About King Crab

21 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I remember back in the beta, PCK has lower stats. Then the day the beta went to the main-branch, Klei omega buffed him and I had to scrap my guide for him. I didn't really understand why they buffed him since I felt like his stats were good during the beta.

It's probably too late to go back to their stats and some tech has since been discovered since then, so idk what Klei should do to make this fight not be in its current state.

Honestly, I feel Crab King's fighting style should vary based on the gems he gets, instead of throwing all its moves at us no matter what we do. (The freezing spell being sort of an exception.)

As a very rough idea, instead of distributing stat tweaks across 6 different things that will always happen in the battle, perhaps his skill could be split into opposing pairs, with different combinations of gems leading to him using just one skill from each pair. So, for instance, you could do claws-geysers as one such pair, where funneling gems towards the former could result in a fight where the Crab King tries to immobilize your boat and attack you directly (with maybe 1-2 geysers cast here and there), whereas funneling gems towards the latter could result in a much more mobile fight where there are only 2-3 frail claws and you need to stay on the move to escape its 6-8 geyser attacks.

Perhaps something similar could be done with its health and health regen stats. "Pair" extra health/healing with some direct (melee?) attack, so you have to decide between a Crab King who is extra tanky but can only attack your boat and a Crab King who attacks you directly (and thus necessitates armor and healing), but is ultimately more frail.

Ideally, these pairs would correspond to one surface gem and one ruins gem (complimentary colors perhaps? so red-green, blue-orange, purple-yellow?) that would incentivize players to use rare gems for an easier or perhaps quicker fight? e.g. red gems would pull CK in the tanky direction, while green gems would pull him into the "glass cannon" direction, potentially allowing more skilled players to finish the boss faster, while letting less skilled players take a longer, but more reliable route.

Archived