has any specific advantages over method 2, but this method is mostly for beginning or as a last resort if method 2 doesn’t work for some reason

Implementation Method 2: With Code
This method entails copy pasting some code to put your reskin files into the game. It's a bit more complex since it has extra steps and may confuse some people from what they need to actually put in. This is overall the best method for reskinning in terms of working consistently and mod compatibility for the most part. The only reasons why you wouldn't choose this one is if you find implementation method 2 isn't working or just want to practice doing method 1 first until you understand more from my experiences.

Finding the Files

Spoiler

Alright, we’re done with the background material and can start messing with some files. First, go to your Don't Starve Together folder. Go to the folder titled "data" and then "anim" in your Don't Starve Together folder. Here you will see many files that list the names of every entity with an animation. You will also sometimes see two zip files. One of them will have the name build in it. If you go into the build you see two files: atlas-0.tex + build.bin

I'm going to use MacTusk as an example for the rest of the tutorial for what we will reskin. While the name in the files is walrus, some creatures have strange names that you might need to look it up or ask somebody (splumonkeys are called kiki for example). You will need to copy the build and any form of a basic zip. (Any file besides build that has anim.bins in it will do since we just need any animation file to make Spriter work, doesn’t matter which one)
kuYctbDI4r6mzb7Kox5tb7P4b7bpHvqKzhwFVEBO-zz_9yGKdPgzcDCbbyZ3O-_RItaQYbXoyI8rNhbhks745RYBhzejgfumHatkM4MBJ0LvxBhD0ws2t-FO6Z0Dfsv4wU38H9Vl

(For example: walrus_basic and walrus_build for walrus and for spider ds_spider_basic and spider_build)

walrus_build has atlas-0.tex and build.bin

walrus_basic has anim.bin

Reskinning Method 1: Spriterless

Spoiler

Now that you know what you want to change, grab that .png you converted from the atlas-0.tex earlier.

uMn46CFZmmpb0Y6JrPw-VUPrKaJMp0xATPH7Hu3YvWIcd5Nd-QTPlSSuR11__gJxlWlVRPgTUE4rnYoGwTwiWA8UqZkgnx_YWh-DhyMNlMgMZqK4OV_--F5Ou7Iq2HTEHFo8vwkS
(Open up the atlas-0.tex with TexTools and save it as a .png image to your desktop or any convenient location) Open up the .png image with your favorite image editing program (I used GIMP) and get to work! Make sure that the image stays transparent when you save it and that you stay within the lines. Since this is your first, don't put that much effort in yet!  If it isn’t a hassle, make a sketch first to make sure it actually appears in the game. I'm going to just cut and paste the face of an actual walrus onto MacTusk for my little test.K6eNx8IFGBDMJn2R9Xh0MLMMKupDX5inEgQCCv1k9ki0i0hoSEvLl-JZQ7uEsRodhVpNz5LiQmyce1_hx9iiVzxbRKeYetVLxNIA4Unt1aMYmQbk3e57gZkW4qngVjXBub4KUczo

This entire image is every body part for MacTusk and is animated in the game. This is why you don't need any animation skills!

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THIS AS A TRANSPARENT PNG IMAGE!

Converting to an atlas-0.tex file:

Just to recap, the tex file is essentially an image file. So far, you should have:

• found the atlas-0.tex file for the creature you want to reskin
  • opened the atlas-0.tex file with the TexTool application and saved it as a png
  • open up the .png with your favorite image editing program and reskinned it
  • saved the image as a transparent .png image

Go in your TexTools folder and next to TexTool should be TexCreator. TexCreator converts a .png to a .tex file. Add your modified png file and set the destination of where the new .tex file will go. Here, I am going to choose my own Desktop. Hit the convert button and it should say it compressed the image file. Rename this new .tex file to atlas-0.tex

6AiDXKXdPOWjzb30agvogPdUVrzkVLOg7AIQxgti7CpN9krCVO9zvEny7mOwpXRe0DY8xej6gJp3EmVCV5AZpi01ZVgddHzjXLRNPZLm_pH_AdpGN8YWrfR-PqWhEIBKlNiKmCe5

Copy the original zip files of the creature you're reskinning and put them on your desktop for later use. However, replace the atlas-0.tex with your own that you just made. Alrighty! Now you can jump to the Making the Mod section of the guide.

Reskinning Method 2: Spriter

Spoiler

The main difference between the two methods is how you make the reskin. Method 1 is you manually editing the original "sprite sheet" (the atlas-0.tex) and overriding it with your mod Method 2 overrides the original with a newly generated atlas. This allows you to increase the size of the body parts you wish to reskin. 

Creating a Spriter file using Ktools:
In the KTools folder, drag and drop the files mentioned beforehand. If there are multiple anim.bin files associated with your creature, pick the one you want to see the animations for. When working on reskinning your creature and you want to view it, quickly convert it to a .tex file with TexTools and see how it looks in Spriter.
x79faXG2qQJRJRW3w6OaorGnYd9tbmNpYuIXdnL_D2j_lfIzUhkmTiRMEWoGLqc2F5nLJzReob7fsEghs5PIW3jYf3ANuoYFY5JBMuLPKnGxWeCPBBJNBIE230dE_SwZqmqj0_dr

Now that you have your anim, build, and atlas in the ktools folder you can now convert it. You are going to need to copy and paste the location for the following IN ORDER:

1. krane
  2. anim.bin
  3. build.bin
  4. output location

Press the copy path button when you select where each item is.
ElcIs5QpLviBZjEzSWTWfdu_qklZdCrb1jxSBFW17RzsMgMGOd4XrWgcVzqYzW0fsSt21eQyKSgKB-RSmajCLzz6vA9Dd73Y2dkibdTPkeBbmPV7lndJVvooFzApFtgmpt5YODxX

Paste each location in a text document in the order I had described. (There are spaces separating each location, also remove the quotation marks) Save this blank text document as a .bat file. (You could name it start.bat or something) You can also just open command prompt or terminal and paste them all in. (In Windows type in "cmd" in the search bar)

To compare, this is what I paste in my command prompt:
(Note: outputfolder is a new folder that is created by the command. The location here is the desktop.)
C:\Users\l0rdgumby\Desktop\ktools-4.4.4\krane.exe C:\Users\l0rdgumby\Desktop\ktools-4.4.4\anim.bin C:\Users\l0rdgumby\Desktop\ktools-4.4.4\build.bin C:\Users\l0rdgumby\Desktop\outputfolder

When the command prompt says "Done" there should be the folder you named in the location you picked. There should be many folders labeling each body part with a .scml file. When you open up the .scml file it opens in Spriter signifying that everything worked! If you were confused by this section, the video I suggested covers this process.

What now?
Note: Please export the outline of your reskin before doing anything else. If there are too many sprites (like the dragonfly) the game will create a lot of messy stuff that isn't fun. So export your outlines and test it as a mod before doing anything else!

You can now view how your reskin will look in game with animations. Before you do anything, change the name of the .scml file to something else. This will be the name of your reskin's build (this won't change the name of the build.bin file name, but it's coded in that file). When reskinning, you get to know exactly what body part you are working on and are able to test it without making it a mod an launching the game compared to method 1. Also, you can directly change the pictures to practically any sizes bigger than the original image (like me changing the catcoon's hand to be a bigger image with a human hand) When you change the pictures, you can view how the game animates them in Spriter. Just to clarify, you should not be moving any body parts or messing in Spriter because that would change the animation and that is not our goal.

First, make sure your reskin you did looks fine in Spriter. Check through any animations it has and make sure they look the way you want.

Go in your mods folder and create a new mod folder and name it animation exports. Create 2 folders inside called anim and exported. Copy and paste everything in your reskin folder into the exported folder. (The folders with all of the body parts and the .scml aka Spriter file)

Double check and make sure everything is in the right place. Next, launch Don't Starve Together. A console window should pop up and mention it is exporting and atlasing your file. When the game finishes and goes to the title screen, exit the game. There SHOULD be a new .zip file in your anim folder. If this doesn't happen, MAKE SURE everything is where they should be and that you didn't make any mistakes.

Go in your anim folder and open the zip file. If the zip file is not named the same way like in the animation files in the game (ex. catcoon would be catcoon_build.zip like in the files. If not, rename it so it matches the file build name) and delete the animation file. There should now be atlas-0.tex and build.bin remaining. Rename the entire zip file to whatever you want and remember this will be used for assets. (I didn't explain this yet it's okay) 

Creating your mod using Spriter:

oB6gjSFqafo7cSzmAdDqz9620eE5TA7LEd11AbfY1djH9zFQFIOEXmZNZghjJZRszucdLT_4hc6DBnAiZ85luHSLb7b46vU3Juyh_1gEyiM_6l6_q9ZtixnPi23WnYI02VGqZXts

From there on, you should have what you need for your reskin. Go to the parts in my guide about making the actual mod after making your reskin.

Making the Mod / Implementation

Spoiler

If you downloaded the mod I made for this guide, you can just copy and paste these files and then edit them to your own liking. Also, the reason why my text looks weird is because I am using Notepad++ instead of regular Notepad.

modinfo.lua

Create a blank text document and write down the following. Save this as modinfo.lua (not as .txt) This is where you put the description for your mod that is seen when people enable it from in the game. Also, this is where you select if this is a CLIENT or SERVER mod. If all clients need it, it becomes a server mod. Also, this means you are likely putting it on the workshop. If it is only client, only the client needs it. What is great about doing a simple reskin of an existing creature is that you have a choice. Take note -- are comments and are ignored by the game.

i2oI6MdCrOlJ2ZLfE0yT6AfBo_iTwczj7NAub1NgY2ZTqeK_Bcb04VEID_rXre7EREpLYB-seurH4HLenrxXS7QkxpeAY0TQO45udQD7z0_-1rVMeQyIFZRSmzRK5NjzALRS0mmP

modmain.lua
Create a blank text document and save it as modmain.lua (not as .txt) The modmain is where the bulk of a mod goes.

modicon.tex

Create a 128x128 png image and put what you want. Convert this to a .tex file with TexTool and rename it to modicon.tex The modicon is the icon people see when they enable the mod from in the game.

modicon.xml

Create a blank text document and write down the following. Save this as modicon.xml (not as .txt) The xml is essentially the information for the modicon.

<Atlas><Texture filename="modicon.tex" /><Elements><Element name="modicon.tex" u1="0" u2="1" v1="0" v2="1" /></Elements></Atlas>

Implementation Method 1: Without Code

Spoiler

Place your zip files that you got from the end of the reskinning method you chose into a new folder called anim. However, if you had a separate zip file for the anim.bin don't put it there. For example, I had walrus_build (containing the atlas and build) and walrus_basic (containing the anim). I would just put the zip file named walrus_build in the anim with THE CHANGED altas and THE ORIGINAL build.bin. We don't need walrus_basic since it's just the anim. 

Implementation Method 2: With Code

Spoiler

Place your zip files that you got from the end of the reskinning method you chose into a new folder called anim. You should have a renamed zip file from the original containing your own atlas and bin. The code below is what should be implemented in your modmain.lua (with green text being comments and are non coding). Replace "walrus" with the prefab name of the creature you are trying to reskin. This can be found by looking up the creature on the wiki and see what is under the code name. In assets, replace walrusguy.zip with whatever you named your zip file. In AddOverrideBuild, replace walrusbodybuilder with the name of your build (this is what you renamed your .scml file to). 

s_WGNv90Luln4rLtARf4G3yipt179qTDvZxEpa0kPF3BFtFJdxfvaQvQCawaiTk-PScUAVSbBdpaKSI9udWsJbotfJSAEPqgSAxixq2bas1l8roZUqch5oZgwb9QX1Y_AduAcHIX

Your mod folder should look like this when you finish:

tPJ5azaiAmbCSlH-v9zPaloAqZQTaURUcW_bj7Wh-RVrHTnp6fMx5Vrt303wwQaGsOdRbRJV1nLiiJ7ufnv3KyTeCNam0DGdOyBTW3TwhLznk57XPODjGfl4wB8gNG4CAWMDXyJ3

You can now open up your game and select your mod. If you have another mod that conflicts with yours, the game won't take it well. (Ex. you download a mod that reskins spiders but you are making a spider reskin mod. Just disable the other one before you enable your own mod)
b66mpDYqG1hcNIQoop2q6qRgTTwM8dcdkCGuewh4J9ps9rbReZm4whuHtAi1pFJLW9JURUD3atPdd97Wwk327OrKhr1OPLrT58TuL7xZpcLlAG8BOYTVyllgfAoOouNEK6PXemEg

Uploading to the Workshop

Spoiler

You did it! You've made your mod and tested it in game. Why not upload your hard work to the Don't Starve Together workshop? To do this, go to Don't Starve Mod Tools. To get there, go to Library > Tools > Install Don't Starve Mod Tools. Open it and then press Play Don't Starve Mod Uploader. You will then need to change the game to Don't Starve Together and hit Add. Another screen will pop up where you will be able to upload your mod.
WHI39H--zVOWVdHzutJMWJrsDFgXmQM5VKVTS3qZ4RUU9O9hXxKdG4azlw9fiQJOJMyuZhF9-_t5xCxvjy1Joi0QC9SxZMBiAp2Q58XcAh449kRX2r_tHzNjrEsqBxg8VLRyeL_C

Data
Click Browse and then select your mod folder.

Preview Image
This is the icon that people will see on the workshop. It should be 512x512 or it will have black spaces that will be unappealing to click on.

Name
This is the name of your mod on the workshop. You can edit this in the Steam workshop when it is uploaded.

Description
This is the description of your mod on the workshop. You can edit this in the Steam workshop when it is uploaded.

Tags
These are tags for your mod. Please don't be that guy that adds every tag.

Before you do anything, make sure you complete the Steam Subscriber Agreement Also, you should check out Klei's guidelines on what you are allowed to mod and etiquette. When everything is ready, hit publish! It will not show up in the workshop's recent tab for a few minutes at minimum, so don't panic.

Changing the workshop page:
kGht7tP_qjZNwvJpU27BnQ9qMHNs7lufzB-xDh3C6wlmEH-n3MppJEPhLsrPVvBrlz093OKmldqpaf4Epdj2_ubODq95-Bcsj1DbTDaVhmP7ghYoPhHzAvKuDWl80Fs9l18vgTuW

Now that you have uploaded your mod, you now have OWNER CONTROLS. Here you can change the description of your mod or add any additional pictures for people to view. The additional pictures do not have to be 512x512. Also, you can change the visibility of your mod. IF YOUR MOD IS PERSONAL OR ONLY MEANT FOR FRIENDS YOU CAN CHANGE IT IN THE VISIBILITY SETTINGS. When you join a modded game in Don't Starve Together, it downloads the mods from the workshop. If you just want a private server with your friends, you can upload your mod and change the visibility settings.

End
Thank you for reading the guide and I hope it was helpful. Again, if you had any difficulties or want clarification, I can take comments here. If you end up making a mod where my guide was useful, I would appreciate spreading the word about this so others that want to reskin are able to.

Edited by l0rdgumby
Added note about dyn files being able to be opened in certain circumstances
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2